JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As a teenager in the 70's I once tried stealing some gas from a construction site. I didn't notice the warning sign about guard dog on duty, being pitch black and all.
I never heard that German Sheppard until he took a chunk out of my bubblegum. I've never run so hard in my life.

Just got a visual!! Thanks for the laugh :D

So this is a long term power outage because of a natural disaster. Gas stations, grocery stores, pharmacy's, emergency services will all be complete chaos. Theft and murders go up. Traffic nightmares and roads blocked as well ? Most likely.

Gas or diesel is another thing I prep for. My truck w a 37 gal diesel tank could go 600 miles if driven right on one tank. It's always kept full. And all the farm equipment with the red diesel and storage tanks out there. I could possibly barter for ammo or wiskey or whatever if needed. If I used up my reserves from cans and the tractor. I would avoid a gas station or grocery store after a disaster for as long as possible. But that's just me.

I was not getting that it was to sell the fuel to people. If the electricity is out then the station employees has locked it up and left and are at the deli playing video poker. I was more or less thinking it you wanted fuel, you were going to have to roll in there with a liberation crew to get the gas, and then at least a squad level or bigger protection detail to keep everybody away from you while you got what you want and left. Paying for it never entered my mind.
You are absolutely right on handling the mob that would try to take everything away from you. If it goes to the point that electricity is off for any length of time ~~ food and gas will be hard to get and definitely hard to defend from hungry/empty gas tanks.
Also spent 25 years hauling petroleum, so understand what your saying. Even had to pump several underground tanks out with a rotary hand pump. GOOD arm exercise .

Also consider that any up and running vehicle of any size that is still up and running after a major SHTF situation where commercial power will be non available for several weeks or months will instantly become a HIJACK TAKE-OVER MAGNET. At most any cost.

Particularly a post massive EMP SHTF scenario. Or a massive Solar CME Carrington event. Or the Cascadian 9.5 big one.

A horrible but doable solution would be multiple out rider perimeter guards. Heavily armed. Specific horrible standing orders. Think "The Road Warrior" post major SHTF situations. Best to just up and disappear for about 30 days. Keep vehicles stashed.

Bolt holes. Hunker down. Disappear. Vanish. Avoid ALL Contact.

Unless you really need to be out and about by vehicle ... DON'T. Little water. No food. Too many truly desperate folks with access to a gun. Use your imagination. Things will get very horrible until starvation weakness sets in. Horrible decisions indeed.

The key words here include "Horrible". Gas station product recovery is all and good but ... "then what?". Respectfully. Yikes! :(

Last Edited:
The key words here include "Horrible". Gas station product recover is all and good but ... "then what?". Respectfully. Yikes! :(

Yup...when you manage to get a full tank for a vehicle, where are you going to go unless you have that Mad Max tanker ?
If we are talking about an extended scenario here, I don't see a need for a lot of vehicle fuel except for an escape from your primary retreat if it's becoming the Alamo.
A pressing need for a {multi-fuel} generator could be addressed as a prep supply item for an isolated retreat, and then used only sparingly for things like well pumps, refrigeration, heat etc. Using it for things like lighting would be nice if you want to throw a zombie party.

The vents could be plugged and a hose attached to the ground input, with air pumped into the tank thru the vent, the air would push fuel out the input hose in an extreme emergency

The vents could be plugged and a hose attached to the ground input, with air pumped into the tank thru the vent, the air would push fuel out the input hose in an extreme emergency
The thing to do would be to hook your pickup's exhaust pipe to the vent with a hose of some sort. The exhaust has no oxygen in it, so it would be safer than trying to pump air down the vent.
And the engine in your car pickup does do a good job of pumping air.
A diesel would be ideal.

The thing to do would be to hook your pickup's exhaust pipe to the vent with a hose of some sort. The exhaust has no oxygen in it, so it would be safer than trying to pump air down the vent.
And the engine in your car pickup does do a good job of pumping air.
A diesel would be ideal.
I was thinking air compressor not my cars exhaust for the air being pumped into the fual tank...

I was thinking air compressor not my cars exhaust for the air being pumped into the fual tank...
I depends on the amount of airspace in the tank. Most compressors are good at making pressure at low volumes. A 5k gal tank with only 2k gals of fuel in it would take forever with the average consumer grade compressor.
A gas v8 engine however, would start building pressure in a few minutes at around 2500-3k RPM.
And again. the car exhaust is oxygen free, so there's no explosion hazard.

I depends on the amount of airspace in the tank. Most compressors are good at making pressure at low volumes. A 5k gal tank with only 2k gals of fuel in it would take forever with the average consumer grade compressor.
A gas v8 engine however, would start building pressure in a few minutes at around 2500-3k RPM.
And again. the car exhaust is oxygen free, so there's no explosion hazard.
It's only going to build up so much pressure till the engine doesn't run right

It's only going to build up so much pressure till the engine doesn't run right
But you wouldn't need much pressure. 3-5 PSI would start moving fuel up the line. An engine will easily run with 5-7 psi of back pressure on the exhaust.

Besides, what's the largest non-electric air compressor you've seen?
You'd spend all day filling any significant airspace with a small compressor. Most are only rated at a handful of CFM.

But you wouldn't need much pressure. 3-5 PSI would start moving fuel up the line. An engine will easily run with 5-7 psi of back pressure on the exhaust.

Besides, what's the largest non-electric air compressor you've seen?
You'd spend all day filling any significant airspace with a small compressor. Most are only rated at a handful of CFM.
Sooooo.......
You sit there with a compressor and try to push air into the tank,the whole neighborhood is trying to locate you.
You do the same with your vehicle and the whole neighborhood will know exactly where you are and be there in seconds.
Just sayin:rolleyes:

Sooooo.......
You sit there with a compressor and try to push air into the tank,the whole neighborhood is trying to locate you.
You do the same with your vehicle and the whole neighborhood will know exactly where you are and be there in seconds.
Just sayin:rolleyes:
I've owned a couple of gas powered compressors, and they both make more noise when they're running than my pickup ever did.
Besides, you're gonna be in the middle of a parking lot of a gas station. It's not like you'll be hard to find.

Especially if you're there for 7 hours waiting for your air compressor to start building pressure in 3,000 gallons worth of airspace.
:rolleyes:

The local gas station , convenience store / fast food restaurant was out of commission because their computer system was broke the other day. The clerk could count change so cash worked to buy goodies.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top