JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have always kept clear of reloading because I never had the space or time to do such a thing...

Lately it has been different.... I have the time, and can afford a little space,

I was looking into a couple options.
  1. Buy a Lee Classic (the do everything kit)
  2. Buy a press and dies etc.....

I have components, which right now is a good thing.

I've been looking into a BUDGET setup (all Lee products), and I can get everything I "need" to get myself started for right around $200-- That is to do .243 AND .300 Savage.
I've been looking at midsouthshooterssupply.com for some kits and packages...

Some of my questions are on the dies.

1: The .243 is going to be in a BOLT action, so I'm assuming I only need a die that does the NECK?

2: The .300 Savage (my grandpa's old hunting rifle... I'd like to remain proficient with it to honor him) is in a pump 760 Gamemaster- and with that I would assume I'll need a FULL LENGTH setup?

Questions:
I plan on getting a Press, Scale, hand held primer setup, powder trickler, powder dispenser, etc... I'm meticulious and I am to the point where I will actually weigh every load and set every round to the same depth with the same OAL etc.

Dies?

I'm a little confused as this setup:
(I assume this first one being the full length die setup, isn't much needed as my brass will be "fire formed?" to my rifle... I assume? that if I had seconds brass and not NEW brass I would want to run it down a full length die to make it factory spec BEFORE going into my rifle?)
243 Winchester Full Length 3 Die Set | MidsouthShootersSupply.com

with this one:
I assume this one would work fine and dandy for brass that's ONLY fired in my rifle the first time and down the line????
Do I need a collet? What's that really going to benefit?
243 Winchester Collet 2 Die Set | MidsouthShootersSupply.com

Same things too with my .300 sav, I'm assuming I don't need a Full Length setup as it's only ever going to be fired in the same rifle.

OR

Should I just get both as full length dies and be done with it? I'm not going for hole for hole accuracy, these are sport shooting rifles on top of hunting. So I only need to make sure I can get reasonable groupings 2-3" 250 yards with these rifles (well the .243 not the .300 savage)

I really trust and respect the opinions of the people on this board, most have been very helpful in the past...

Last Edited:
Buy the full length set even with "new" brass you should do a full length sizing to start. If you want you can come over and try my set up before buying.

deadeye

I too started out on a budget. I was loading for a bolt action 308 and used Lee's collet die set. They worked great for about 4-5 loads then i needed to "bump the shoulder" back to get them to chamber easily. So i got a FL die and was good to go. If you are looking to make 100% reliable hunting rounds FL might be the way to go. Additionally, if you are feeding a 99 your 300 might run smother with a FL sized case. I have not tried but i have read that you can size the neck only with FL die by backing the die out and watching the progress with soot on the case. Google that for the details. Lee products have served me well, best of luck.

Get a full length sizing die and don't worry about neck sizing only. You need to be more concerned about reliable feeding in a hunting rifle and FL sizing is the best way to do that. Neck sizing only was once considered the way to get the best accuracy but doesn't seem to be the case any more.

Your gun might be different of course, but I have an old 760 also and the chambers require full length sizing. I have fiddled around with partial sizing but it isn't a good idea for reliability, and neck sizing is out of the question.

Make sure you can buy your equipment and ALL components for what you want to reload at a reasonable price. Scalpers are doing their best to take the savings out of reloading. These days you might do better just buying steel case throw away if you just want to shoot. If not; shoot factory, save your brass, and wait for prices to stabilize. Don't even bother with the Lee powder thrower unless you just don't care that much. Fun to play with if you want a hands on lesson on what you shouldn't use to measure your powder and you have a bullet puller. Mine was as new when it went on craigslist. Good luck! I hope it gets FUN to reload again soon:)

Thank you all. Looks like I will just step up to full length for both.... Assuming I can locate!

about the perfect powder measure: I plan on weighing each load anyway and making it precise so a general "area" load to start is what I was thinking.

Far as scalpers: CTD is no longer a valid ordering supply- I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.
I'm trying to locate either Midway, Brownells or Mid-South as the top candidates. Whoever gets me the same product for cheaper.......

Really appreciate the help on the die question!

How important is a factory crimp?

the Lee "Pacesetter" has the FL, seated and factory crimp. I'll assume I want the crimp as its a hunting round and not just going to press the round in.... But I could be wrong.

Try graf & sons for reloading stuff. I started with Lee in 2010, the only other brand I use is a RCBS little dandy powder thrower for pistol. Works awesome.

Also fsreloading (used to be lee factory sales). Usually good stock and prices. Also, I use the lee powder measure for all my pistol reloading and most of my ar (556) reloading as well. It seems to work well with most of the powders I use. I have heard that it is finicky with some.

Hey Dyjital, I have been reloading the 300 Savage for about 15 years, (awesome round). I use Lee dies exclusively, love the "factory crimp die"(fcd),
I have used these (Lee) for everything I reload (7-rifle & 4-pistol), Lee dies have never given me a problem at all, and I have a Lee Pro 1000 that's over 25
years old and still going. Never any issues with the powder measure or the scale, can't go wrong with Lee products.:s0155:

Spoke with deadeye today and if all goes well I should get some great tutoring soon!

If you are just starting out, before you do anything more, buy or borrow a copy of "The ABC's of Reloading". Read it carefully and keep it handy for future reference.

Many questions will answer themselves once you've read this book.

For my money, unless you have a really special requirement, Lee Dies work just fine. I'm not a fan of their presses but I can't argue that they do work.

"The ABC's of Reloading" is just about an essential tool in itself for the beginner.

Just starting out, Lee Loader very inexpensive and easy to use.

If you are just starting out, before you do anything more, buy or borrow a copy of "The ABC's of Reloading". Read it carefully and keep it handy for future reference.

Many questions will answer themselves once you've read this book.

For my money, unless you have a really special requirement, Lee Dies work just fine. I'm not a fan of their presses but I can't argue that they do work.

"The ABC's of Reloading" is just about an essential tool in itself for the beginner.

Although a little spendy the Forster Co-Ax press is incredible. I would say it is the best compromise between traditional single stage and progressive. It is designed for quick change with any brand dies in seconds and the universal shell holder is a truly great design. The only detractor to the Co-Ax is it does not have an integrated repetitive priming system like the RCBS but at this level one should already be using an alternative priming system anyway since the speed and consistency of a separate priming tool cannot be debated.

Thanks gentlemen, was able to get what I needed and have been shooting sub moa already.

I picked up all full length so I can use any brass I ended up getting.

Looked at the site for Titan and they have a complete range of lee stuff. I have found a little better pricing at Natchez Shooters supplies for Lee reloading. I have a couple of their 1000 presses and they work fine on all the pistol calibers I reload. Use a Lee turret press for rifles or a RCBS. Reloading is a good hobby but I could not agree more with the recomendation to read the ABC's of reloading. If you like Lee their reloading manual has a lot of specific infor and set up dialog on their presses and other equipment.

Just throwing it out there, the second hand market is a good place! Just picked up a hornadu l-n-l LNIB for 225 and got 6.8spc and 9mm dies with it, (almost) everything was still in packaging.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top