JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Randy Neuman recorded a song, I think the title is "Let's drop the big one". In the lyrics we bomb the whole world except for Australia. Not a bad idea!
Had I been a pilot in WWII, I would have been proud to fly the bomber. When you start a fight, the winner gets to say when it's over. I agree with Stomper "The Japanese should have surrendered sooner"

I saw a news bulletin where a British commando was give a life sentence for shooting and killing a wounded afghan soldier. What bullbubblegum! Isn't killing the enemy the reason to go into battle? He should get a pardon.

"Propaganda"? Give me a break. I swear, the only reason for someone to call it propaganda would be to give it some "hype". Undeserved, of course.

More intelligent / informative discussion could be found from these 5 pages of responses to the original post than from the movie itself. That being said, the movie didn't quite rate in there at "good" for me, considering I turned off Netflix with the feeling I just wasted 2 hours of what could have otherwise been productive time.

My problem with the movie is that it's the same tried and true hollywood "blueprint" that works for the majority. This was one of those films that I found myself thinking more than once, "I've seen this before". Like many films that fall into that tried and true method, the plot of Fury could have been spliced almost in it's entirety from other films. Sure there were things that were well done, but many more that could have been done more effectively and in order to make it to my "it was a good movie" category. As is, this "blueprint" gets filed in the mindless entertainment drawer. Don't worry, it wont get lonely in there.

The Japs didn't bomb Russian soil!!! Wonder if this is satire or pure stupidity....

Ummmm---yes they did. Quite possible the only reason the Russians rolled the Germans back
at Stalingrad and the Kursk bulge tank battle was that Stalin withdrew a pile of troops he had
in Manchuria to defend against the Japanese, and threw them against the Germans.

http://thediplomat.com/2012/08/the-forgotten-soviet-japanese-war-of-1939/

We here in the US tend to believe that WWII started in December of 1941. It had been going
on long before that. The Japanese and Chinese were at each other in 1937, and Hitler kicked
it off in Europe in 1939.

The Japs didn't bomb Russian soil!!! Wonder if this is satire or pure stupidity....

Ummmm---yes they did. Quite possible the only reason the Russians rolled the Germans back at Stalingrad and the Kursk bulge tank battle was that Stalin withdrew a pile of troops he had in Manchuria to defend against the Japanese, and threw them against the Germans.

http://thediplomat.com/2012/08/the-forgotten-soviet-japanese-war-of-1939/
<snip>
You must have missed the words "Russian soil" the quoted post Bill.
Unless you're under the impression that Manchuria is/was part of Russia, or in this case The Soviet Union.

You must have missed the words "Russian soil" the quoted post Bill.
Unless you're under the impression that Manchuria is/was part of Russia, or in this case The Soviet Union.
No--I'm quite aware of where Manchuria is. There was a war there in the late 30's, between Russia
and Japan. check this map: http://maps.omniatlas.com/russia/19400306/

The Japanese invaded China, ran over Korea, and were pushing toward Russia through Manchuria.
They had an airforce. With bombers. Hit this link---http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_Khalkhin_Gol
and scroll down to "Aircraft Ordnance Expenditures". The Japanese dropped 970 tons of bombs--
on Russians. I suppose you could make an argument that the bombings weren't on actual Russian soil--
but it's at least as Russian as the Territory of Hawaii soil was actual US soil in 1941.

I thought that the movie was not too bad, in spite of the ridiculous and untruthfully depicted 'skill-set' of the opposing German forces. My late Uncle Micky, who served in the Wehrmacht from 1938 to 1945, was 'only' a signaller, but had the second and first class EK, three close-quarter combat awards and fifteen wound stripes. He was not the kind of klutz depicted in the movie, that's for sure.

Good to see that although for many, the appearance of Mr Pitt was the high point, for me it was Tiger 131 - the only surviving Tiger 1 on the whole planet that actually runs under its own power.

'Fury' rates 7/10 for me.

tac

I wasn't going to watch this movie mostly because I felt it would just turn out to be more anti-west hate propaganda. Unfortunately, it seems that I was right.

Maybe it's just me, and maybe it's just because I was looking for it, but I found the film to be riddled with insinuation and innuendo suborning the notion that US forces raped and murdered German civilians and POW's as a matter of course with as much moral conflict as one would have buttering toast. I view this as a shameless attempt to paint GIs in the same light as the Russian soldiers who did indeed rape, pillage, and murder their way to Berlin. I would venture to suggest this revisionism to be the "educational" part of the movie. Look for it to be shown at your children's school in "history" class in the near future, if not already.

The ending was stupid. An encounter with space aliens would have made more sense.

The assignment of a newly minted clerk typist to duty as the a-driver of an armored vehicle is the most believable character elements in the entire movie - because that kind of silly crap actually happens in the military.

The combat sequences are fantastic - especially the armored engagement which should have been the end of the movie. All aspects of modern film making came together in a manner which can only be described as synergy to produce some of the most visually stunning combat footage ever created. Awesome.

Bottom line: This is a 90 minute anti-west hate film. Snip out the BS propaganda and the banal ending and you'll have a pretty damn good 30 minute war movie.

PS: This part is not meant to solicit a response, just food for thought...

I read in previous posts how the Germans should have surrendered sooner - presumably because they are the Evil Bad Guys and should have known better.

So... when Chinese tanks are rumbling through the streets of Seattle, Spokane, Portland, LA, San Francisco, et. al., will you surrender? You are, after all, the Evil Bad Guy - you are responsible for slavery; you stole this land from it's rightful owners, those of whom who survived the genocidal introduction of small pox, murderous cavalry incursions, and trans-continental death marches, had their heritage ripped from them, both cultural and genetic, people of Asian descent whom the Chinese are here to liberate from the cruelty of institutional intolerance; you are hate filled, racist, war mongering, capitalists, holding the world in economic servitude regardless of how many children of color die of starvation in their mothers arms; and in your sociopathic greed you willfully participate in the destruction of the planet with your untaxed carbon emissions at the direct expense of future generations you obviously care nothing about. None of you are blameless.

Will you, shouldn't you, realize who and what you are and surrender early on to make the world safe for democracy?

Or will you fight to the bitter end for your people and way of life.

Ex Gladio Libertas

"our leaders of the time knew they were targeting residential areas with the atom bombs."

Both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were military targets.

Hiroshima contained the headquarters of the Fifth Division and Field Marshal Shunroku Hata's 2nd General Army Headquarters, which commanded the defense of all of southern Japan. The city was a communications center, a storage point, and an assembly area for troops and a transportation hub blocking the south of Honshu which would have been the staging area for the counterattack on our invasion forces dedicated to Kyushu.

The city of Nagasaki was an important seaport of great wartime importance because of its wide-ranging industrial activity, including the production of ordnance, ships, military equipment, and other war materials including large plants of the Mitsubishi Steel and Arms works. The Type 21 torpedoes that the Japanese used at Pearl Harbor were built in Nagasaki at Mitsubishi.

The weapons clearly killed many civilians, but the targets were not "civilian targets" they were military targets directly in line with our planned invasion of Kyushu in Operation Olympic scheduled for November 1945.

Those bombs may well have saved my father's life. So I am plenty OK with them.

well saying the outcome would have been the same if the US had not joined is partly true but it would have certainly been a longer and bloodier war. not to mention we would not have risen to be such an influential and privileged nation. we also could not sit out when we had blood spilled on our soil. i do have a disdain for the use of nuclear weapons though. no historian can honestly tell you the Japanese emperor surrendered because of the nuclear bombs. they were simply out of resources and nearly out of young men. i feel for the crew of those 2 planes for feeling obligated to do such a thing though.

Here is a direct quote from the Emperor's surrender speech broadcast on all Japanese radios to all civilian and military forces.

"The enemy has begun to employ a new and most cruel bomb, the power of which to do damage is, indeed, incalculable, taking the toll of many innocent lives. Should we continue to fight, not only would it result in an ultimate collapse and obliteration of the Japanese nation, but also it would lead to the total extinction of human civilization."

So you want to tell me how it didn't have an effect?

The Japanese lost the war in mid to late 1944. They had no chance of success. There were no more materials with which to build, not enough of an increment to replace lost soldiers, They were losing leadership, transportation and territory. If they were going to surrender, they could have done so on September 2, 1944. Or January 1st 1945. Or July 30th 1945. Or August 6th 1945. Or August 9th 1945. The reason they did not surrender before the bomb is because they were training little girls how to kill American soldiers with bamboo sticks.

https://weaponsandwarfare.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/japanese-home-defense-training_1945.jpg

They were not going to surrender until it became clear, as it did to the Emperor, that resistance would cost millions of lives, most of them Japanese. US estimates for casualties in an invasion were 400-800,000 dead and 4,000,000 to 8,000,000 dead in the invasion of Kyushyu alone. (Secretary of War Stimson's estimate to Truman)

Remember that we had just invaded Iwo Jima where of the 21,000 Japanese soldiers at the beginning of the battle, only 216 were taken prisoner. At Tinnian, there were 8039 soldiers on the island and 254 surrendered. Of the civilian population, 20-25% committed suicide. At Saipan, there were 32,000 soldiers when we arrived and 921 surrendered. At the end of June, Hirohito sent out an imperial order encouraging the civilians of Saipan to commit suicide. As described by Bergamini, the order authorized the commander of Saipan to promise civilians who died there an equal spiritual status in the afterlife with those of soldiers perishing in combat. Over 1000 civilians followed his order and threw their children off the cliffs and followed after them.

If you were in charge in 1945 and you looked forward to sending a million or two boys off to invade Japan when you could expect the Japanese to effectively die to the last man and then have a quarter of the population follow in suicide, then killing half a million people looks like peanuts in comparison.

Japan could have ended the war at any time. They put their people in danger and then the EMPEROR, not the general staff, but the EMPEROR, that wizened old man that everyone loves to describe as a hostage to the military, ordered the civilians to commit suicide.

Frankly, you can take your revisionism and shove it. The bombs were the catalyst that ended the war and no one can second guess the people that made that decision. They saved American AND Japanese lives and you should thank them for it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top