JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think I mentioned this before, it isn't just shooting areas where people dump trash. It is often rural areas, especially near suburban areas.

Clark Hill road between Farmington and Scholls Ferry road seems to be a target area for trash dumpers. I see furniture, mattresses, etc. in the ditch all the time. Yesterday I saw someone had dumped a large pile of trash in a driveway of a recently cleared area (not sure if they are going to build a house there or put in an orchard).

Too cheap and/or too lazy to take their trash to the dump, so they dump it on someone else's property and make it someone else's problem.

Yes, this pisses me off.

I'll see if I can got out Friday afternoon. Thanks for coordinating

Bolus, I got this reply back from Mr. Peterson. Thanks for taking care of this!

Hi Bill,

North Fork Wolf Creek Road that is displayed on the map in your e-mail is on state forest land. There is however some property to the north of the road that is private. Eric did leave me a voicemail message earlier today. I just got back to the office though and haven't had a chance to call him back. Looks like there will be an opportunity for me to meet with Eric on Friday. I will call him back on Thursday morning.

Look forward to visiting with you by phone,

Randy Peterson
Oregon Department of Forestry

Google Sreen Wolf Creek Rd.png

I think I mentioned this before, it isn't just shooting areas where people dump trash. It is often rural areas, especially near suburban areas.

Clark Hill road between Farmington and Scholls Ferry road seems to be a target area for trash dumpers. I see furniture, mattresses, etc. in the ditch all the time. Yesterday I saw someone had dumped a large pile of trash in a driveway of a recently cleared area (not sure if they are going to build a house there or put in an orchard).

Too cheap and/or too lazy to take their trash to the dump, so they dump it on someone else's property and make it someone else's problem.

Yes, this pisses me off.

With our primary focus on improving the forest target shooting problems, I gotta say that I'm sure we won't be taking on clean up projects along rural or suburb roads at this time. There's just too much of it all over the place and if we got sided tracked on projects like that, we wouldn't be making that much of a difference in the forest (where we're getting a bad name because of shooting trash and tree damage).

But yes, I agree, that sickens me as well!

Not suggesting that we clean up the stuff I saw. I think the county picks up the stuff in the ditch because it doesn't last long. Stuff on private property eventually gets cleaned up by the owners.

Just saying there are a lot of slobs out there and it makes me mad because they think the countryside is their personal free dump. I would really like to catch them in the act.

Anyone have any other areas that they might want to tackle in the future? while I'm there Im going to ask about other shooting sites on the west side. So I can at least be a reference since we always have people asking where to shoot. Then if we arrange another cleanup we'll be ready to go

If you see garbage in the woods, take a quick look and see if they left any identification like junk mail etc. The law enforcement for Forest Service or BLM will contact the person about it.

I found a receipt from a contractor by some construction debris and gave it a the deputy working for the BLM. He went out and contacted the contractor.

Someone in SO found a pile of garbage and ID, posted her name on Craigslist.

Not suggesting that we clean up the stuff I saw. I think the county picks up the stuff in the ditch because it doesn't last long. Stuff on private property eventually gets cleaned up by the owners.

Just saying there are a lot of slobs out there and it makes me mad because they think the countryside is their personal free dump. I would really like to catch them in the act.
ABout 30 minutes after posting this I left for work, and about half a mile down the mountain road I live on, someone had dumped a couch in someone's driveway. It looks like they forgot some cushions so they dumped those up the road a little further on.

I wonder how they would feel if I dumped garbage in their driveway? :mad:

I had a very good meeting with the Dept of Forestry guys today.

I might even start a new thread specifically for this since it was great information
Some things we discussed.

1. They are starting to map each of the shooting areas. I got a map of probably ~100 places where people shoot near hwy 26 and Browns camp. Some are good spots, some are bad spots but have garbage. This includes areas in desparate need of clean up

2. I got a map of exactly where the public and private lands are West of Portland

3. They are interested in having a group of experienced shooters help them to designate and set up good shooting areas. Perhaps even find a good area to specifically set up for shooting. This will get us good areas to go and help reduce the people who just stop off the side of the road and shoot trees.

4. We discussed a adopt a highway like program, but instead would be a "adopt a shooting area." They have people who volunteer for the hiking and motorcycle trails, and they are interested in having experienced shooters be involved in helping them manage the shooting areas in a similar fashion

5. They want to help with finding ways to let people drop off their trash at camp sites or designated dumpsters for those not going on group clean ups.

This was very exciting. If we get some regular shooters who are interested in such activities, we could really help shape some great shooting areas working together.

They were also very happy to get our help and very excited to start working with us

Im going to start working on transferring some of the stuff on the paper maps to google maps to share with your guys. That's my project for this weekend.

Good show, Eric! This kind of involvement is exactly what @Joe Link wants to happen. He has a plan for those maps!

These are all great ideas! We need to work closely in the development of these. I think you and Joe Link need to share some of this. I'll work with you guys and we'll get some good stuff happening in Tillamook State Forest.

Thanks again!

This is great news! When the time comes if I can make it I will head up that way. I have never shot up that way but used to wheel at Browns Camp many years ago.

Ok lets see if this works. I drew a box around the public area that we will want to focus. In particular the clear cut area is public land and the most dirty. You can even see the trash from google earth if you get close enough. The points are probably good focus area for us

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zHmc6M4rXjtw.kv_wtfw-CAlw

Here is the pic of the map they gave me of the area. The area that I highlighted in yellow is the area in need of clean up. The blue areas are public land. anything in white is provate

d6XBRQ5.jpg

finally a 3D view from google earth incase the link above does not work. the circled areas should be focus of clean up. 2 on the left that are circled are short distance but have good back drops for shooting

KNg5nce.jpg

We're on, good buddy! What date would you like? (and I don't mean blonde or redhead or...)

Allow at least 2 weeks for sign up and State notification.

You choose the date and I'll post a sign up sheet with info & map link. I'll notify Tillamook of the date & plans, (you can call them as well), and I'll post that thread in the NWFA Volunteer section. You and I can work out any other details by Private Conversation messages.

I'll get Joe Link to add a 'Pop up' notification so that it will automatically 'Pop up' onto the screen when anyone gets on to NWFA. I'm sure we'll have a great turn out for this.

Plan on a good time and a good deed! Let me know when you want to do this.

Great work!

Bill

Just not Feb 21st. (Yet anyway). We're planning another one on that Sat and want as many as possible to be at that one. You'll see the pop up thing when that happens. Other than that, any Saturday would be great!

Last Edited:
Ok lets see if this works. I drew a box around the public area that we will want to focus. In particular the clear cut area is public land and the most dirty. You can even see the trash from google earth if you get close enough. The points are probably good focus area for us

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zHmc6M4rXjtw.kv_wtfw-CAlw

Here is the pic of the map they gave me of the area. The area that I highlighted in yellow is the area in need of clean up. The blue areas are public land. anything in white is provate

View attachment 161691

finally a 3D view from google earth incase the link above does not work. the circled areas should be focus of clean up. 2 on the left that are circled are short distance but have good back drops for shooting

View attachment 161692
FYI, the second circle has a big mud hole right at the road and there is a bunch of trash right where the road goes up to the third circled area. I blew out my knee so I hope the clean up will be a few weeks out so I can come help! Gary

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top