JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can't reload trash haha

Lazy people man!
I bring few extra 55gallon trash bags up and always cleanup for people before me... it's annoying but I want my shooting spot to be open!

I'm seeing more and more buttholes who won't even sweep up their brass at the range. I can imagine what the inside of their houses look like.
I sadly see this a lot at the range I use. Often after I am done I end up cleaning up after a few others who seem to think their mother works there. It's just the "I can't be bothered crowd". It's not just shooting. When I walk my dogs I pick up after them. An amazing number just walk off. These are the same people who if they step in waste from another dog though cuss up a blue streak. Unless it effects them they could care less.

No joke I pick brass up and clean a area weekly . last weekend 2 steel rims a oxygen welding tank a couple metal frames from burned out mattress and couch plus 2 bags oo crap..just 1 weekend fairly small area

in my opinion people just don't care. they don't want to be good stewards and responsible outdoorsmen because if the "range" area gets closed they will either ignore it or go and ruin somewhere else.
also once they shoot the crap out of something they don't want to haul it too the dump to get rid of it. they always use the excuse "oh we will just leave it for the next guy"
unfortunately more enforcement costs money or maybe they can bus all the vagrants out of the city and do a police call of areas to earn a wage. call it "community" work and use it tier up their benefits.
I don't know what the answer is as shooters ruining areas gets significantly worse each year.

I think if there was an easier way to get rid of the trash more people would take more. Picking up brass and throwing it in your garage is easy. Picking up several tires, a washing machine, parts of cars, bits of iron, broken glass, etc., and dispose of it is not so easy. Most of the stuff you can't just throw in your trash can or even take it to the dump unless you sort it all out and separate the different material. Tires are hard to get rid of as is broken glass (not to mention it's a pain to pick up, even worse than brass).

And yes, I will leave it in the wild rather than have it pile up in my drive way while I try to figure out how to get rid of it. And frankly, the cost of making trips to the dump is getting more expensive and harder to utilize for individuals. I don't mind filling up the bed of my pick up, but if I have nowhere to take it, I'm not going to do it. I suspect that many others would take out more if they had a way to get rid of it as well... or at least an easier way to get rid of it than what is available for most of us.

I know some aren't going to like hearing it, but if we had less assault style weapons available, we'd have less trash being shot up and cluttering the landscape. From what I've seen, a lot of the people shooting up the appliance and cars and tanks, wood structures, etc. are the ones that want to shoot 100 rounds a second out of massive magazines until the barrel melts off. For those, it's worth the trouble of hauling all of that junk in so they have lots of targets to waste 1000 rounds of ammo on.

Mike

I know some aren't going to like hearing it, but if we had less assault style weapons available, we'd have less trash being shot up and cluttering the landscape. From what I've seen, a lot of the people shooting up the appliance and cars and tanks, wood structures, etc. are the ones that want to shoot 100 rounds a second out of massive magazines until the barrel melts off. For those, it's worth the trouble of hauling all of that junk in so they have lots of targets to waste 1000 rounds of ammo on.

You serious? AR15s make people irresponsible pigs? How old are, 'bout 25? Maybe? The forests have been used as dumpsites LONG before you were a tingle in your dad's scrotum.

That's has to be the most ignorant thing I've heard here in my 10 years.

Bottle bill for shotgun hulls!
Yep - been saying this myself for years.
And while it's easy to 'point the finger' at what you think the root of the problem is -this is VERY true:
The forests have been used as dumpsites LONG before you were a tingle in your dad's scrotum.
And appliances were being shot up since before AR's were made by one manufacturer!

It may be ridiculous to you, but from what I've seen, the trash that is shot up is from those with high capacity magazine rifles and shot guns. Sure, humans have been using the land and oceans as their dumping ground since trash was invented and things have been shot up since sling shots have been invented, it's taken that it is way to easy to purchase high capacity magazine guns to take destroying the trash to a new level. It doesn't matter that it has always been going on, it's going on at a much higher level today.

You don't like my opinion? That's ok, regardless of what you think though, using of assault style weapons by irresponsible people is still going to be used as one of the main reasons to shut down all public shooting areas.

Mike

Shooting on public land is free. Some people put little to no value on something that is free and therefore, have little to no respect for it. Those are the ones who are ruining it for the rest of us. They don't value it and don't have any respect for it being free.

Shooting on public land is NOT free. It does have a cost. It costs the tools to do the recreation, the ammo to test your skill, the targets that don't lie and give excitement and pleasure to hit, the fuel and vehicle wear & tear to get there, the taxes you pay out of your paycheck and the disposal cost when all is said and done.

But the cost of all that does not translate into the VALUE of free shooting and does not generate a feeling of respect for the privilege.

So how do we create a perceived VALUE that would instill RESPECT?

I don't have the answer but I think about it all the time. It is so overwhelming that I often think I should just leave it and let it run it's coarse into closure. But then I also think of my kids and their kids and where will it be years from now. Shutting down shooting on public lands effects the shooting sports, hunting, access to the great outdoors, hurts private enterprise, further restricts gun owners and weakens our ability to become proficient in the use of a gun. All that is the VALUE I see in being able to shoot free on public land. So I can't stop trying to come up with solutions.

The free dumpster in the woods idea... Again, free = no value, no respect. "Why take it to the dumpster? There's 'do-gooders' who will do that. And look, let's bring out that pile of trash at the house. It's free here!"

It's the AR15 assault weapon! Sorry, Mike, I disagree. It's the user. Just like all the other crimes committed with a gun. The user did it, not the gun. I do agree with the point that many more people are getting carried away the fun of blasting a thousand rounds as fast as you can at anything that's out there (even the trees). They seem to loose control and all sense of common sense. "But hey, I saw it on YouTube and that looks like fun!"

Should we create a bill that would require a permit to target shoot? A bill that would require a deposit on shotgun hulls? A 'Three Strikes You're Out' bill that would take away your privilege to shoot?

I've also thought of seeking a grant from a foundation that would pay for more law enforcement for at least 1 year. The revenue generated from the fines they dish out would go toward their next years salary.

A sting operation. Would still like to do that. Getting kind of risky and close to the vigilantly side of things.

Thinking, thinking... Always thinking! (It drives me nuts!)

in my opinion people just don't care. they don't want to be good stewards and responsible outdoorsmen because if the "range" area gets closed they will either ignore it or go and ruin somewhere else.
also once they shoot the crap out of something they don't want to haul it too the dump to get rid of it. they always use the excuse "oh we will just leave it for the next guy"
unfortunately more enforcement costs money or maybe they can bus all the vagrants out of the city and do a police call of areas to earn a wage. call it "community" work and use it tier up their benefits.
I don't know what the answer is as shooters ruining areas gets significantly worse each year.

Kind of coincides with peoples moral beliefs, doesn't it? This whole damn country needs to be cleaned up... IMHO..

Shooting on public land is free. Some people put little to no value on something that is free and therefore, have little to no respect for it. Those are the ones who are ruining it for the rest of us. They don't value it and don't have any respect for it being free.

Shooting on public land is NOT free. It does have a cost. It costs the tools to do the recreation, the ammo to test your skill, the targets that don't lie and give excitement and pleasure to hit, the fuel and vehicle wear & tear to get there, the taxes you pay out of your paycheck and the disposal cost when all is said and done.

But the cost of all that does not translate into the VALUE of free shooting and does not generate a feeling of respect for the privilege.

I don't have the answer but I think about it all the time. It is so overwhelming that I often think I should just leave it and let it run it's coarse into closure. But then I also think of my kids and their kids and where will it be years from now. Shutting down shooting on public lands effects the shooting sports, hunting, access to the great outdoors, hurts private enterprise, further restricts gun owners and weakens our ability to become proficient in the use of a gun. All that is the VALUE I see in being able to shoot free on public land. So I can't stop trying to come up with solutions.

The free dumpster in the woods idea... Again, free = no value, no respect. "Why take it to the dumpster? There's 'do-gooders' who will do that. And look, let's bring out that pile of trash at the house. It's free here!"

It's the AR15 assault weapon! Sorry, Mike, I disagree. It's the user. Just like all the other crimes committed with a gun. The user did it, not the gun. I do agree with the point that many more people are getting carried away the fun of blasting a thousand rounds as fast as you can at anything that's out there (even the trees). They seem to loose control and all sense of common sense. "But hey, I saw it on YouTube and that looks like fun!"

Should we create a bill that would require a permit to target shoot? A bill that would require a deposit on shotgun hulls? A 'Three Strikes You're Out' bill that would take away your privilege to shoot?

I've also thought of seeking a grant from a foundation that would pay for more law enforcement for at least 1 year. The revenue generated from the fines they dish out would go toward their next years salary.

A sting operation. Would still like to do that. Getting kind of risky and close to the vigilantly side of things.

Thinking, thinking... Always thinking! (It drives me nuts!)

I like and respect the way you think!!!!!!

It may be ridiculous to you, but from what I've seen, the trash that is shot up is from those with high capacity magazine rifles and shot guns. Sure, humans have been using the land and oceans as their dumping ground since trash was invented and things have been shot up since sling shots have been invented, it's taken that it is way to easy to purchase high capacity magazine guns to take destroying the trash to a new level. It doesn't matter that it has always been going on, it's going on at a much higher level today.

You don't like my opinion? That's ok, regardless of what you think though, using of assault style weapons by irresponsible people is still going to be used as one of the main reasons to shut down all public shooting areas.

Mike
So, by you logic which is worse?
A. An old washing machine that was shot 90 times with a 12ga pump shotgun and left in the woods.
B. An old washing machine that was shot 90 times by a Remington 700 and left in the woods.
C. An old washing machine that was shot by an AR15 using 3 30 round mags and left in the woods.

Cogs, yes, it's the human behind the gun. But the human behind the gun is not what the general populace sees. They see a gun that doesn't make sense for most uses that guns in America have been used for. Just like you say people do not see the "Value" of free shooting areas, the common person perceives the assault style rifle (and high capacity mag guns in general) as being the cause of what is seen as wrong about guns in general. So they lump them all together and we all pay for those that abuse the privilege (and yes, it's a privilege, not a right) of being able to shoot. It isn't the person that the public goes after, it's the gun, the high capacity magazines, the bullets, the places to shoot, etc., until it's only criminals that are using them and they could care less about laws or perceptions or values.

You can take 10 people with revolvers or even 10 or 15 round semi-automatic pistols and they won't cause the perceived damage that one person firing a AR type rifle and having multiple high round count magazines does. It may be fun to the person shooting and his friends that are shooting with him, but it is down right scary to the average person that doesn't shoot or rarely shoots.

Actually, I was not thinking about a free dumpster in the woods when I mentioned it above. That would just give one more object to be shot up, tagged and filled with garbage other than from the shooting area. I was thinking of something else but it would probably be considered ridiculous (although hopefully not the most ridiculous seen on here) as well.

Mike

Notazombie... if it was only 90 rounds that were shot it would be one thing... but how many people that have assault rifles stop at 90 rounds? Try 300 or 400 or even 1000 rounds. I've seen people shooting with high capacity magazines shoot and shoot and shoot and then reload their mags and do the same thing again.

It doesn't matter. You guys continue to have fun along with all of those that don't believe in being responsible shooters and the problem will take care of itself in time... at least for most of us.

Mike

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads