Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

RANT: Leave my dang brass alone!

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by jayleno, Apr 8, 2011.

1. jayleno

jayleno Western PDX Member

Okay, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've recently experienced some very unreasonable things, as have some of my compatriots.

If I'm shooting anything, be it .22LR or .380 or gas from my whatchamacallit, LEAVE MY DANG BRASS ALONE! If I leave and it's still there, great. Pick it up, dance around it, have a festival, whatever. But don't pick up my brass while I'm standing there.

Better yet, let's make a deal. You don't pick up the brass i've shot till after I'm gone and I won't call you all those nasty names I won't say in front of your mom.

Ain't shot noone yet, but the day's still young yet.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  2. 24ARTucker

24ARTucker Hillsboro, Oregon, United States Member

Damn skippy

3. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

:complain::complain::complain: Fine, be that way. LOL

4. Shooter98

Shooter98 McMinnville, Or. Member

It's been my experience that all it takes to remedy the situation is a simple and friendly "I plan on keeping those". I have yet to have anyone take it wrong or get upset or butt hurt yet. Simple, and courteous.

5. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

So you are saying the 'scroungers' will approach the distance to where your brass is thrown and start picking it up while you are still shooting?

6. Dizle

Dizle albany, oregon Member

im a brass scrounge, but i dont pick up other peoples brass til they are done shooting and leave, whatevers left is all good

7. tlfreek

tlfreek Vancouver WA Active Member

another problem solved. I swear these boards are like virtual counseling.

8. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

Camel's nose in the tent. Soon, they'll be standing next to you with a butterfly net (eliminates those pesky "neck dings" from the brass hitting the ground). Voice of experience. I'm patenting the technique.

9. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

At an official range if the shooters start dumping factory 1 x brass in one of my calibers into the bin I may ask them if they mind dumping it into a box for me, or if they mind if I sweep it up between shoot sessions if it's an autoloader. I usually have a small posse with me and one of our team who is not shooting at the moment can do that. In return if they seem interested in some of our bad toys we often let them shoot them. It's very impolite to approach someone while they are shooting and start taking their brass.. akin to theft.. but as stated above just normal polite manners solves the issue

If it doesn't then you 'll have to go all Deliverance on them :drunk::club::drunk:

10. olydemon

olydemon Olympia Active Member

Blitz, Have you ever had the triangle pit (Cap Forest) guy try to pick up your brass when out shooting? Ive read some forum posts about how aggressive he is....

11. Blitzkrieg

I don't shoot there (If you mean on the Southwest side) but I am guessing one look at me and he wouldn't try :cool:

12. olydemon

olydemon Olympia Active Member

Yea, the one at Middle Waddel. Ive never been there to shoot, just read about it. Do you go to Capitol to shoot very often?

13. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Reason number 12 I like belonging to a private Club. never having to deal with this. the only time anyone else has picked up my brass at our club was to help me pick it up. Now once in a while another member will accidently sweep up some of my brass while they are sweeping the area they shot at. Again I have always had it returned to me.

We also have a brass barrel where unwanted brass is put. And it is club custom that if you reload your welcome to take any suitable brass you find in the barrel home. I regularly mine the barrel for those calibers we shoot. Sometimes I get a lot sometimes someone else does.

taroman and (deleted member) like this.
  14. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

The brass from my PSL is tossed out with such force that anyone trying to hound it while I'm still shooting is at risk of a concussion...up to 7m away!

15. jayleno

Most times this works like a champ - I've tried it and had about a 85% success rate.

It's that 15% that triggered the original post.....

16. jayleno

Yup - to the extent that flying brass from my current shot lands in their bucket/pocket/hand/mouth/whatever.

As you might guess, a wee bit annoying.

17. Blitzkrieg

Just went last week with my gal, new AR build (ended up having a bad barrel) and new G23

18. i8asquirrel

i8asquirrel Keizer, oregon Member

I spend alot of time shooting a .300whisper Ar that I have to make every peice of brass I have from .223. I put up a brass cathcher on the bench or I will take a paice of cardboard and prop it between my Ammo can and a sandbag to deflect the brass back to My benchtop.The only problem is If its wendy, But I also like the way it cuts some of the other BS.. Sorta like wearing blinders ? I plan to make a PVC. Stand in the near future and fasion a Smelt dipping net or the like as a brass catcher.

19. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

Agreed!
    Although, I do use a brass catcher on my ar15. Not to stop people from stealing it, but so that I dont have to pick it up when I'm done.

20. 284guy

284guy Woodburn Member

There is a guy at tri-county who does that. I think it takes balls to sweep up someone elses brass without asking.