JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

They didn't mention Medicare. If you are 65 or older you can (and should) apply for Medicare if you don't have employer supplied insurance, and maybe even if you do. There is a SEP (Special Enrollment Period) if you had employer supplied insurance and lost it because you lost your job - but you need to act on it promptly.

My qualifications:

I am an old hand at this. Been unemployed - usually suddenly and unexpectedly - many times. Sometimes for extended periods (longest was 2 years and 2 days during the dot com crunch) and lots of times not being able to find a job until the UI benefits ran out (usually 26 weeks or roughly 6 months). Once there was there was the NAFTA thing - I forget if that extended benefits or not. There was federal benefit extensions at least one time. Been thru one UI dept. audit of my job search (when you go so long they want to make sure you are actually searching).

When I was young, unskilled in the mid 70s, I was unemployed 50% of the time because I was seasonal labor (mostly in the mobile home factories, but also working in ag or anything else I could find that paid min wage). Back then, you had to go stand in line and fill out cards about the size of a bank check IIC, showing your job search and turn them in.

My stint in the USCG was the first steady job I had where I didn't need to worry about a paycheck (I thought - congress often held up funding) or job security.

Afterwards I used my GI Bill (old) to go to college, then after two AS degrees I still struggled for 6 months to find a job until I was offered one in tech. From there I went upwards in skills/experience/satisfaction and pay to where I was yesterday, making a 6 figure income with software dev skills that are maybe still in demand, to where I am now, making nothing, so close to FRA (Full Retirement Age) that I now not only need to file for UI benefits, but also medicare and in a couple of months start the paper for SSI benefits to start in August.

While it is kind of doubtful that hiring managers and tech teams will hire someone 66 and so close to FRA, I am going to try anyway - I have kids who are struggling on a single income and I just lost $80K (on paper) in my IRAs. I need a good steady income for another year or two (maybe more) to finish out my career. If nothing else I need those UI benefits.

My plan is to do a diligent job search and get benefits as long as possible, probably into the end of the year or into next. If I get no bites - whether it is due to the job market or my age - then I will reconsider my situation.

But stuff happens. When it does, deal with it and move on as best you can.

Remember:

View attachment 674845

Keep your eyes on the road ahead.
Great post and thanks. I in part relate to some of your experiences and current situation. I finally retired this last December on the 20th. I was 78 and have since turned 79. I continued working that long because I supported my Mom the last 3 years of her life and it dug deeply into a 401K. And I've helped a deserving daughter out as well. I'm not ashamed nor complaining about where I'm at as I know I did my best and retrospect tells me faced with the same things again I would follow the same road. My health is great and my family and friends are the best. My concern today is this idiot virus chit.

What about a new section here in the classifieds? People looking for work and people who need stuff done. Want to hire/ Want to work.
Any house painters on here, exterior. I live in Milwaukie and am having some siding replaced ( couldn't wait ) and I'll need the east wall of my home painted, 2 story home. Mostly just a big flat wall with only a man door to the garage. Vegetation is minimal. If it looks like something you'd like please PM me. Thanks

Good thread!
Humanity matters.
The one thing I would say is mental happiness can be found in the simplest ways. Enduring to the end is the mission!

Having been unemployed many times, and being more financially secure over time, each time it is something I can handle a little better - but each time it is usually a shock, and not a good one. Employers don't help when they do not give us the notice they require of us (generally two weeks). That may work better for them, but it does not leave a good impression on employees, including those left behind and still employed. Those "left behind" then realize just how vulnerable they are, and begin to wonder whether they will be next and when. Depending on the situation, employers may or may not want remaining employees to leave, thereby reducing their headcount by attrition - which is often not good for the employer because they have no real control over when and how that happens - or who leaves (ask me about that sometime - I have a funny story).

On the two teams/projects I worked on, the teams are now cut down to the bare bones necessary for the projects to continue - and they can forget about the projects completing on schedule. If just one of the remaining core members of the team leaves, it will set the projects back by months as each remaining member is absolutely necessary - if they leave, it is unlikely anybody remaining can replace them, and they will have to hire someone new. Being so uncaring about this effect just increases the chance that it will indeed happen - I've seen it many times.

OTOH, I've seen people devastated by being laid off - people crying, getting mad and/or otherwise upset. While I am passionate about what I do, and do my best on any job, it is just a job, not my life, and while it upsets my life, I am ready and able to walk away from any job without coming unglued.

What I am saying is, don't become so emotionally invested in your job that if it disappears suddenly, that it becomes a traumatic experience for that reason (of course, it can be trauma for other reasons, such as financial dependence on your income).

I often said to people at work, you can lose your job at any time. You could come in tomorrow and find you need to clean out your desk, or that it has been cleaned out for you. Be prepared for that - in every way possible.

Last Edited:

When filling out the online form, when you get to the page on mailing/street address (the latter is your home address), if you don't check your mail at your mailing address every single day, and you can still receive mail at your home address, put your home address in for your mailing address.

I have a mailing address that I have almost all my mail sent to because it is more secure - but I only check it every week or two. So instead of using that address, I used my home address.

The Oregon employment division will send you a notice by mail eventually where they want you to come in and talk to someone (IIRC WA state does too). They initially require you to appear once for verification that you are who you say you are (in WA state there may be some kind of orientation - I had that once). Then again in about 6 weeks or so.

They won't call. They won't email for those notifications. If you don't show up, then your benefits will get denied.

Also, remember, don't play by their rules and they will require you to payback some or all of your benefits.

BTW - if you have been getting UI for some months already, and if you are nearing the end of your 26 weeks, keep submitting claims even after your 26 weeks run out.

It is going to take a while for the state systems to implement the extension of 13 weeks, so don't stop - eventually the state systems will catch up and then you will get paid for those weeks you claimed.

This is how it worked several times when I was unemployed years ago and there were federal extensions.

From

On March 27, the CARES act was signed into law, which will expand Unemployment Insurance benefits. We are working to incorporate these new changes into our resource guides, and will issue a news release and additional online announcements about pandemic unemployment assistance and unemployment benefit extensions as we receive guidance from the U.S. Department of Labor. Our resource guides for employers and workers can be found on our COVID-19 page.

As of March 24, 2020, our offices are accepting visitors by appointment only in order to help slow the spread of COVID-19. Please contact your local WorkSource center for job seeker and employer services. Phone and online service options are also available. Unemployment Insurance claims can only be filed using our online system or by calling 1-877-FILE-4-UI. We encourage everyone who can to file online and help keep wait times down on the phone.

Pasted%20image%201585942685326.png

@Joe Link You know COBOL ?

When I was in college I had a couple of terms - Ronny was Pres.

I still remember my first program, got like 19,000 errors. Left the . (period) off the end of IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
( COBOL - Program Structure - Tutorialspoint )
In that we used punch cards, and I got back a ream of computer paper ... every error printed out.

OIT used an OPTIMIZING compiler -- for students ?! Stupid. Harris - a computer used to track satellites.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews