JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Precision Reloading has free HazMat over $199.00 for powder and primers.

I don't use the stuff myself. I haven't seen it on shelves/on-line for a long time.

Precision Reloading has free HazMat over $199.00 for powder and primers.

I don't use the stuff myself. I haven't seen it on shelves/on-line for a long time.
For decades Bullseye was the powder of choice for target shooters. Most shooters in those days tried to save a buck and Bullseye gave you the best bang for the money. Only draw back was in the old days of single stage presses a lot of guys double charged their rounds and it blew up their guns.

For decades Bullseye was the powder of choice for target shooters. Most shooters in those days tried to save a buck and Bullseye gave you the best bang for the money. Only draw back was in the old days of single stage presses a lot of guys double charged their rounds and it blew up their guns.
It's one of the first powders I tried in pistol rounds when I started loading the end of Nov. 2011. I'd look at the book and see what powders would cross over. And people said it was good. I found I didn't care for the powder crunch in the dispenser, and it seemed dirty. I went with 231/HP-38 for those rounds. Still have to be carful not to double-charge though.

Most pistol powders are easy to double-charge if you aren't paying attention, except maybe if you're making magnum loads. It depends on how big the case is. A .45 Colt or .44 Magnum case will hold a LOT of Bullseye, a 9mm or .380, not so much. Just pay attention to what you're doing and it'll be fine. Bullseye and 231/HP-38 are my usual pistol powders. Unique is good too.

It's one of the first powders I tried in pistol rounds when I started loading the end of Nov. 2011. I'd look at the book and see what powders would cross over. And people said it was good. I found I didn't care for the powder crunch in the dispenser, and it seemed dirty. I went with 231/HP-38 for those rounds. Still have to be carful not to double-charge though.
231 is my favorite powder in 45acp and 38 special target loads, I have used it for decades. Bullseye was always a good performance powder in accuracy but like you said it's dirty. At the club you could always tell who was using Bullseye in their 45 by the cloud of smoke after they shot a stage in competition.

Fun days they were.

231 is my favorite powder in 45acp and 38 special target loads, I have used it for decades. Bullseye was always a good performance powder in accuracy but like you said it's dirty. At the club you could always tell who was using Bullseye in their 45 by the cloud of smoke after they shot a stage in competition.

Fun days they were.
Old habits are hard to break. :) I had picked up a load of HP-38 like the "old school" picked up Bullseye.

I shared my 45acp load with friends over the years and most love it. HP38/231 Win makes excellent target loads, a 200 grain lswc over 5.6 works excellent in any 45acp gun including revolvers. Power enough but doesn't beat the fun to death. Used that load for a lot of fun.

I shared my 45acp load with friends over the years and most love it. HP38/231 Win makes excellent target loads, a 200 grain lswc over 5.6 works excellent in any 45acp gun including revolvers. Power enough but doesn't beat the fun to death. Used that load for a lot of fun.
I had to look. 5.6 is what I've got in .45 acp with a plated 200g bullet.

I never tried bullseye because l love W231 but it sounds like unique flakes with a hole in the middle.
You're thinking "Trial Boss", I think? Little doughnuts, I think I've heard. Bullseye has been around forever. Trail Boss not nears as long.

200 SWC lead or coated blue bullets with 4.0 grains of Bullseye. Classic target load I have been using
for 40 years. Will function in a 45 with standard recoil springs. It is dirty but shoots very accurate.

3.5 gr. of BullsEye + 145 gr. Keith HP has accounted for many Jackrabbits out of my .38 Spl. Combat Masterpiece. :eek:

I've used BullsEye for years in .38 Spl., but found was dirty and smoked a lot in my 9mm so I tried #7 pistol and that worked great. 5.5 gr. is a compression load, but #7 burns clean and is accurate with the same 145 gr. HP out of my S&W 469. :)

*Note, Your mileage may vary. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Only draw back was in the old days of single stage presses a lot of guys double charged their rounds and it blew up their guns.
Old days of single stage presses?

Maybe the look and design has changed but they are still used today however it is Not at all a fault of the press; but the persons' lack of attention by most likely NOT checking powder levels after charging the cases.

Another mistake is simply setting the powder dispenser/measure with the wrong charge weight and not double checking with a scale.

Last Edited:
Old days of single stage presses? Maybe the look and design has changed but they are still used today however it is Not at all a fault of the press but the persons' lack of attention by most likely NOT checking powder levels after charging the cases.
With a good progressive press like a Dillion square deal you can't double charge once it indexes. If a loader operates the machine with a full stroke of the handle you can't back up and charge the same case twice.

With single stage presses when the powder charge is done its easy for the loader to double charge unless he powders one at a time. Bullseye is such a small amount that when the cases are powdered in a 50 rnd loading block its easy to not see or get out of order.

With single stage presses when the powder charge is done its easy for the loader to double charge unless he powders one at a time.
The press is NOT used to charge the cases so it is a moot point.

Of course cases are charged one at a time. You cant really charge two at a time. Most single stage reloaders use loading blocks and charge with a bench mounted powder thrower by moving from one case to the next and dispensing the powder however it is 'old hat' to use a flashlight and inspect the charged cases for the same levels of powder.

Been doing this about 47 years now....

Last Edited:

Of course cases are charged one at a time. You cant really charge two at a time. Most single stage reloaders use loading blocks and charge with a bench mounted powder thrower by moving from one case to the next and dispensing the powder however it is 'old hat' to use a flashlight and inspect the charged cases for the same levels of powder.

Some folks don't use loading blocks, they mount the powder measure on the press and charge one case at a time and then put a bullet on and run it all in the press.

Guys that use the loading block are moving 50 cases with every charge to the next charge. The cases all look the same and it easy for a new loader to miss a case or double charge.

Guy with 47 years on the press won't screw up but new guys will because they don't have the system down to load.

Square deal does away with loading blocks and single charges and it's hard to make a mistake with them.

I started hand loading for my Ruger Security six when I was 18 with my BIL help and encouragement, will load 1500 more rnds next week on my Square deal, at 71 I have loaded a lot of ammo.

I have an old fixed tumbler for loading pistol and I have the tumblers cut out to hold charges for BullsEye and #7. With my RCBS Jr. the sequence is drop powder into primed/sized case then seat bullet. The only time I use a loading block is for rifle and a double charge would spill over.

Guys that use the loading block are moving 50 cases with every charge to the next charge. The cases all look the same and it easy for a new loader to miss a case or double charge.

Guy with 47 years on the press won't screw up but new guys will because they don't have the system down to load.
This is a good point. When I started I charged one case at a time. Had a tub with primed brass, and I'd pull one out, charge, and set in the block. I had to of done well over 1000 rounds of 9mm, 45, .38sp, .40 like that. Gotta be careful about the charges ya' know! Now I put 8/16 pieces of primed brass in the block and pass the block under the thrower to charge them. And re-weigh one every 8th-16th charge.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top