JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a good point. When I started I charged one case at a time. Had a tub with primed brass, and I'd pull one out, charge, and set in the block. I had to of done well over 1000 rounds of 9mm, 45, .38sp, .40 like that. Gotta be careful about the charges ya' know! Now I put 8/16 pieces of primed brass in the block and pass the block under the thrower to charge them. And re-weigh one every 8th-16th charge.
I only use the block for rifle ammo, can't double charge there.

Heck I started on a Lee loader doing 38 specials one at a time. Then a RCBS junior that when I became competent I could load 100 38s an hour. Square Deal does 450 and no mistakes if you keep it fed in every way.

Like it better than the 550 because you have to manually index the 550.

Bullseye was the first powder I loaded. I soon learned that I liked Unique a LOT better. And I liked H110 and WW296 a lot more than that!!!
Unique is a "step up" from Bullseye, but can still step down and works well with fairly soft loads.
However I don't think there is a more economical powder to shoot in 38 Special target loads. Bullseye gained it's name for a reason. :)

Bullseye is my favorite powder for 9mm and 45ACP
Bullseye was the first powder used in the manufacture of .45acp.
That original lot of powder still exists and it is tested annually.
Nothing wrong with it.
I've always used Red Dot for everything. It burns between Bullseye and Unique.

While Unique is well, Unique, something I have noticed about it and what may be the cause of many saying it leaves 'unburned flakes'.

Well it does, IF loaded in smaller cases and under 5 or so grains.

Loaded say, 7 grains or higher, and in larger cases, it burns much cleaner and leaves no unburned flakes.

Loaded say, 7 grains or higher, and in larger cases, it burns much cleaner and leaves no unburned flakes.
In my somewhat limited experience compared to many of you, that's seems true for several other powders I've played with. HS-6 for one I know of for sure.

I like Bullseye, still have a couple pounds but rarely use it. I use a lot more Unique.

When I load with a single stage press, I'll put 50 cases in a block, then drop powder in them from a measure or scale, depending on the powder and how well it measures, weighing occasionally if dropped from the measure, at least before and after every block full.

Then, before seating bullets, I use a bright light to get a visual on the powder level in each and every case, from at least a couple angles. 30-some years ago I had a squib in a revolver because I didn't check the cases in the block back when I was a newbie, and it was a pain to get that bullet out of the forcing cone. I won't make that mistake again.

It takes an extra minute or so per block full, but I never skip the powder check and visual inspection.

I use 50 round blocks and it is very easy to inspect the load level as long as you use good lighting. I am using Titegroup, so I have to be extra careful. Not a big deal as long as I make 100% sure that I inspect powder level before placing the bullets (loosely) on top of each round.

Oh, and NEVER have more than one powder out at a time. When putting it away you make sure that any powder holders have been emptied. I also put a sticker on the cap of my active Titegroup container that says "9mm / 45acp". That helps avoid the worry about similarly named pistol and rifle powders.

Was messing with .44-40's recently, wanted to develop a load somewhat milder than what I came up with years ago for big-game hunting and horse pistol. That load was a duplex load of a smidgin of 4759 with Pyrodex to the brim. Lots of smoke, lots of power, lots of fun.

Ken Waters' Pet Loads had high praise for 9.0gr of Unique behind any 200gr bullet. I prefer jacketed bullets for almost all work, and the 180XTP worked well on Pronghorn with the duplex load. 20 grains less of lead to push would grant a safety margin for older guns (though this load is rated for them with the 200gr weight).

Superb results right off the bat with an Uberti '66 Rifle. One of Waters' test guns was a Cimmaron replica (7/8 scale model of a '73), and I happen to have one of those and it really liked this load as well. Will try it in the pistols shortly.

I LIKE Unique!

1702675745000.jpeg

1702676087375.jpeg

Last Edited:
I've used a lot of 231 for 38 target loads. But most of my shooting was indoors. Once I moved to shooting outdoors in the cold (steel challenge) I found 231 to emit too much smoke to the point I couldn't see my front site. I switched to Bullseye and problem disappeared. I think it's because 231 is a single base powder. I've had the same problem with target shotgun loads in the winter.

One pound of Bullseye will last a long time. On those rare occasions that it's called for, I use the French equivalent, Vectan BA. A bottle of which I've been dipping out of for over 20 years.

Blue Dot is a fantastic handgun powder, if you ask me. I have several pounds of it. I've used it in 45ACP, 357 Mag and before Alliant said "no more", in the 41 Mag.
It can make some very good power. A little dirty, maybe, but I don't care too much about that.

Was messing with .44-40's recently, wanted to develop a load somewhat milder than what I came up with years ago for big-game hunting and horse pistol. That load was a duplex load of a smidgin of 4759 with Pyrodex to the brim. Lots of smoke, lots of power, lots of fun.

Ken Waters' Pet Loads had high praise for 9.0gr of Unique behind any 200gr bullet. I prefer jacketed bullets for almost all work, and the 180XTP worked well on Pronghorn with the duplex load. 20 grains less of lead to push would grant a safety margin for older guns (though this load is rated for them with the 200gr weight).

Superb results right off the bat with an Uberti '66 Rifle. One of Waters' test guns was a Cimmaron replica (7/8 scale model of a '73), and I happen to have one of those and it really liked this load as well. Will try it in the pistols shortly.

I LIKE Unique!

View attachment 1782511

View attachment 1782512
Never mind the powder discussion, shooting off of my own porch is one of my life goals!

Blue Dot is a fantastic handgun powder, if you ask me. I have several pounds of it. I've used it in 45ACP, 357 Mag and before Alliant said "no more", in the 41 Mag.
It can make some very good power. A little dirty, maybe, but I don't care too much about that.
Ball powder? For handgun, it's a must to use ball powder for me. Even the favorites of Bullseye and Unique weren't right for how I like to load because their flakes didn't drop as smoothly as ball powders. I love H335 for .223 because I can get exact drops every time.

And 10 minutes ago I was reading an article where the writer was using BlueD
I select powders that are the most accurate for that particular caliber.
I have used Blue Dot for 9 mm loads for many years. Only problem I have with it, it is flashy! I was shooting
at the club and a fellow member asked me If I was using Blue Dot by how flashy it is. Bullseye, Blue dot and
Unique are all older powders that are a little dirty. Now on 9 mm I am using Titegroup. CFE pistol is accurate
and works well in 45 auto and 9 mm.
I prefer Universal to Unique on Blue. And Bullseye continues to satisfy after finally discovering its virtues.
I agree. Universal about the same burn rate as Unique. It is just as accurate but is a lot cleaner burning.
Offhand 24 rounds at 15 yards 45 auto. 200 SWC lead and 4.0 grains of Bullseye. Example of the virtue of Bullseye.
Pulled a low left '9'. Operator error.
1702745661951.png

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR