JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've got a couple of unopened WWII German rigs with extra canisters.. no idea how good they are. lol

upload_2017-5-9_11-23-30.jpeg

What are you trying to filter out? You'll need to pick the appropriate filter cartridges for the hazard you wish to minimize.

One option is an MSA Advantage 1000. This is pretty much what the Air Force was beginning to issue when I got out in the 90s. Pick up the cartridges like a stacked Organic vapor/Acid Gas/P100 cartridge and you've got a broad spectrum filter.

Other manufacturer's also make full face air purifying respirators. They all make stacked particulate filters on top of other materials like Organic vapors or acid gas. You'll have to do some research to determine what you're trying to filter out.

As far as long noise maker compatible, they'll all pretty much suck. Can't get a cheek weld or sight alignment with any of them. Might be better with a red dot etc.

What are you trying to filter out? You'll need to pick the appropriate filter cartridges for the hazard you wish to minimize.

One option is an MSA Advantage 1000. This is pretty much what the Air Force was beginning to issue when I got out in the 90s. Pick up the cartridges like a stacked Organic vapor/Acid Gas/P100 cartridge and you've got a broad spectrum filter.

Other manufacturer's also make full face air purifying respirators. They all make stacked particulate filters on top of other materials like Organic vapors or acid gas. You'll have to do some research to determine what you're trying to filter out.

As far as long noise maker compatible, they'll all pretty much suck. Can't get a cheek weld or sight alignment with any of them. Might be better with a red dot etc.
It wouldn't hurt to put a HEPA in that stack

It wouldn't hurt to put a HEPA in that stack
They've changed the name from simply HEPA to a group of sub-categories now. HEPA cartridges are broken down by N, R, and P now (95, 99, and 100). N isn't effective in an oil mist, R is resistant, and P is permissable. 95 is 95%, 99 is 99%, and 100 is 99.97% effective against a certain size particulate.

P100 is the broadest possible acceptance level and is the old broad HEPA designation. Stacking the P100 on top of an organic vapor/acid gas cartridge (or buying them that way) gives a pretty good broad spectrum filter system.

There are "gas masks" in the industrial settings but the only real difference is the size of the filter cartridge. In an industrial setting the selection is precise against the hazard and only then if there are certain characteristics inherent in the material and with monitoring etc. Equating a workplace filter with a military "gas mask" isn't quite 1-1. There again, they're going against known threats. That's what it boils down to: what are you trying to filter out?

Our need here in SW OR USA would be the local perhaps temporary very heavy wildfire smoke conditions. We experienced this back in 2001 or so with the Florence Biscuit fire. Your needs may be specifically different. Our other uses would be very limited.

Check out USGI MILSURP M40's. Ambi-ports for (readily available) NATO screw-on canister-filters, water-tube capable... you can breath in CS gas environments for weeks with one... and look like Barney-BA, LOL!

It's better than the old M17's (Chzech's have MILSURP "rip-offs" out there) that require the "cheek pocket" filter elements that take a bit of practice to swap out, plus the filter elements are not as readily available as canister-filters.

Oops.... I meant the M40 pro-masks!!

Last Edited:
Check out USGI MILSURP M24's. Ambi-ports for (readily available) NATO screw-on canister-filters, water-tube capable... you can breath in CS gas environments for weeks with one... and look like Barney-BA, LOL!

It's better than the old M17's (Chzech's have MILSURP "rip-offs" out there) that require the "cheek pocket" filter elements that take a bit of practice to swap out, plus the filter elements are not as readily available as canister-filters.

What about the M15 Israeli Gas Mask? Relatively inexpensive I assume they use NATO filter canisters?

Israeli Military M15 Gas Mask | Army Navy Sales

I guess the big question here is "what for".

I have a few different masks, over-all I would probably say as a "milsurp" mask, the MSA millenium is probably the most comfortable. It has a very large bubble type eyepiece, and it's a little difficult to get on a gun with, but not too bad. The FR-M40 (made by 3m) is quite similar. If you look around you can find either of these for about $300, and another $40 for the canisters. The CBRN canisters are the most expensive of the lot, buying specific N-95, P-99, OV etc filters is the cheapest option, and if you look around, occasionally AO safety will have the PAPR unit on sale for another $400 or so.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top