JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I regularly violate that as well. :(

When I was 24 I was out with LBE, an AK and 10 magazines, butt pack, etc on what I later found out was an Experts Hike in rough terrain. There was only a trail for the first mile, it was 12 miles round trip from near sea level to about 7-8K elevation. They called it a scramble I found out later. SO here I was, 1 AM, thinking it was a 3 mile hike (the info I got was wrong, even today the info from forest service is wrong, they say 8 miles others say their GPS said 12).

Used my training. Looked around with my flash light, I had lost the trail. I didn't register at the trail head. I sit down and size up my situation. If I keep going, I could get injured and more lost. If I head back, same deal. Decide to roll up in my mylar blanket and evaluate in better lighting conditions in the morning. It kept me alive. First light I wake up cold from the top and bottom of the mylar roll where air is getting in. I look ahead and see a little bit of a trail. Ditched the LBE and AK in the woods, took my hydration bladder and pistol with 2 spare mags in thigh rig setup (terrible, floppy and loose throughout hike but it worked) and keep going. I ate those chalk like coast guard rations. Made me thirsty. Drank water, made me feel sick lol. It was what I had in my butt pack.

Long story short, I made it to the top (there is snow up there even in summer) and back down. Legs were sore for 2 weeks like never before. I could barely walk. It was a great, confidence building experience and now I know I can do it. I plan on doing it again now in my late thirties but with more skills, better gear and better knowledge. And yes I picked up the gear on the way down. I knew where I left it.

Some tactical mistakes made:

-Leaving kit behind. My entire survival kit was in the LBE....
-Armed only with a handgun at that point...
-Bring better food like nuts, jerky, etc.
-There are better setups than thigh holsters.

Now it's chest rig, assault pack and much lighter equipment....with NV goggles and infra red lasers. This trail requires climbing over huge boulders, it's a good obstacle course as well.:D

Have you ever met Gecko45?

OP should probably re-enlist, or if just a tactical Tom, enlist.

I far prefer camping with someone else.

Dial back the tactical aspect a notch, and take your friend, and go and have fun. Ultimately, when we think about "survival" humans survive best in a group or with others. So forming those bonds are really the best thing for long-term survival, more so than honing your "patrolling" skills. Also, there's the aspect of getting hurt in the woods and dying alone. Not a very good survival technique. So many "I nearly died" stories, and stories of people that did die, occur because they were alone. Being alone is probably far more dangerous than any real or phantom encounters. But even a real encounter with a hostile person or animal can be resolved better with the presence of another person, witness, someone to go for help, etc. Or embrace the elements.

Also, I've taught topics (sports, law, self defense, guns, etc.) and teaching makes me better at the skill too. That's my experience, teaching makes me better.

I would suggest to the OP...that ...
If he were to "Patrol"....to do this far away from others and their campsites , vehicles , etc...

Speaking only for myself and not as a threat....just as a thing to think about...

If I were to spot someone "patrolling" around my campsite....
It could very well provoke a tactical* response from me.
*Tactical as in ...doing what I could to assess the situation and provide for my defense if need be...
Not simply shooting on first contact....

I can say , having some actual combat experiences in such matters....it ain't fun , for anyone.
Andy

I would suggest to the OP...that ...
If he were to "Patrol"....to do this far away from others and their campsites , vehicles , etc...

Speaking only for myself and not as a threat....just as a thing to think about...

If I were to spot someone "patrolling" around my campsite....
It could very well provoke a tactical* response from me.
*Tactical as in ...doing what I could to assess the situation and provide for my defense if need be...
Not simply shooting on first contact....

I can say , having some actual combat experiences in such matters....it ain't fun , for anyone.
Andy
Pretty much. I think the guys up at Browns Camp like to try and see how close they can get to someone just trying to enjoy nature and sleep. Which may produce a response, which I'm truly in belief these types are actually looking for. Which I'm my opinion is just plain old stupid.

OP wants to "patrol". Join the armed forces. Or a police department. Volunteer in downtown Portland. Use your resources to something that aids society.

Otherwise your just a tactical Tom, pissing people off in the woods trying to camp.

I know these types say they are "preppers" and whatnot. I almost get an uneasy sensation they are the type that would likely turn to unsavory acts of something actually did happen and society fell apart.

Pretty much. I think the guys up at Browns Camp like to try and see how close they can get to someone just trying to enjoy nature and sleep. Which may produce a response, which I'm truly in belief these types are actually looking for. Which I'm my opinion is just plain old stupid.

OP wants to "patrol". Join the armed forces. Or a police department. Volunteer in downtown Portland. Use your resources to something that aids society.

Otherwise your just a tactical Tom, pissing people off in the woods trying to camp.

I know these types say they are "preppers" and whatnot. I almost get an uneasy sensation they are the type that would likely turn to unsavory acts of something actually did happen and society fell apart.

I think the types you speak of are living in a fantasy world and are likely to become mass murderers. Or at least professional video game players. Either way, "patrolling" around camp sites and other recreational areas is fantasy BS done by wannabes who need to get a life.

Training? Go solo or find someone who's likeminded; and is trustworthy. Maybe easier to sign up for a defensive carbine class and find people like that ;)

Camping? Bring a buddy and keep things simple; a handgun on a belt rig, maybe keep carbine locked in the base vehicle or dont bring it along... maybe have some shotguns so you two can hit clays for fun.. .22lr rifles and handguns for fun as well, but again, keep them locked up at night and whenever one is by oneself... less likely for suicide risks ;) (although when theres a will, theres a way.... )

Speaking as someone who has brought military gear on group camp trips; its not often that I get positive responses.....

So these days its just my trusty handgun on my belt in a flap holster, and any one of my backpacks.... normalish, appropriate clothing and sleeping stuff. Yes it can be fun to "patrol" and practice some stuff, its better with people of the same mindset, and to do so within reason. :rolleyes:

Want something to tell stories about, or become subject of stories? Go buck naked except for LBE and ruck on the PCT routes :s0108::s0001:
Who is gonna mess with a naked dude with LBE and gun? :p

If your camping buddy says you're both going out to the woods to do some penetration testing or he wants to drill you in the dark to see if you can handle it, just say no.

I guess I've been camping wrong all along, I go to marvel in joy and wonderment at all that is real out there. I get energized and feel alert, alive and aware. I sit still and quiet and watch the Chipmunks play with out startling them. I see movement out of the corners of my eyes and then track the tweety birds in the brush with my eyes. Sometimes I even know their names. I'll find game trails and try to identfy the tracks and sometimes follow them a bit just to see where they go. If I hear a Woodpecker I try to sneak up to see it without being seen. I can make fire with flint,steel and a vasoline soaked cotton ball but would rather use found paper and a bic lighter or if it's wet cold and miserable a propane stove, lantern and heater. Evening brings out the Deer and Dusk brings out the Songdogs. Night brings out the stars, lots and lots of stars. I camp by myself or with someone but this is camping to me.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads