JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok. I'm back
Well I'm glad to hear there seems to be a positive outcome in the offing on this matter. It's a bit hard for many of us to grasp a life so fraught with upset and drama that might lead to the situation with the guns. Thanks for the update and good luck in the future.

Well I'm glad to hear there seems to be a positive outcome in the offing on this matter. It's a bit hard for many of us to grasp a life so fraught with upset and drama that might lead to the situation with the guns. Thanks for the update and good luck in the future.
I agree. It can be difficult to imagine and relate to very difficult circumstances. I recall once when I was about 40 I rented a room to a 20 year old woman, an OSU undergrad. When she started getting it on with her equally young boyfriend I asked her if she was on pills. She wasnt. I said, "Arent you risking getting pregnant?" Her response: "If I got pregnant I would consider it a miracle straight from the hand of God."

My view: Women students usually do not want to get pregnant while they are in school and before they are able to support themselves. It can make finishing school hugely more difficult if not impossible. The timing is just plain inconvenient.

Her view: She had been raped every night by her stepfather from the age of about six to twelve. Doctors had told her there was so much internal damage she would be unlikely to ever be able to get pregnant. She loved children, as did her boyfriend. They were both Catholic, and the first and only partners each had ever had. They planned to get married as soon as they graduated. They wanted a family. They assumed they would have to adopt. If she became pregnant, they would be overjoyed. Nothing would be more important than the possibility of having that baby.

Last Edited:
Catholic enuff... Three Hail Marys, three Our Fathers, and genuflect three times in the direction of Rome...
Right. Catholic enough for these days. Were both celibate until they actually fell in love with someone they thought was the right one to spend their lives with and became engaged. Attended church regularly. Celebrated communion. Were going to the counselling/education sessions for Catholic couples planning to marry. Extensive and interesting I thought. Actually makes couples think and talk with each other about all kinds of aspects of getting along as a married couple, from sexual to financial.

One thing I noticed is that Catholic university students often have a crisis of faith their first year of college. Many reject their childhood religion completely. Those who remain Catholic often decide to pick and choose. For example, using birth control when appropriate. For many Catholic kids the crisis of faith hits about puberty. If you are a good Catholic, you are supposed to refrain from masturbation or even thinking about anything sexual. And you are supposed to confess all such occurrences of "self abuse" or "impure thoughts".

Her view: She had been raped every night by her stepfather from the age of about six to twelve. Doctors had told her there was so much internal damage she would be unlikely to ever be able to get pregnant. She loved children, as did her boyfriend. They were both Catholic, and the first and only partners each had ever had. They planned to get married as soon as they graduated. They wanted a family. They assumed they would have to adopt. If she became pregnant, they would be overjoyed. Nothing would be more important than the possibility of having that baby.
I hope somebody ripped that stepdad's manparts off, ground 'em up into sausage and fed it to him. Or that he went to The Joint and the brothers handled him in their own unique and special way...

I must be a really horrible Catholic... :s0092:

:s0140:
Naw.

The classic joke. Non-Catholic guy is talking with Catholic. NC says "Catholics do this, that, the other and you dont. How come?" Catholic says "That's only good Catholics."

Naw.

The classic joke. Non-Catholic guy is talking with Catholic. NC says "Catholics do this, that, the other and you dont. How come?" Catholic says "That's only good Catholics."
I did some work for a retired nun a long time ago and when everything was done she said she'd pray for me.. I said good luck!

@Certaindeaf , @sobo --
I think the long-term problem of priests abusing children and the entire church hierarchy protecting the priests at the cost of the children has greatly lessened the authority of the Church. So has the fact that various papal decrees marking changes in policy make it obvious that the Pope is definitely not infallible. So most modern Catholics are disinclined to blindly obey the Church. They take what seems relevant and useful and reject what seems or is impossible.

Some of the most impressive families I've known are Catholic. Once in my academic era, for example, I hired a woman, a senior in biochemistry at U of MN, as a part time lab tech. She had a perfect straight-A average, was going to school full time, was working part time, and was guardian of eight younger siblings. Parents had died in an auto accident. Children did not want to be separated. Twelve kids total, the oldest away and with a family of her own. Kids and other relatives met to decide what to do. There was insurance enough to support kids in their own house. But they needed an adult leader and legal guardian. They had plenty of relativeS who would be willing to adopt a kid or two. But none of the relatives could take all eleven, and the kids did not want to be separated.

So one grandmother moved in with kids for a year, and they sent second oldest kid away to UM for a year so she could live on her own for a year without family responsibilities, get herself established as a college student, grow up. Then grandmother left, second oldest kid moved back home and took over as leader and legal guardian, and third oldest kid went off to college for a year. Then third oldest moved back, became guardian, and fourth oldest left for a year of freedom and growing up and starting college. When I met her fourth oldest had just moved back home and become guardian. And fifth oldest was already off to college growing up so as to take over in due course. Neither grandmother nor any of the kids had to bear the full responsibility for more than a year or two. And each kid was allowed at least a year of freedom apart from family before taking over.

I asked the fourth oldest how she managed. She said it was easier than one would think. She did all the legal paperwork and acted as general manager. The rest of the kids did all the routine work, cooking, shopping, cleaning, etc. Each older kid had a younger kid they supervised, got off to school in morning. They had regular family meetings and discussed any problems. They all knew that pitching in and doing the work was necessary in order for them to be able to stay together as a family. So they did.

Last Edited:
Some of the most impressive families I've known are Catholic.
True. I know of at least three such families in the Willamette Valley who are worth a staggering fortune. All self-made. And all three have given back a tremendous amount to their respective communities, mostly anonymous. Or they will put someone else's name on the gift.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews