JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
per The Most (And Least) Gun-Friendly States – The Burning Platform
1586748918145.png

I skimmed the article and criteria. I wondered how they weighted the criteria. It would seem gun-friendly laws should have a substantial weighting over say gun-related jobs.

For example, is Nevada actually worse than California? That surprised me, but my assumptions simply may be wrong.

yeah this map seems kind of skewed. Oregon and Washington are similar enough seeing a huge disparity was surprising. Yeah, their new BS with training requirements makes them worse, but really that much worse?

I lol'd at Idaho and Arizona being tied at #1 and skipping directly to Texas with #3, which gun-law wise I don't think would be that far at the top of the pack, as they still don't allow unrestricted open carry (you must have a CHL, like you would in urban Oregon) and they require a hands on training and qual course to get a CHL there. Still top 10 probably, but #3?

yeah this map seems kind of skewed. Oregon and Washington are similar enough seeing a huge disparity was surprising. Yeah, their new BS with training requirements makes them worse, but really that much worse?...

WA now has a mandatory wait though on particular long guns, don't they?

Whereas Oregon does not. (Shhhh...not yet anywho...)

Article has very litle to do with gun friendlyness, which I would consider to mean how few laws are written to curb firearm ownership by The People. Not about how many firearms jobs it has or guns per capita (which can t really be counted unless you've registered them and that will historically ultimately lead to confiscation through direct force or make ownership illegal and it's owners through inaction, criminals))

Income from firearms mfg. jobs? I can buy a lot of house in TX for the same anoint of $ that in Oregon keeps me homeless. Then again the min-wage in TX is half what it is in OR so the income criteria is absurd when claiming gun friendlyness, IMO as $25/hr in Biloxi, MS is different than $25/hr in SanJose, CA. Income is relevant....and thus irrelevant as to "friendliness "

The only law that should be written in the country is the 2A. Everything else should be reaffirming that law or its infringing. That said a gun friendly state rank should be based solely on laws restricting the People's ability to acquire and retain firearms. Fewer laws equals more freedom or "friendliness " IMO.

This map has got to be a joke right? Tennessee is #25, below Oregon ? We can do private gun sales here in parking lots and Oregon is becoming a total police state voting away more and more gun rights each election. As well, California is more gun friendly than West Virginia or Nebraska!!? In what alternate reality or world are we talking? Gun friendly as in more gun laws?

This list is complete BS, I am so sorry.. Texas gun laws are no better than Tennessee, and, in fact, a bit stricter. They only just legalized open carry in Texas recently. Florida has no open carry and somehow that is the #12 most gun friendly?

Ohio has much better gun laws than many of these states , and in fact, some of the more lenient gun laws and it ranks below California, Connecticut and Massachusetts?!!! :rolleyes:

There are plenty of gun manufacturing jobs in Communist blue states which have draconian gun laws. I think that skews their list. If they want to make a list of gun friendly states, the criteria should be how easy it is for a Citizen to procure a firearm. Survey done.

I skimmed the article and criteria. I wondered how they weighted the criteria. It would seem gun-friendly laws should have a substantial weighting over say gun-related jobs.

For example, is Nevada actually worse than California? That surprised me, but my assumptions simply may be wrong.

Having gun industry present doesn't necessarily equate to being friendly to guns - I don't know why they included that. I would think that factor should be weighted very low, if at all - it depends more on history, tax breaks and availability of skilled workers than on politics and laws. After all, most gun laws have exceptions for gun industry in them - e.g., if you manufacture NFA items, most gun laws have an exception for your manufacturing.

I think the Guns & Ammo magazine Most & Least Gun Friendly States is a much more REALISTIC assessment of Gun Friendly and Unfriendly States. Please disregard any list that considers California friendlier than 25 other states.. On this list California ranks #47 on friendliness, and New York ranks #51 .. I guess Washington DC was added to the list and is even better than New York .

TOP 5 GUN FRIENDLY STATES
5. Oklahoma
Oklahoma got a new governor in 2018 and he was quick to enact a Permitless Carry bill early this year. Under the new law, Concealed Carry is legal without a permit so long as the individual is not a prohibited possessor. The law goes further than most by allowing members of the military who are over 18 to carry without a permit. Oklahoma does not place restrictions on Black Rifles, magazines or any NFA items earning it full points in those categories. (2018 rank: 6)

4. Kansas
Once again, a bill that would have expanded Kansas' recognition of out of state CCW permits didn't make it through the legislature this year, though the bill will carry over to 2020. Kansas gets full points in the CCW column with both Permitless Carry and a Shall Issue permit system in place. It also receives ten points in the Castle Doctrine, Black Rifle and NFA categories. It loses a bit of ground in the Miscellaneous column, as it is tough to compete with the states ahead of it in terms of gun culture. (2018 rank: 4)

3. Alaska
Nothing much happened in 2019 in Alaska, but that is likely because the state's gun laws are about as strong as it gets. Alaska has the highest rate of gun ownership in the nation, and was the first state to allow for both Permitless and Permitted Carry. Alaska can't compete with other states in terms of formal competitive shooting opportunities, but that is simply a matter of geography and population. From a pure statutory standpoint, Alaska is among the best states in the nation for gun owners. (2018 rank: 3)

2. Idaho
This spring, Idaho's governor signed legislation extending Permitless Carry rights to 18- to 20-year-old residents. Idaho receives 9.5 points in the CCW column since both residents and active duty military members can carry without a permit. Idaho also receives full points in the NFA, Black Rifle and Miscellaneous categories. Idaho's beauty has been discovered and the state's population is growing fast — here's hoping that the state can maintain its pro-gun culture despite that growth. (2018 rank: 2)

1. Arizona
No gun bills, either good or bad, passed this year, allowing Arizona to maintain the top spot in our survey. Arizona receives 10 points across the board thanks to its Permitless- and Permitted-Carry laws, a strong preemption statute, excellent Use of Force laws, and a lack of restrictions on individual firearms and accessories. Places to shoot, both recreationally and competitively, are many and the state has a strong firearm industry presence. Gunsite, the mecca of defensive shooting, is just outside of Prescott. (2018 rank: 1)

Oh, BTW, the man who is mocking Trump for calling himself a "KING", Andrew Cuomo, thinks of himself as a king too.. He wanted to label the NRA as a terrorist group and ban all NRA activity in his state. I think Cuomo is as close to a Authoritarian tyrant of any Governor in the USA.. Makes sense why the media adores him. And, having the highest death rate in the USA from Coronavirus hardly makes him a hero in my book; from an impartial governance standpoint. Cuomo was also responsible for banning all magazines over 7 rounds and had to eventually rescind his draconian and unconstitutional measures because it pretty much eliminated a good number of semi automatic firearms that couldn't operate on less than the standard 10 round magazine. Even Canada allows for 10 round semi-auto handguns. Of course, that was his initial intention. I remember many gun manufacturers said they would stop shipping firearms and accessories to New York Law enforcement because of his ban and he was forced to rescind the order as it started heating up and looking like it could turn into a Supreme Court case.

Last Edited:

I was thinking -- how is Alaska worse than CA?

Interesting both articles ranked Arizona as number one. :)

And I too am skeptical of the first. Alaska, Nevada, Washington, and New Mexico are all worse than California? I don't think so. The inclusion of firearm-related jobs probably skewed the results.

Interesting both articles ranked Arizona as number one. :)

And I too am skeptical of the first. Alaska, Nevada, Washington, and New Mexico are all worse than California? I don't think so. The inclusion of firearm-related jobs probably skewed the results.

And Oklahoma, it's the only state I know of that allows constitution carry to out of state residences from Constitution states and that was before become Constitution carry themselves.

This map is far from being right, I hail from Oklahoma and sooner state should be in the top 5 states without any hard effort put into the consideration. Everything is allowed in Oklahoma , admittedly we only obtained constitutional carry about a year and a half ago but none the less they have it.

I will be moving back to Oklahoma when I can't tolerate Oregon and the the continual attack on liberty that seems to be happening in the PNW

This map is far from being right, I hail from Oklahoma and sooner state should be in the top 5 states without any hard effort put into the consideration. Everything is allowed in Oklahoma , admittedly we only obtained constitutional carry about a year and a half ago but none the less they have it.

I will be moving back to Oklahoma when I can't tolerate Oregon and the the continual attack on liberty that seems to be happening in the PNW

I spent a year in McCurtain County, way more gun friendly than the left coast.

I spent a year in McCurtain County, way more gun friendly than the left coast.

That is down by my old stomping grounds, and yes when you're in Green Country you can do pretty much what you want with little to worry about. A man can be as free as he wants to be in deep SE Oklahoma, however most people from the west coast would not care for the wages . Having said that making 50k in Oklahoma is about like making 100k in a lot of other states .

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top