JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Why is it that people will pick up there brass but not there garbage... Or when,you can see that they had a fire going and there are just shot gun shells everywhere ... Like literary everywhere... Boxes everywhere, targets shot to bubblegum ... Like come on man ..

Last time me and a few guys went out shooting, I took my trailer and a bunch of garbage bags. We mounded up trash in a 4x8x2 trailer. It hardly made a dent but it did look a little better. Might have to take the trailer every time we go. I asked the guy at the dump if I got a discount for cleaning up public land but it was a no go. He has to do it at his favorite hunting spot too.

Why are people so hell bent on trashing our public lands? They aren't going to be happy until all access is closed off. Part of the explanation was the needles and crack pipe we found near the still smoldering burn pile. All the shotgun shells and broken beer bottles tell another part. Add to that the appliances and remanents of a travel trailer pushed off the side of the mountain, and you have a pretty clear picture of who these people are. Sadly these days, it feels like they might be part of the majority.

I bring extra heavy-duty garbage bags and five-gallon plastic buckets with me to pick up the area, in between trips to the targets and before I leave. If it looks like other shooters are going to leave without picking up their mess, I just hold up an extra garbage bag and ask if needed one for their trash. Pretty obvious they didn't plan to pick stuff up, but it does seem to shame them into making at least a token effort.

To answer the thread title question.......

No. Nobody can tell you why people do anything. Humans are generally a dumb and selfish species. Generally.

Uncouth people are, alas, the norm. Though at this junction I cannot say I care all that much. These days, I do 90%+ of shooting on my own land (or a close family member) and clean up said to the degree that is fitting.

Perhaps, like those that leave their empty popcorn/soda containers in the theater or too lazy to put a shopping cart back.... They think cleaning up is someone else's job.

I bring extra heavy-duty garbage bags and five-gallon plastic buckets with me to pick up the area, in between trips to the targets and before I leave. If it looks like other shooters are going to leave without picking up their mess, I just hold up an extra garbage bag and ask if needed one for their trash. Pretty obvious they didn't plan to pick stuff up, but it does seem to shame them into making at least a token effort.
I might have to start doing,that ... I always get a fire going (weather permiting) and try to at least burn,everything... But bringing a trash bag just to offer to guys seems like a good idea to me

Last time me and a few guys went out shooting, I took my trailer and a bunch of garbage bags. We mounded up trash in a 4x8x2 trailer. It hardly made a dent but it did look a little better. Might have to take the trailer every time we go. I asked the guy at the dump if I got a discount for cleaning up public land but it was a no go. He has to do it at his favorite hunting spot too.

Why are people so hell bent on trashing our public lands? They aren't going to be happy until all access is closed off. Part of the explanation was the needles and crack pipe we found near the still smoldering burn pile. All the shotgun shells and broken beer bottles tell another part. Add to that the appliances and remanents of a travel trailer pushed off the side of the mountain, and you have a pretty clear picture of who these people are. Sadly these days, it feels like they might be part of the majority.
Yep. And you're about to loose the Jackson Butte area, if that's where you go to shoot. BLM is proposing to close it for 2 years and another recreation group is proposing to have it closed permanently. Trash No Land has started an education & awareness effort and is proposing to evaluate the situation, close the unsafe places and leave the safe places open. Also proposing improvements to the safer places. We need more people in Southern Oregon to get involved. Southern Oregon Shooting Info Deadline for comments is Feb 15th.

The problem is huge and wide spread. It's not going to be solved overnight, nor by one or two cleanups. Management agencies need to start moving on developing shooting lanes. Just like they do for trail recreation. However, it won't happen if responsible shooters don't get involved.

Bill

Why is it that people will pick up there brass but not there garbage... Or when,you can see that they had a fire going and there are just shot gun shells everywhere ... Like literary everywhere... Boxes everywhere, targets shot to bubblegum ... Like come on man ..
Bottle bill for shotgun hulls! Cash money gets picked up.

I suspect it's much like whining about our politicians & the encroachment on our gun laws. We gripe yet "do" nothing...Yes I've been guilty of this and only recently have been active in fighting against this with my money and time.

Point is at some point we will all feel disgust with what's happening and finally spring into action, not leaving it to "Someone else" to do for us. I pray when we do it's not to late.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top