JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just curious if anyone has done this?

Ive been thinking about it a lot lately, as my collection is getting more refined, I'd like to finally make the safe work better for the ones that will be in there for a long time.

Im thinking of gutting it and building new walls and shelves too.

The factory insides are decent, but not truly the best for all that Id like to keep in there and in a way that prevents run ups and bump intos.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!

reno

Were you thinking of more hanging stuff on the walls or something more pleasuring to look at?
I want better function and looks. The fabric used by the manufacture was nice when I first bought it. It is not oil or chemically resistant in any way and over the years it has started to look pretty bad. That and the precut rest thingies are never spaced right and I feel that I could make something spaced correctly, or buy those magnet poles to space the long ones better.

I did not like the factory rests in my safe. Took up too much room to make the safe hold the number of guns for which it is advertised. I went with gun rods from Gun Storage Solutions. Purchased on Amazon. Removed the pre-formed spacers. Now I can place the gun wherever I want; spaced out/close together/whatever. Admittedly, I have had them only a few months but am so far very happy with the solution.

I think your idea is a great one....customize it to works best for you. There is no downside to that. Everyone who has a safe knows you cram your stuff in and it never fits like you would like it to. Now you got me thinking...another project to add to the list I guess.

Safe makers use thick/heavy carpeted OSB for shelving to add to the overall weight and weight spec. as a selling point.
Most buyers equate the weight to steel...but it's actually wood.

I have always removed that crap and built my own out of thin 3/8" or 1/2" plywood and thin aluminum angle brackets.
And you don't have to use those built-in shelf backet tracks when you plan/build what you want.

Separate (smaller) safes for handguns and rifles will gain a lot of room too.
I gutted my smaller pistol safe and replaced the shelves with coated wire type shelving that are stacked.
And just this week added 2 pistol racks made out of some scrap siding, covered with peel and stick carpet tiles.

I used small 1/2x1/2 aluminum angle brackets to hold the wood together on the back and underside.
I could not find the brackets I wanted so I bought aluminum angle, cut it up, and drilled the holes for #6 wood screws.

I copied this rack, made of foam, that got some negative revues as being "flimsy".
I put cubbies under each gun slot to store a 2nd magazine.
jmo,

WireShelves.JPG OnRack.JPG Model.jpg

Last Edited:
Just today in fact.. Funny timing. Measured and soon adding another shelf in my large safe for pistols. Been going a bit pistol crazy over the last year. I'm fairly invested in the snapsafe style pistol racks have a couple left I'm just now filling, otherwise the other pistol storage units listed here would probably save a bit more room.

I've used boat hull liner fabric in safes. It's not that expensive and is easy to cut and fit.
The place I buy from is called Perfect Fit and it's off of NE Airport Way &130th in Portland.

I've used boat hull liner fabric in safes. It's not that expensive and is easy to cut and fit.
The place I buy from is called Perfect Fit and it's off of NE Airport Way &130th in Portland.
I used peel and stick Carpet "Tile" I bought at my local Walleyworld.
A box of 12, 12"x12" tiles is $17.
Link to wallyworld:
I bought a box for $12, a week later it cost $17.
:s0092:
Edit: Carpet tiles did not stick well so used my wife's hot glue gun for a better bond.

Last Edited:
Thanks for all the ideas. Keep um coming. I'm compiling a list of ideas and such. I've got a good amount of room in there these days and I can likely make it way more aesthetic and functional. I'll certainly be implementing some of the ideas from here. You all never disappoint.

Thanks for all the ideas. Keep um coming. I'm compiling a list of ideas and such. I've got a good amount of room in there these days and I can likely make it way more aesthetic and functional. I'll certainly be implementing some of the ideas from here. You all never disappoint.
So green shag or brown?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads