JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh, I didnt know I was in charge of the date. If the next one is 2/21 do we want it 2 weeks later on the weekend of 3/7? how does that sound?

It could be the next weekend, if you wanted. March 7 is okay too, as you may have more volunteers rested up and available. I'll be out of town that weekend so won't be able to be there. If you will take care of the sign in sheet and be the 'go to' guy, we're set. I'll contact you via private conversation, we'll finalize some details and post an event notice soon.

Thanks, man!

It could be the next weekend, if you wanted. March 7 is okay too, as you may have more volunteers rested up and available. I'll be out of town that weekend so won't be able to be there. If you will take care of the sign in sheet and be the 'go to' guy, we're set. I'll contact you via private conversation, we'll finalize some details and post an event notice soon.

Thanks, man!

we would want as many people as possible. How about 2/28 then, a week sooner?

Randy also said we will need people to sign volunteer wavers. They can be signed the day of the cleanup but we will need to get them from him before the day.

I'm going to see if I can get sportsmans warehouse involved in this one. Also consider me in on the 28th.

Hold tight on the Feb 28th idea. If Hwy 224, in Clackamas, doesn't reopen by this weekend, I may need to move the Mt Hood project off to the 28th.

I'm hoping to hear any day now.

I went up today to see what we can expect. I stopped at the first spot in the maps above.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.7796868,-123.3693699,594a,20y,41.48t/data=!3m1!1e3

Its definitely accessible by regular car though the roads are pretty narrow and there is going to be limited places to park
sbEAgml.jpg

Distance to the backdrop is about 100-120 yards.
PtbFvF7.jpg

The forest service posted the rules though they are being ignored
1B037vm.jpg

Looking back at the road about half way up
aCGGcvd.jpg

Trash is mostly shotgun cases, broken pigeon clays, glass. I saw zero brass so some must pick it up

VpPON06.jpg
IVPigQl.jpg
Gp96Mve.jpg

Not as bad as I expected. 10 people would probably have this cleaned up in an hour

Nice recon work, bolus! I'm sure there are other places within a short distance. We could disperse crews to hit other spots.

I'm hoping to hear, today or tomorrow, about the Mt Hood project date. It all hinges on the 224 road opening in time or not. At this point, chances are we going to have to bump it out to the 28th this month.

I'll let you know as soon as I know. Then we can pick a date for Tillamook, so we don't conflict with project dates.

Bill

Went up today again to the same place. The areas a little higher are a little worse off for garbage. Cleaned up it would be a really nice place for shooting. This place is about 50 yards.

We picked up a garbage bag worth of trash and a few hundred brass.
GStF3uC.jpg

4sq9DNN.jpg

bkGBZ4l.jpg

Sportsman's warehouse in Hillsboro is donating some gift cards and coupons for the next cleanup to give away to the volunteers. Make sure you show them some thanks

18645 NW Tanasbourne Dr
Hillsboro, OR 97124-7129

One thing, IF you ever find any kind of identification in the trash that you find turn it into the sheriffs dept, police department forestry dept, anyone that will follow up on it and get these people. I know people who have discovered all kinds of addresses and such that ended up getting the bums caught and fined. Money/fines hurt, its a great teacher.

I didn't read the whole thread, getting here late... but has anyone ever thought about making some signs for popular spots that get heavily trashed? People ignore laws for spite, because they have contempt for "The Man," or whatever.. or since the trash they leave gets packed out after they leave it, maybe they assume "the forest service" or some other minion of "The Man" cleans it up, so they don't need to. But these same lazy bubblegum morons would probably have different feelings if they knew it was just respectful/responsible/better-than-they people cleaning up their messes. I feel like a sign that said something like "Hey dickhead - I'm getting tired of cleaning up your crap so we don't lose our shooting rights in this area - pack your own bubblegum out, please. Thanks" would have a better impact.

I feel like cleaning up other peoples messes all the time just perpetuates the idiots' perception that other people will clean up their messes.

The signs will probably get shot at by idiots. But I was thinking something at the area that says "this site was cleaned by volunteers from NWfirearms.com, please keep it clean so that we dont get these areas shut down"

Just thinking out loud here, too bad a person couldn't set up a trail cam in a good spot and get some lic plate #s. Along with some suitable pictures of people/cars/pickups for framing. :D

Sportsman's warehouse in Hillsboro is donating some gift cards and coupons for the next cleanup to give away to the volunteers. Make sure you show them some thanks

18645 NW Tanasbourne Dr
Hillsboro, OR 97124-7129

Stopped by to get the stuff tonight. Wow, Im really impressed with their generosity. We got 7 gift cards and 35+ $10 coupons to give away from Sportsman's. Looks like we should have at least something for every volunteer

1X48uoh.jpg

I didn't read the whole thread, getting here late... but has anyone ever thought about making some signs for popular spots that get heavily trashed? People ignore laws for spite, because they have contempt for "The Man," or whatever.. or since the trash they leave gets packed out after they leave it, maybe they assume "the forest service" or some other minion of "The Man" cleans it up, so they don't need to. But these same lazy bubblegum morons would probably have different feelings if they knew it was just respectful/responsible/better-than-they people cleaning up their messes. I feel like a sign that said something like "Hey dickhead - I'm getting tired of cleaning up your crap so we don't lose our shooting rights in this area - pack your own bubblegum out, please. Thanks" would have a better impact.

I feel like cleaning up other peoples messes all the time just perpetuates the idiots' perception that other people will clean up their messes.

Randy from the dept of forestry said it would be fine for us to put up a sign at the clean up spot saying that "volunteers cleaned up your mess" or something similar

Late to the thread... did the cleanup already happen? I'm in to help if not. Swinging by that Sportman's today (planning to anyway) I'll make sure I mention the donation to the manager.

Good stuff

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top