JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@Joe Link You know COBOL ?

When I was in college I had a couple of terms - Ronny was Pres.

I still remember my first program, got like 19,000 errors. Left the . (period) off the end of IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
( COBOL - Program Structure - Tutorialspoint )
In that we used punch cards, and I got back a ream of computer paper ... every error printed out.

OIT used an OPTIMIZING compiler -- for students ?! Stupid. Harris - a computer used to track satellites.
"How quaint"

:)

A bit of advice regarding recruiting agencies:

I updated my resume on Indeed.com, and now I am getting emails from recruiters at agencies.

Recruiting agencies are a mixed bag.

I suggest controlling how many agencies/recruiters have your resume (assuming you have one) and controlling who they send it to. You do not want multiple resumes from multiple recruiters going to the same employer for the same position. Most of the upper end recruiters for professional career recruiting understand this and will accommodate your wishes in this regard. Temp staffing agencies for non-professional positions, sometimes do not.

Fly by night recruiters from agencies you never heard of, are more likely to shotgun your resume out without consideration of your wishes or those of the employer (many of which do not want to deal with recruiters at all, or only with certain agencies).

I make it clear before I give my resume to a recruiter that I have these conditions on where and when my resume is sent out for a position. I am only going to work with a few agencies that I have dealt with in the past.

A bit of advice regarding recruiting agencies:

I updated my resume on Indeed.com, and now I am getting emails from recruiters at agencies.

Recruiting agencies are a mixed bag.

I suggest controlling how many agencies/recruiters have your resume (assuming you have one) and controlling who they send it to. You do not want multiple resumes from multiple recruiters going to the same employer for the same position. Most of the upper end recruiters for professional career recruiting understand this and will accommodate your wishes in this regard. Temp staffing agencies for non-professional positions, sometimes do not.

Fly by night recruiters from agencies you never heard of, are more likely to shotgun your resume out without consideration of your wishes or those of the employer (many of which do not want to deal with recruiters at all, or only with certain agencies).

I make it clear before I give my resume to a recruiter that I have these conditions on where and when my resume is sent out for a position. I am only going to work with a few agencies that I have dealt with in the past.
Oh, I have a whole filtering system for recruiters. And a list of favorites who get first dibs.

"Other states, including Ohio, Oregon and Texas, are still working on the process to send out the extra federal money, agency officials said. Some states will provide a single larger weekly check, while others may opt to send the state and federal benefits separately."

Thinking about taking SSI early (assuming you are 62+)?

For every month you take it early:

Not much difference for me long term or short term, except that this year or next I could use those $ to weather thru this mess. If I get a job then I can just keep working nonetheless.

BTW - this kind of crap is as illegal as s***:

In most states employers must pay employees who quit, or who are fired or who are laid off, in full, at the next scheduled pay date.

In some states, IIRC, the requirement is something like 48 hours - I could be wrong on that.

But you can't do what this employer did.

That said, my employer chose to pay me regularly - i.e., they pay on a 2 week delay; I get paid for the work I did 2 weeks ago. So I will get my third paycheck (after being laid off) this Friday - I got two before that after being laid off. Not sure if that is kosher with OR state law, but it is ok with me. If they were going out of business then I would be concerned, but that isn't the case.

Just don't let your previous employer BS you about when they can pay you.

Also, if you get paid severance, generally they can't tell you that you can't file for unemployment because of the severance. At least not in ORegon. A family member was laid off and her employer tried to pull that trick on her.

They can say, ok you just take the rest of the week off and we will pay you for it, but if it is severance pay in lieu of work, then you can file for unemployment ASAP - you don't have to wait until they finish the severance payments and you don't have to wait however long the payments are for - if they are truly severance. If you aren't working, if you are no longer considered to be in their employment, you are unemployed.

26f36cf007c70138d9a8005056a9545d.gif

I am not surprised that it would take a lot of effort to change their system to waive the week. For the past 9 years I have worked on a codebase that was like that; something seemingly simple could take weeks, something else that might seem hard would take 5 minutes. Poorly designed, poorly maintained, fragile, hard to read code - that is what you get when you have arbitrary deadlines, high turnover rate, poorly scheduled projects and people who don't listen to their devs.

I opened my claim last week after the Federal rescue package was passed. I wonder if since the state of Oregon wont skip the waiting week if they are obligated to to pay the $600 from the feds for that week when they finally get it implemented in their system?.

I opened my claim last week after the Federal rescue package was passed. I wonder if since the state of Oregon wont skip the waiting week if they are obligated to to pay the $600 from the feds for that week when they finally get it implemented in their system?.

I am not sure, one would think so, but then... :s0092:

We will have to wait to find out.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top