JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ive been thinking about the p80 stuff, I haven't finished off a p80 AR or Glock frame since at least 2018 or earlier but I still see 80s at certain ffls in WA (not gonna name drop).

So my general understanding of the law is this

-you cannot create/possess an UNDETECTABLE (not p80) firearm aka one whos frame cannot be seen in a metal detector.

-you cannot possess an unfinished frame that has not been serialized by an ffl

-you cannot build a "untraceable" (unserialized) firearm with the intent to sell it.

So, can you still possess a unserialized p80 in WA? I mean an unserialized FINISHED p80 in complete handgun form.

That's what it sounds like…. But how would they know?? 🤔🤔 I understand FFLs keep records, but that's a looooot of paperwork/people to go thru.
Its not really a lot of paperwork. If the gun turns up in a shooting (justified or not) the police run the serial number back to the FFL that engraved it (the serial number contains the FFL code) who is required to keep records of all serial numbers, which I imagine includes the date they serialized it.
At least thats how I understand it.

Its not really a lot of paperwork. If the gun turns up in a shooting (justified or not) the police run the serial number back to the FFL that engraved it (the serial number contains the FFL code) who is required to keep records of all serial numbers, which I imagine includes the date they serialized it.
At least thats how I understand it.
So a guy defends himself with a P80, built before 2019, with no serial....

Seems like under the law that is still legal?

So a guy defends himself with a P80, built before 2019, with no serial....

Seems like under the law that is still legal?
Not the way I read the law.
But Im not a lawyer and just a keyboard commando with an opinion. That said, see Section 2 of RCW 9.41.326.... to me its pretty clear the possession is illegal regardless of any incident that led to its discovery.

If you're looking for a defensive handgun, get something that doesn't come with a bunch of gray area.

Seriously, how much of this is worth the effort?

If it's just for shooting occasionally, then assess your risk and act accordingly.

Even back in the day of shooting with cops, local and federal, not a one questioned where my 2-tax stamped MP5-SD came from.

Your fake glock at the range is likely to raise the eyebrow of all but a mouse down range.

Not the way I read the law.
But Im not a lawyer and just a keyboard commando with an opinion. That said, see Section 2 of RCW 9.41.326.... to me its pretty clear the possession is illegal regardless of any incident that led to its discovery.
That's true. You're 100% correct. States "after March 2023 nobody may..... possess an untraceable firearm.... unless you're LE"

Sounds like a gun grab tho because the first offense is just a fine and confiscation.

If you're looking for a defensive handgun, get something that doesn't come with a bunch of gray area.

If it's just for shooting occasionally, then assess your risk and act accordingly.

Even back in the day of shooting with cops, local and federal, not a one questioned where my 2-tax stamped MP5-SD came from.

Your fake glock at the range is likely to raise the eyebrow of all but a mouse down range.

None of this is about self defense. I don't carry a "fake glock" (your words not mine) as my concealed weapon and I don't shoot at a public range.

It was a simple question about legality of aforementioned firearms.

I remember my first beer.

True, but I cant help but wonder what it would be like to try and buy a [serialized] gun after such a conviction........
Especially in this state. As a guy who owns North of xxx firearms and buys probably a gun a month being modest, i don't like to push boundaries but I do like to see how our fellow folks see the laws.

Yeah, it would really suck for anyone who had some unfinished projects and wasn't aware of the new law that passed until after its too late to get them serialized. Certainly not worth the effort now to consider carry.

I have a factory serialized (100%) P80 I took to a gun range up in Wa recently and the pistol range RSO went awkwardly quiet when he casually asked "whatcha shootin today?" . :p

Yeah, it would really suck for anyone who had some unfinished projects and wasn't aware of the new law that passed until after its too late to get them serialized. Certainly not worth the effort now to consider carry.

I have a factory serialized (100%) P80 I took to a gun range up in Wa recently and the pistol range RSO went awkwardly quiet when he casually asked "whatcha shootin today?" . :p
Haha. Yeah. I avoid ROs and public ranges and I'm lucky to have places to shoot on private land. Or even public land for that matter.

Regardless my carry gun / guns / truck gun are not 80% guns. But this is America so it should not even be an issue if one of them was. But, washington is a neutered gay arse state so there's that.

This falls under the risk assessment part.

Luckily I'm not personally beholden to gun ranges and their random commando-of-the-day RO. YMMV.
No risk assessment for me, mine was purchased originally thru an FFL with BGC (not an 80% frame) so its the same as anyone else. I did have to buy some 10rd mags for Wa. visits though. As for the RSO, he was totally cool and I shall not say what he owns ;)

Haha. Yeah. I avoid ROs and public ranges and I'm lucky to have places to shoot on private land. Or even public land for that matter.
I do 95% of my practice on public land. I keep a membership for those nasty cold rainy days and occasional rifle zero work.
Regardless my carry gun / guns / truck gun are not 80% guns. But this is America so it should not even be an issue if one of them was. But, washington is a neutered gay arse state so there's that.
Whats ironic about 80% guns is they wouldn't even be a thing if anti gunners weren't trying to ban guns in the first place. I figured they were going to be prohibited at some point but doing so still doesnt prevent the real bad guys from building them. Anti gunners created that problem.
Anyways on a different note, you might find some information in this thread interesting.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Oregon Arms Collectors June 2024 Gun Show
  • Portland, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top