Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Form 1 or 4?

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by UAV, Nov 14, 2011.

1. UAV

UAV PDX Member

I am looking to build an AR 15 SBR and was wondering what the benefits and drawbacks were from either submitting a form 1 for a lower that I currently own or by purchasing a lower specifically marked for an SBR and submitting a form 4.

Thanks for the help!

2. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

potentially less wait with a form 1, as you don't need to wait for the transfer between dealers. other than that, it doesn't really matter.. costs the same, is the same violation to your constitutional rights.. if you "make" it yourself, you make it how you want it.. if you buy, you get what's available.

3. Abiqua

Abiqua Oregon Active Member

The resale value of a factory marked SBR is potentially higher than one with your engraving.

4. OR_VARMINT_HUNTER

OR_VARMINT_HUNTER Banks,OREGON Member

I just finished sending in my paper work for an ar15 sbr and I went form 4

5. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

I see no advantage one way or the other. Resale on an SBR is going to be low unless you sell it in state because there would be a second tax for out of state.

What is the price of a "factory" SBR lower vs the price of your lower + engraving?

6. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

and let us not forget that the ATF regularly approved forms with empty 4H boxes.

7. UAV

UAV PDX Member

The factory SBR lower that I am looking at will cost about $150-200 more then if I did a form 1 for a lower that I already own however I do need to hassle with getting it engraved. I was mostly interested in whether or not there seemed to be a time frame difference in getting the forms approved however it appears as though they will both take the same amount of time. Thank you for the replies!

8. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

All the forms go to the same place to get processed in the same way.

9. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

LOL.. yeah, PAINFULLY slow!