JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Gauging acceptance?

• Total voters
At the muzzleloading club I belong to , we shoot paper and steel targets.

When just out by myself or other friends shooting on public land I'll shoot:
( After finding a safe spot with a good back stop )
That odd colored rock or old dead leaf ( not the one on a tree...)
Clay bird remains
Old soda / beer / tin cans
Old spent shotgun shells
I will on occasion bring out tin cans to shoot ...but generally speaking the aforementioned clay bird remains , cans and spent shells ...can be found , left on site by other shooters . ( sadly )
After shooting on public lands I will pick up my shooting debris and the trash left by others.

I am really happy to see all the postings for Trash No land...The idea of shooters being "stewards" is very appealing to me.
The work and effort that the Trash No Land members put into the clean ups , I am sure goes a long way in promoting others to do the same or at least some good will will be gained between shooters and non shooters.

Also I am one to use the lead by example method of teaching and leading ...while I am not a member of Trash No Land...I do clean up shooting sites and I hope that when other shooters see me and my friends cleaning up after ourselves and others , it encourages them to do the same.

To be honest , the clean ups are bit on the selfish side as I do like to get "caught" cleaning up , by both shooters and non gun people alike...if nothing else , just to show that not every gun owner is the slob shooter , who leaves his garbage behind....And I like to hunt and shoot...if the area is closed 'cause of trash...then I can't do either there anymore.
Andy
Thank you, Andy, for your good words, teaching and leading! I especially like that last paragraph! I get the same feeling and would rather get 'caught'!

Best wishes to you, Sir!

I just want to say thanks again to you guys spearheading this campaign, Cogs and Reno.

I've thought in the past that "someone should do something" but never did anything myself, always thinking how complicated and time consuming it would be, it'll never work, etc.. Kudos to you guys for stepping up and making it happen.

I've talked to so many people who admit, "yeah, I used to shoot and leave trash, just figured there was so much there already that nobody would ever notice." Those people (like myself) can be reached and educated. The slobs will never change, but most of the rest of us can.

The worst I saw was out of Springfield one time, McGowan Creek. I was walking out through some reprod trees just a few years old. There was garbage from shooting, and some ******* had walked along for a hundred yards or more and blasted every tree at close range with a shotgun, killing them. As someone who has done some logging and replanting myself, it made me furious.

I shoot mostly at paper targets. I recently acquired some steel targets that I plan to use a lot. I usually take whatever plastic soda/water bottles I have at the house and fill them up with water to shoot at as well.

As far as I can tell, shooting at plastic bottles is legal in the state of Washington.

WAC 332-52-145: Firearms and target shooting.

Just clean up after yourself.

Last Edited:
when i started shooting we lived on a few acres up in the mountains, and could shoot anytime at anything we were willing to clean up. We had horses, dogs, cows, pigs, chickens, etc. so it wasn't a option to leave any trash out the a critter could get hurt by stepping or rolling on, or try to eat.. I mostly shot with a pellet/bb gun at quail or rabbit and some squirrel. When i got a bit older and had cash I shot at the same stuff. By the time i moved out on my own and was living in the city i joined a range so i could shoot and it has been paper targets ever since. Now i go to the forest and like others on here i bring a few bags with me and pick up after myself and others because it is so ingrained in me from my childhood not to leave sharp stuff on the ground, because one of my worries is that my dog or others will get their paws cut open or have slivers of glass in it.

Well I learned something here... I was unaware that it is ilegal to shoot cans in the wild. They have always been my go to fall back target when I couldn't find anything else, but I always cleaned up after myself.. making it a point to haul out more than I bring in. Some folks just ruin it for everybody else. I guess it's steel, clays, and paper targets from now on.

If your lucky enough to have access to one, old homestead garbage dumps are seriously target rich environments. My cousins married into a family that has a ranch south of the dalles, Their old dump was home to a rather large population of ground squirrels. After pulling for a trap shoot they hosted..probably 20 years ago... we went out there about an hour before dark, and between the squirrels and the misc. discarded junk, it was really easy to burn a few sleeves of minimags through our 10/22s before it got too
dark. And the best part was... no clean up necessary!

Well I learned something here... I was unaware that it is ilegal to shoot cans in the wild. They have always been my go to fall back target when I couldn't find anything else, but I always cleaned up after myself.. making it a point to haul out more than I bring in.

I think we should be able to shoot most anything we want out there as long as we remove it when done, however, it's in the rules and the rules are law so, we are breaking the law when doing so. It's not that trash is illegal, it's leaving it behind that's illegal. Therefore, if you litter you get a ticket. If not, you should be okay. But that's not how it is. If an officer deems that you are shooting refuse, you could get a citation or worse, a misdemeanor (Offensive Littering class C and/or Reckless Endangerment class A), even if you had planned on taking it home.

I say 'most anything' because there are some things that could contain chemicals, liquids and gases that are harmful to the environment and glass items simply can't be picked up. If shot up, left behind trash, hadn't been a problem years ago, the rule may never have gotten written.

However, we all know a simple sentence on an official document doesn't stop some people from still bringing out the cans, glass, propane tanks and more. I'm afraid we might see more laws, restrictions and closures if we can't keep it in check. Therefore, for the good of preserving the privilege, I feel a strong sense of urgency to spread the word to help improve recreational shooting while combating the sour stigma of guns in the woods.

I see a strong desire for shooting things that react when hit. Although I still take out the paper and Shoot-n-See splatter targets, sound and motion are great satisfaction and gives instant gratification. I now use steel trees and those self healing targets you throw on the ground and bounce all over. I also like those rocking or walking steel targets. When you consider the cost of citations or a criminal record, all the above are well worth the investment!

For the longest time in Oregon,I didn't know it wasn't legal to shoot at plastic containers. I did that a number of times on public land and had odf and osp drive by me. Nobody said a word to me.

It may have been because I was standing on a giant tarp catching my shells and had a bucket and rake next to my car. I think as long as they know it isn't destructive and you'll clean up after yourself, they are happy with that.

I grew up shooting other people's shot hulls and cans we brought from home. We always cleaned up what we shot, unless it was in good enough condition to be someone else's target - different times.

I still shoot pop cans with a .22lr and can be happy for hours - I take them all home and toss them in the recycle bin.

I like the reactive targets and potatoes for bigger guns. Pro tip - potatoes are super cheap at winco and $10 should last you all day shooting from 10 up too 200yards and they are biodegradable, just cut the side your shooting at and you can see them better or pop one of those orange dots you can buy by the hundreds for a few dollars.

Bio friendly clays for the shotguns and the occasional 2 liter after being shaken real well;).

I do not have steel target or stands yet but I do like it when people bring them and share - I'll get there someday:rolleyes:.

For the longest time in Oregon,I didn't know it wasn't legal to shoot at plastic containers. I did that a number of times on public land and had odf and osp drive by me. Nobody said a word to me.

It may have been because I was standing on a giant tarp catching my shells and had a bucket and rake next to my car. I think as long as they know it isn't destructive and you'll clean up after yourself, they are happy with that.

Same here, never had an issue with law enforcement because they saw I was organized and had black trash bags out and cans and plastic bottles set up too shoot.

Honestly, I'm not sure if you are wanting comments or not, but I'll give you one anyway. I grew up and learned to shoot in the public lands outside Bend.
When I moved over to the valley, I have shot on forest land over here as well. I have shot any number of targets, from household items, paper targets, and steel. Whatever I shot, I cleaned up, and usually more.
However, I grew tired enough of the drunks, the dangerous, and the wannabe operators on public lands. Tired enough that I now pay yearly dues and drive 80 miles round trip to shoot at Albany Rifle and Pistol. From the inconsistent availability of public lands, to the need to hump in steel targets, to the drunks and morons, it sadly has become worth it.

As to your desire to help maintain public access, I applaud your efforts. Not everyone has the funds and access to a private range. The most pressing needs I see are the need to clean up after themselves and not to shoot live vegetation (as in don't nail targets to live trees). Good luck.
Here's another thing say your at a shooting spot in the woods you see a group of idots like you said DRINKING shooting junk they took out there then they just pack up and leave if you confronted them about cleaning up WELL YOUR IN THE WOODS WITH A GROUP OF DRUNKS WITH GUNS MMMMMMM NEXT THING YOU KNOW YOUR IN GUN FIGHT OVER A TOASTER THEY LEFT IN THE WOODS it's a mess out there what do you do

I would love to have a range that I could set up Target's and practice shooting on the move walking running or what ever like you said wanna be operators but some of us just want to practice a real life encounter but it can't be done unless you pay big money in some cases to attend a training class

Great thread Reno. And thanks to you, cogs and this forum I have changed my ways when shooting out in mother nature.

There are many things that I used to do that I don't do any longer. I now usually shoot paper targets and would love to use steel but haven't spent the money to do so as of yet.

Cheers to Trash no land for what they do. Look forward to the next clean up in my area this summer.

That is another reason I am going to try to go to the black Rifle league in Renton even though you only get two pass at the range but at least you can meet some other shooters and get to run and gun for 20 bucks SEE THE THREAD IN EVENTS AND GET TOGETHERS POSTED BY AMERICAN 123 LOL I THINK THAT'S HIS ONLINE NAME looks fun

I've said it before even when I go out duck hunting in Skagit county the public spot that was purchased by ducks unlimited but basically taken care of by the BLM and the boy scouts the boy scouts troops building the blinds and blm taking care of the dikes and parking lot and other stuff I always end up picking up trash shells all kinds of stuff IF YOU PACK IT IN PACK IT OUT

First off, thanks for the time and energy you folks have put into this.

When I shoot "in the woods", I'm normally going for the 'fun' aspect, so I'm looking for targets that are dynamic yet easy to clean up. So, dueling stands, reactive targets, tin cans, etc. all fit the bill for me. In the past I have brought old pumpkins but I shy away from that now because it's just messy and leaves a gross mess for the next person.

First off, thanks for the time and energy you folks have put into this.

When I shoot "in the woods", I'm normally going for the 'fun' aspect, so I'm looking for targets that are dynamic yet easy to clean up. So, dueling stands, reactive targets, tin cans, etc. all fit the bill for me. In the past I have brought old pumpkins but I shy away from that now because it's just messy and leaves a gross mess for the next person.
But at least pumpkins are bio lol

Yes thanks to Cogs and Reno for leading Trash no Public land campaign. I normally dont even bring targets when I shoot on public lands because there is normally enough stuff left to keep me busy. It is weird down here. Some areas just get trashed and other areas are really clean even though they are just miles apart. As always haul out a ton of junk. Have talked with various people shooting and about half are friendly, the other half I dont feel safe. Thanks to everyone who trys to keep it clean and safe out there.

Lol my newphew was just at my house watching TV and eating chips and drinking Pepsi watching TV then he gets up and says ok I'm going home leaves the chip bag and his soda bottle sitting on the table I SAY HEY PUNK A$$ YOU JUST GOING TO LEAVE YOUR MESS FOR ME lol he just loves it when I call him PUNK A$$ well he picked up his mess and went home lesson learned

I am a little confused by some of the results of the survey. Over 70% shoot at paper targets, but only 11% use pallets or homemade wooden stands. Are shooters really buying target stands from the store? I have a simple wooden target stand that folds up when done. I use cardboard to attach the targets to. Better than 90% of the target stands I see advertised. Cost was less than $5. I am hoping that shooters are not using trees or rocks.

I am a little confused by some of the results of the survey. Over 70% shoot at paper targets, but only 11% use pallets or homemade wooden stands. Are shooters really buying target stands from the store? I have a simple wooden target stand that folds up when done. I use cardboard to attach the targets to. Better than 90% of the target stands I see advertised. Cost was less than $5. I am hoping that shooters are not using trees or rocks.
I didn't take the survey I just put in my two cents lol REMEMBER ALL THE SURVEY FROM THE PRESIDENT ELECTION HEHEHE ALL WRONG

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top