JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wolf Creek Rd must be just West of Banks, on the edge of Tillamook State Forest. Is that right?

Captqc, where were you when you saw this trash?
Wolf Creek, we picked up bottles, cans, cardboard, sticks, and general trash, but there was a lot more in the area. Each time we go it looks like we didn't pack anything out!

I sent an email to the Recreational Mngr at Tillamook State Forest. He should get it Monday. I let him know that we would like to conduct a clean up project and asked for their help with trash bags, disposal, accident insurance and forest parking permits. Once they give the green light, we'll schedule the clean up date. Typically, we have had 30-35 people at past clean ups. I like to start with coffee and donuts, and end with a blast of target shooting. It's a lot of fun!

I also inquired about Beaver Dam Pit and Browns Camp Rock Pit as to why they are closed and if we can help get them reopened. We'll see how, and when, they respond.

Meanwhile, I need to pin point the clean up site on a Google Map. Also, if you have any pictures of that trash, please post them.

Thanks,

Bill

Could you send me a map link? I can work on getting a clean up going.
I'm not sure how to do a map link but the full name of the road is "north fork wolf creek road" , there are several clear cuts off this road where people shoot. The area I'm refering to is the first spur road to the right which leads up a hill and there are four or five areas to shoot. Lots of trash in this area.

I sent an email to the Recreational Mngr at Tillamook State Forest. He should get it Monday. I let him know that we would like to conduct a clean up project and asked for their help with trash bags, disposal, accident insurance and forest parking permits. Once they give the green light, we'll schedule the clean up date. Typically, we have had 30-35 people at past clean ups. I like to start with coffee and donuts, and end with a blast of target shooting. It's a lot of fun!

I also inquired about Beaver Dam Pit and Browns Camp Rock Pit as to why they are closed and if we can help get them reopened. We'll see how, and when, they respond.

Meanwhile, I need to pin point the clean up site on a Google Map. Also, if you have any pictures of that trash, please post them.

Thanks,

Bill

Be damned if I can find the map.....This NF Wolf Creek Rd may be in the Clatsop State forest, FYI. Might even be private from what I can tell on Google Earth.

I don't go out in the forest to shoot anymore but might be interested in the clean up. the last one looked fun, and if there were some sort of media coverage of some kind to help put shooters in a better light that would be great.

Mike

I'm not sure how to do a map link but the full name of the road is "north fork wolf creek road" , there are several clear cuts off this road where people shoot. The area I'm refering to is the first spur road to the right which leads up a hill and there are four or five areas to shoot. Lots of trash in this area.

Is this it? view from the turn off on hwy 26

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.780...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sLdKnlXeuq4Cphri9y9WmtQ!2e0

Map link
https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...2!3m1!1s0x5494ee67ca06582f:0xe5bf8f751765b636

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, I just got off the phone with the guy you emailed
Randy Peterson Recreation Unit Forester (503) 359-7470

He says the N Fork Wolf Creek area would be a great place for us to clean up. It is a mix of public and private land and so if one of us can go out to his office in Forest Grove he would give us the map locations of the public areas that we could clean up

He thinks he might be able to coordinate the inmate clean up crew so that after we are done, we could leave the trash nearby in bags and they would come clean it up. The inmates are not allowed to clean up shooting sites in case they find something dangerous. But if it is in bags on the side of the road then it should be fine.

He said the area is all gravel roads, no snow or ice at this time, and should be accessible with regular cars.

I'll hand this back to you about who should go get the maps of the public area and coordination of a time and what to do with the trash.

Okay, who's Eric? Thanks, dude! Good show! We got the help and encouragement we need, now let's put something together.

Here's a copy of the email that Randy Peterson sent back today. Only part I'm not thrilled with is the insurance part. I'll check with @Joe Link to see how he feels about us doing a group thing without accident insurance (unless I'm reading that wrong). Great to get positive feedback from forest officials about our efforts to do some good and raise awareness for better conduct!

Oh, the second to the last paragraph is about what's going on with Beaver Dam Pit and Browns Camp Rock Pit. (You'll notice I edited our last names).

Hello Mr. _____,

Thank you for your offer. We would be happy to work with you and your group to help facilitate clean-up of target shooting areas on the Tillamook State Forest and, if possible, to set opportunities for your group to help us raise more awareness of recreational target shooting rules and ethics on public lands.

Earlier this morning a person named Eric ______ from your group called me. We talked briefly about your groups offer and I told him would be happy to work with you. I also told him that I had received an e-mail from you but hadn't responded to you yet. I suggested to Eric that to get started it would be helpful to set up an in person meeting at your groups convenience (time and location) to discuss clean-up efforts, locations, timing, safety, how we can assist, and your ideas for raising awareness about responsible recreational target shooting. He was open to that idea and was going to check back in with the group and was planning to post up the information from our discussion.

For the clean-up efforts we can provide trash bags to assist with the clean-up effort and can provide disposal site locations. We might be able to provide some disposable gloves but would suggest people bring heavier duty gloves. We do require that all volunteers complete a one page Conditions of Volunteer Service form when doing work on the forest. I have attached the form for your review. The agency does not provide workers' compensation or medical insurance coverage of any kind for injury or illness incurred when volunteering. We do protect volunteers from civil liability for injuries or damage to the person or property of others, subject to conditions. Once you have reviewed for let me know if you have any questions.

We would be happy to work with you to facilitate multiple clean-ups over the course of the year and to set up a partnership with your group to provide onsite information to target shooters as a way to raise awareness about responsible recreational target shooting.

The Beaver Dam Road/Browns Camp Rock Pit is currently closed for safety reasons. We have timber harvest activity taking place adjacent to the rock pit and for the safety of the logging crew we have closed the rock pit to shooting. We don't have set completion date. It could re-open in February. Other timber harvest activity closures are expected to occur through the winter and spring as they continue harvest around the rock pit area. We do update the status of the rock pit on our website. http://www.oregon.gov/ODF/tillamookstateforest/pages/index.aspx The Beaver Dam/Browns Camp Rock Pit is one of the busier places on the forest for target shooting. I think it would be a good place to pay some special attention to.

I would be happy to meet with you or someone from your group to get the process started. My office is in Forest Grove (801 Gales Creek Road, Forest Grove Oregon 97116). I could host a meeting here or travel to another location. Let me know how you would like to proceed.

Thank you for your offer. We look forward to working with you and your group.

Randy Peterson

Recreation Program Manager

Oregon Department of Forestry

Forest Grove District

Tillamook State Forest

Yup, that's the spot. If I'm in town when the clean up happens I'll be there. Gary

Now, if we can nail down the exact shooting place where we can meet and set up base camp, we'll get it confirmed with Tillamook and be able to announce the meeting spot on clean up day.

Can you Flag the spot on the map?

Thanks!

Oh crap my cover is blown, time to disappear!

As I mentioned, if someone wanted to meet with him he has a map of the public areas near north fork wolf creek road. I could go out and get the maps on a Friday unless you have other plans

Yeah, Eric, might be best if you did. (I mean "bolus"!) It could be weeks before I could get out there. Once I get a map link of the actual site to clean up, I'll send it to him so he can verify where it is.

Thanks!

Bill

Now, if we can nail down the exact shooting place where we can meet and set up base camp, we'll get it confirmed with Tillamook and be able to announce the meeting spot on clean up day.

Can you Flag the spot on the map?

Thanks!
There's not a ton of parking on this site but if you look at the satellite view you will see a log deck right were the road goes from east to north. That has the most parking. Gary

You mean this place? Where the yellow push pin is?
upload_2015-1-27_18-0-43.png

As I mentioned, if someone wanted to meet with him he has a map of the public areas near north fork wolf creek road. I could go out and get the maps on a Friday unless you have other plans

Okay, bolus, I sent him an email with a snap shot of the Wolf Creek Rd area and asked if this is under his management. I also mentioned that you may be stopping by this Friday to pick up the map(s) he mentioned. He's got my phone number and I've got his, so we can at least talk by phone. (I work and a real job M-F, 8-5, so it's tough for me to have week day meetings.

I sent you a private conversation message with my phone number, if you need to call. Anytime is okay.

Bill

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top