JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Gauging acceptance?

• Total voters
Reactions
Many know, but some don't. I am the VP of Trash No Land that @Cogs founded. Him and I as well as one other are Trash No Land. One aspect of what we do is to work to create stewardship within public land recreational shooting communities to prolong recreational shooting on public lands.

Most of what I do for Trash No Land is within Tillamook State Forest with the Oregon Department of Forestry. I helped obtain lanes 1-4 up at Wolf Creek. I hope to assist in adding more opportunities in time.

I work really closely with the ODF and we reveiw many aspects of recreational shooting in Tillamook State Forest.

This survey is not for judgement, more for getting a better understanding of what folks use and consider acceptable for recreational target shooting.

The survey is open to vote multiple times so if you fit more than one narrative please vote accordingly. Please be honest as you can. Provide insight or thoughts to why if you feel it adds to the thread.

Please don't trash people's choices or opinions, this is not about who is wrong or right. This is more for better understanding throughout recreational shooting. Moderators please assist in keeping this strictly a survey and keeping negative comments at bay if they arise.

I will be gathering this info along with what I've witnessed in my time in the forest and work up a report for ODF as well as Trash No Land to see where we can make improvements and or create educational opportunities.

Thanks!

Reno911

Honestly, I'm not sure if you are wanting comments or not, but I'll give you one anyway. I grew up and learned to shoot in the public lands outside Bend.
When I moved over to the valley, I have shot on forest land over here as well. I have shot any number of targets, from household items, paper targets, and steel. Whatever I shot, I cleaned up, and usually more.
However, I grew tired enough of the drunks, the dangerous, and the wannabe operators on public lands. Tired enough that I now pay yearly dues and drive 80 miles round trip to shoot at Albany Rifle and Pistol. From the inconsistent availability of public lands, to the need to hump in steel targets, to the drunks and morons, it sadly has become worth it.

As to your desire to help maintain public access, I applaud your efforts. Not everyone has the funds and access to a private range. The most pressing needs I see are the need to clean up after themselves and not to shoot live vegetation (as in don't nail targets to live trees). Good luck.

As others have said I applaud you and your efforts. For me a lot of it depends on where I'm going to shoot. Over the years the targets have changed used to be whatever empty cans or quart jar lids we could find. Nowadays I mostly shoot at a membership club and use steel or paper plates. When I do shoot while out camping it's usually on steel that I take with me. I won't go to the local (north county) gravel pit as it's a complete disaster in all respects and frankly embarrassing. I took my wife and son to shoot there once about 6 years ago it was his first shooting experience and have a picture of that time that I was going to post on the forum a while back and couldn't do it because of how disgraceful it looked. Surprised it has not been shut down.

Honestly, I'm not sure if you are wanting comments or not
Comments are definitely welcome. Like yours and the others so far, I'm looking for honesty and openness without judgement.

Your thoughts are welcome and they added to this thread as I intended.

Thanks!

So, I have found myself shooting in the locations that Trash No Land are working to keep open and clean. Have always been a paper target shooter, bring my own stands and all.

Over the past couple of years I've invested in a steel plate setup that I find highly enjoyable and less messy to deal with. But in addition to paper and steel, the wife and I also enjoy clay pigeons as targets and always use the biodegradable variety.

I pack out whatever I pack in, always spend time cleaning up others messes and generally try to leave it in better order than when I arrived.

If we don't care of these open locations, one day, they may be closed down for good...

Thanks @Cogs and @Reno911 for all the work behind the scenes to make these locations possible as well as raising awareness to keep things properly policed.

I wholeheartedly support the Trash No Land campaign.

Way back when I shot on private land, right out my back door. Then for years I shot on public land. I shot paper targets and tin cans, not realizing tin cans were against the rules on public land even if you clean them up.

Now I just shoot at the club range. So much public land is closed off, so much garbage, poor backstops, unsafe shooters, etc.. I haven't been out in the woods in several years.

Honestly, I'm not sure if you are wanting comments or not, but I'll give you one anyway. I grew up and learned to shoot in the public lands outside Bend.
When I moved over to the valley, I have shot on forest land over here as well. I have shot any number of targets, from household items, paper targets, and steel. Whatever I shot, I cleaned up, and usually more.
However, I grew tired enough of the drunks, the dangerous, and the wannabe operators on public lands. Tired enough that I now pay yearly dues and drive 80 miles round trip to shoot at Albany Rifle and Pistol. From the inconsistent availability of public lands, to the need to hump in steel targets, to the drunks and morons, it sadly has become worth it.

As to your desire to help maintain public access, I applaud your efforts. Not everyone has the funds and access to a private range. The most pressing needs I see are the need to clean up after themselves and not to shoot live vegetation (as in don't nail targets to live trees). Good luck.

:s0101:

Ditto! Including driving 80+ miles to ARPC.

I used to shoot cans and paper targets mostly, but I've put together a pretty decent smorgasbord of steel to play with. I got a couple dueling trees of craigslist for $10 each(deal of the year)... and a few really nice 1/2" ar500 plates from @IronMonster, along with his stand system, but haven't had a chance to put it all together hickok45 style and try it out yet. The county range I go to doesn't allow steel, and my secret shooting spot is in the middle of an active logging zone so It will be a minute before I get back out there. I'm going to Idaho this weekend and will probably pick up more steel from ironmonster. If anybody wants some I can bring it back with me and save you on shipping... if he has any available that is.

Before the discovery of rules, I shot what ever was there. Thought that bringing soda cans and milk jugs was cool and okay. Glass seemed like a good idea just to see the reaction. Guilty of leaving some stuff behind.

Can't do that any more (could be because of...:rolleyes: )

What changed those bad habits, was seeing the volume of trash others left behind. Made me think about what I was doing and what would happen to our privilege if I continue to do the same. My son helped me realize how disgusting it was and that prompted me to wonder if it would still be available for his kids.

So, I'm not sure how to answer the survey. Before rules or after maturity?

More so of current, vs before.

A story of development doesn't hurt, it adds meaning and character to the thread.

Ideally, I'm looking to understand current target use.

Ideally this could be a thread that helps develop opportunities in the lanes up at wolf creek. Installing clothes lines of sorts for hanging paper targets and such. Also helps create educational material for Trash No Land and Oregon Department of Forestry.

I often shoot on Forest Service/BLM some private Timber, all local to Polk County.

I have several welded/PVC bases w/ firing strips for stands and shoot cardboard IDPA targets that I have cut from any recycled cardboard at home. I have a handful of round steel plates and a reduced IDPA cut steel targets.

If I take my girls, we will take reactive style stuff, the 'produce' you mentioned above, recycled cans, plastic bottles so they can see them move.

Everything get policed and thrown away when we get home.

Like many, I started out with Cans and other reactive targets, but I always packed out what I packed in, Plus, I had bragging rights to targets I had shot, and my brothers and cousins would turn blue with envy! LOL
I had just retired from my 20 in the service and we visited an old fav shooting spot, and found abandoned cars and all sorts of crap, enough that we decided to bring the pick up and trailer and haul off all we could, at considerable expense to our selves ( about $450 cost of fuel, and dump fees, and only got about $120 for the metal):(:(:(
This is a big problem, I know we have had chats here about it before, with the cost of the dumps, and refusal to accept things, folks are more likely to just haul the trash out to the woods and make a day of shooting the crap out of it, and leaving it there when they are done! I see it all the time, and have to shake my head at it all! I can fully under stand both sides of the issue! Then there are the drunks, the hillbillies, and the plain ignorant, but we all suffer.
I make my own target stands, and use card board I get from a box manufacture, when I am done, I recycle it at no cost to me, and the target stands are made of wood, so the impact is very limited. We always bring large garbage sacks and almost always end up filling them up!

Pretty much what MountainBear posted, including the drive to ARPC. I like that I can shoot steel targets and most reactive targets there, not just paper like some other clubs. And no hassle when shooting full auto.

I have shot on public lands. I like shooting reactive targets. Things that fly apart are great. I always clean up at least everything I've shot, if not more.

I started out with paper...mostly because I shot at indoor ranges in the beginning. When I started shooting outside, I brought the paper with me. Several years in the Boy Scouts, however, had already well prepared me for leaving only footprints. We'd police whatever we shot, including our brass and always tried to grab some extra trash. As soon as shooting outside became a regular thing I upgraded to steel targets and have never looked back.

It always surprises me how some people will sink thousands and even tens of thousands of dollars into guns and ammo but won't spend any money on some high quality steel targets. They last forever if you take care of them and I promise you that you'll kick yourself for having waited for so long. :)

Because of Weyerhauser gates I now shoot at ARPC. When I shot in the woods I would usually shoot paper, cans, or clay targets.

I do miss shooting on public land sometimes, especially the amount of brass I could haul in.:)

I mostly shoot paper placed on stands that I make myself. I bought a target stand but do not like that the board for placing targets leaves little bits of plastic.
Sometimes I will shoot an empty can of soda on top of a stick or just on the ground, and occasionally I will just shoot a stick. I've also shot empty boxes of amo.
I want to start shooting clays, thrown or stationary, but I can't seem to find a quarry I like and feel it is only appropriate there or at a designated range.
I dislike crowded areas as well as areas that are trashed... I try to avoid trashed areas because I do not trust anyone who could do that to the forest. If they can litter/dump like that, they aren't likely to be anyone I want to chance running into.

I might like to shoot steel targets, but I am still unsure if they are allowed in Mt.Hood NF or at all in the NF lands. I would likely switch to paper during fire season if I started shooting steel.

I think more public ranges in the NFS and in general are much needed.

At the muzzleloading club I belong to , we shoot paper and steel targets.

When just out by myself or other friends shooting on public land I'll shoot:
( After finding a safe spot with a good back stop )
That odd colored rock or old dead leaf ( not the one on a tree...)
Clay bird remains
Old soda / beer / tin cans
Old spent shotgun shells
I will on occasion bring out tin cans to shoot ...but generally speaking the aforementioned clay bird remains , cans and spent shells ...can be found , left on site by other shooters . ( sadly )
After shooting on public lands I will pick up my shooting debris and the trash left by others.

I am really happy to see all the postings for Trash No land...The idea of shooters being "stewards" is very appealing to me.
The work and effort that the Trash No Land members put into the clean ups , I am sure goes a long way in promoting others to do the same or at least some good will will be gained between shooters and non shooters.

Also I am one to use the lead by example method of teaching and leading ...while I am not a member of Trash No Land...I do clean up shooting sites and I hope that when other shooters see me and my friends cleaning up after ourselves and others , it encourages them to do the same.

To be honest , the clean ups are bit on the selfish side as I do like to get "caught" cleaning up , by both shooters and non gun people alike...if nothing else , just to show that not every gun owner is the slob shooter , who leaves his garbage behind....And I like to hunt and shoot...if the area is closed 'cause of trash...then I can't do either there anymore.
Andy

I'd love to shoot watermelons and milk jugs, but that's a no go at the range. I got tired of being around dangerous and questionable people shooting on public land, so, like others, have to pay to belong to a club where it's safe and clean. Prior to that, we always packed out what we brought and usually more. It boggles the mind how many folks destroy our public lands by shooting up trees and structures and leave behind so much garbage.

Some day, I'm hoping to have some land, enough for at least a 100 yard private range.

I appreciate the work you folks are doing to clean these sites up and to keep them accessible.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top