JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I took two buds out to Wolf creek rd. 35 off of hwy 26 today, We were target shooting and testing a couple of new guns. I was appalled at the mess that has been left behind by the irresponsible shooters that cant seem to pickup their own garbage. They act like teenagers still living at home. I have a news flash for them. Mamma aint out there picking up your garbage. We picked up our leftovers including brass and shotgun hulls. Then we picked up three boxes full of shotgun hulls, and trash others had left behind. Its getting worse and I'm afraid we may all lose our outdoor places to shoot.
I would like to organize a cleanup crew to take a pickup or trailer and clean up this site in the near future. If we don't clean up for those that cant see to find the trash bin. We are going to find a gate on the road one day soon. The other roads in the same area are having the same problem. This is a wonder place to shoot and its getting ruined with trash. Anyone in the west Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, or west side willing to help?? Maybe we can organize a cleanup day, and pick an area to clean up. ? Any help, Any ideas? any comments?

A friend of mine and I were out there last month and we picked up all kinds of trash. I've gotten to the point where I take a garbage bag out each trip. It ain't a dump people!!!!!!!

Did the same thing out near Browns camp last week. Not sure why people think it's ok to leave a couple hundred hulls lying around when they leave. Can't do it at the trap club, why is it ok on public lands?

I just don't understand how gun owners ( responsible citizens ) are the ones doing this. I'm pretty new to guns but I always pick up after myself after shooting. I was taught that way, and with so many new shooters today that probably weren't taught to respect.
It's a great idea, if you get something together and I'm free I'd go help.

It isn't just shooting areas.

I see trash along the road everywhere, but especially out in the rural areas. As soon as I get outside of the growth boundary, I see mattresses, couches, other furniture and large amounts of trash just dumped in the ditch or otherwise alongside the road.

Eventually it gets picked up, but a lot of people are slobs, lazy and they would rather dump stuff in the countryside than pay to dump it at a landfill. It is one of the downsides of living out here that some people in the city think rural areas are their trash can.

I agree with all of you, And unfortunately I don't think we are going to change the habits of a slob, or irresponsible individual. But I'm just afraid if we don't make the effort to clean up after them, we will lose our favorite shooting spots out in the woods. I'm also a member at Tri-county gun club, so I have a place to go. But I love to go out in the woods.

I just don't understand how gun owners ( responsible citizens )
Owning a gun is not an indication of implied responsibility - one is either responsible or not regardless of the activity they choose. I find it interesting though it seems most of the complaints of heavy garbage seem to be closer to the city areas than say out where I live. We are not trash free but typically do not experience anything to the levels I read about. I'll occasionally run into the piles of shotgun hulls or shot up beer cans but not too many large deposits of furniture, appliances etc. On my routine woods runs I occasionally pass by some small piles of stuff that has been lying for years but not really seeing an increase.

I'd be up to do a day trip on the west side to help clean up. It would just need to be a place that does not require a 4x4 to get there.

Is there a place to dump the garbage after it is cleaned up? I wont be able to bring much back if it has to fit in my container.

Its usually new shooters..
They want to see the penetrative abilities of their new "boom stick" hauling out everything from TVs, scrap metal, glass to wood.

They shoot it and leave it.
Unless we start policing these places ourselves this will continue to happen.

I hate it. I feel if you shoot at any trash there regardless of if you brought it or not, it is now your trash since you used it as a target.

Ive cleaned my area more times than I care to count.. I just cant keep up..
On weekends Id be more than happy to be with a group of guys that spreads the word and perhaps gets those "new shooters" to start thinking about something more than themselves.. Perhaps the community as a whole that and in a group the idea of mentioning that all violators may be reported for dumping trash it may have some resonance with these litterbugs.

Went out to Salmonberry today.
(Though Im pretty sick)
Bottles, wood, glass.. All things that would take previous shooters 5 mins to pick up.

I did what I could with my single plastic bag. My reward was free brass all over the place.

Good conversations from all. I think we maybe could pick a weekend some time in march maybe. And get a bunch of people to attack an individual area. The area I'm referring to is an easy 2 wheel drive area.
As far as dumping the trash we pick up. I would plan to take my utility trailer, which we can fill more than once, then I stop at the trash recycling center. It will cost me about $50 to dump it but someone has to do it. Unless someone has a solution this is the only option I have.

I am interested to join the cleanup. I am willing to chip in on the dump fee. We have do something and educate more people about this, or these places may be closed.

Terrific, if we can get a handful of people willing to do this then we can at least make a small dent, and hopefully preserve our shooting privileges in these outdoor areas. I'm going to look at the calendar and pick a couple of dates. Then we can organize a cleanup day or two and have at it. :D

the more mess shooters leave, the faster environmentalists fight to ban shooting on national forest/public lands. leave it cleaner than u got there. especially if u are an avid reloader :)

... I would like to organize a cleanup crew to take a pickup or trailer and clean up this site in the near future. If we don't clean up for those that cant see to find the trash bin. We are going to find a gate on the road one day soon. The other roads in the same area are having the same problem. This is a wonder place to shoot and its getting ruined with trash. Anyone in the west Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, or west side willing to help?? Maybe we can organize a cleanup day, and pick an area to clean up. ? Any help, Any ideas? any comments?

Here we go, folks. Let's get this done. What's a good date, Tigard? Let's go at least 3 weeks out so we can arrange with Forest Service, trash disposal, a Volunteer sign up thread and all that.

Glance over some previous clean ups in the Volunteer section to give you an idea of how we'll post and organize this clean up. We've usually had 30 to 35 people at each one.

Our mission is to increase our efforts and make a significant difference in 2015. We learned a lot last year, so, now we can step it up.

Thanks for voicing your concern and your willingness to help!

SHOW TIME!

Bill

Was back out shooting today and we hauled out a bunch of trash again. We could have collected 50 bags of trash in the area. Lots of cardboard, plywood, cans, bottles, shotgun hulls, etc. :eek:

I took two buds out to Wolf creek rd. 35 off of hwy 26 today,...

Wolf Creek Rd must be just West of Banks, on the edge of Tillamook State Forest. Is that right?

Was back out shooting today and we hauled out a bunch of trash again. We could have collected 50 bags of trash in the area. Lots of cardboard, plywood, cans, bottles, shotgun hulls, etc. :eek:

Captqc, where were you when you saw this trash?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top