JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Take the friend. You remain armed so you can shoot his knee cap if a bear comes.

Somebody has to make it out of the woods alive. I saw that move Backcountry.

I used to camp alone a lot. Two weeks at a shot when I was between wives/girlfriends. Great way to get the head in order, do some reading and some good shooting. Perfected my .22 LR mid air starling dispatching that way.

I think you should absolutely take him along. You are talking about getting the most out of your training, and think you should go solo. I believe that is not the way to think.
Do you think a SHTF means you will peace out and never meet someone who needs help? If you do meet someone, will you ignore them, prey on them, or help them?
Take your friend. He will learn self-reliance from you and you will learn how to augment your survival effectiveness by teaching others what you know, eventually being able to work as a team. The efficacy of a group working together can be more than the sum of their capabilities.

Go easy, 3 miles in, have him navigate. Go gear heavy so hes comfortable leave the Rambo game out of it till hes comfortable in the woods. If you throw everything at him all at once he will retain nothing and never go again. Training goes from the simple to the complex over time with experience.

OP what "training" are you going to do? And where did you learn these "training" techniques? Some type of service? A book? Call of Duty?

Sorry but this thread reads like a bad movie.

Taking a tenderfoot camping in the middle of winter and expecting him to tag along while you play G.I. Joe, along with the threat to ditch him if he "slows you down" sounds like a recipe for disaster and a great way to end a friendship.

^^^

This!

Especially if the friend hates the COLD and adding wet weather to the cold only makes it worse. Snow, rain, ice and/or wind.

Cate

Not sure if I'd be better off training alone so that 1) I get more used to being alone out there since that's how I'll likely be in SHTF 2) am not slowed down by him.

Speaking only for myself here...and please note that I am not attacking the OP....

One should teach others , if they wish to learn and not worry about being "slowed" down by them.
If one teaches well , two learn.

Everyone needs to start somewhere....You yourself , at one time did not know and do the things you post about in your OP...Remember what that was like and have patience with your friend.

As for being alone in a SHTF situation....To be blunt :
You gotta sleep sometime....and its difficult to be all tactical when :
Eating...
Making camp...
Washing /cleaning /packing up..
Taking a dump...
Someone needs to provide security at such times.
Andy

"He recently lost his job and is going through an UGLY divorce....hmmmmmmmm...."

Well, just think of Chris Kyle. :p
Maybe you don't want to turn your back.
I have no idea what motivated the dude to do that - no overt signs that he was koo-koo.

Lol, I used to camp at Browns Camp until I met a few folks like the OP roaming around at night all geared up wearing NODs @ 2am "patrolling" peaceful camping areas.

Tactical Tom it up my friend!

No offense, sounds like solo is the best way to go, unless you find another similar minded person.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top