JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oregon Employment Department
Here is an overview of what's gone wrong with Oregon jobless claims during the first weeks of the coronavirus outbreak:

Long processing times: Many laid-off workers have been waiting more than a month for their claims to be approved, frequently because of erroneous rejections by the state's rickety computer systems. Overwhelmed by the number of claims, the employment department hasn't communicated individually with these workers and hasn't issued broad guidance on what's gone wrong or how it plans to fix it.

Phone calls: Many claims can be processed automatically, online. Others require a call to the employment department. With more than 330,000 Oregonians suddenly out of work, the department's phone lines are overwhelmed. Most callers get only busy signals, even if they call hundreds of times. Those who do get through spend an average of two hours on hold – and fewer than half those calls get answered. The department has expanded its claims processing staff from 110 to 520, with plans to increase to 800. Even that isn't close to keeping up with demand, though.

Waiting week: Laid-off workers typically have to wait a week after losing their jobs before they are eligible to collect benefits. Congress provided funding last month to eliminate the waiting week and most states immediately said they would. But Oregon officials said they would not implement a waiver because reprogramming the agency's antiquated computer systems would take too much time – a decision that would cost the state workers well over $100 million in lost benefits. Gov. Kate Brown reversed the decision amid pressure from the state's congressional delegation and following coverage of the issue by The Oregonian/OregonLive.

Contractors and the self-employed: Such workers don't pay into the unemployment claims system and aren't typically eligible for benefits. Congress changed that in March but Oregon took a month to adapt its systems. It began taking those claims Tuesday but says it could take up to a month to process some of them.

$600 federal checks: Congress funded a $600 weekly bonus last month for laid-off workers. Oregon moved quickly to pay out the federal money – but then withheld thousands of checks last week. The state didn't explain why it withheld the checks, but later told The Oregonian/OregonLive it withheld the money because it had double-paid more than 10,000 workers in the first week of the new benefit. However, many workers' claim histories appear to indicate they were not double-paid. The state says it is still trying to figure out what happened.

"Restart error": For two Sundays in a row, the employment department told workers they must restart their claims when they file for weekly benefits. The restart notifications were a mistake but the employment department didn't immediately say so – and the error occurred on a second Sunday after the department said it has been fixed.

Thank you for contacting us. We are currently responding to an unprecedented volume of Unemployment Insurance claims and inquiries. We are sorry for the delays you are experiencing. This auto-reply is to let you know that we received your email. Please know that we are working to respond to every person who has contacted us. We ask that you only send your inquiry once as duplicate emails make it harder for us to respond to all the customers that need us.

Here are answers to some of our most commonly asked questions:

Help! I can't get through and have tried calling over and over all day.

This is a time of great uncertainty and anxiety for our customers who have suddenly become laid off and need unemployment benefits. When so many people call simultaneously and repeatedly, it jams our phone system and fewer people can get through to someone to help.

If you are having trouble getting through our phone system, we will take care of a past week's claim when you do get through to us. Please know that we are receiving record numbers of daily claims. We appreciate your patience.

I got an error saying I need to re-start my claim. What happened?

A small portion of claims are receiving a re-start claim error when they file their weekly claim for benefits. Typically these errors occur when we update our system over the weekend. If you received an error message when you filed your weekly claim for benefits over the weekend, please try again during the week.

There are instances where some customers may actually need to re-start their claim. This typically happens when a person files an initial claim for benefits, and then does not file a weekly claim for benefits. When a week lapses in your reporting, you will need to restart your claim. If you need to restart your claim, we will send you a secure email so we can confirm some information and assist you with restarting your claim.

I was getting my $600 weekly payments, then I didn't for the week of April 12 to April 18. What happened?

When the original federal pandemic unemployment compensation (FPUC) payments were processed on April 10, many of them were paid twice, meaning many people were paid an additional $1,200 in that first week. To offset that, the Employment Department did not make the $600 payments during the week of April 12 to April 18 for those who were double-paid before. You should receive your regular and additional $600 payments as usual for all remaining eligible weeks.

I put in a return to work date but we will still be under Stay Home, Stay Alive orders. How can I fix it?

We are clearing out the return to work dates on claims as our employees process them. Just keep claiming benefits each week.

I am self-employed or otherwise do not qualify for regular UI benefits; how should I file a claim for benefits?

Please access the PUA application and certification forms on the CARES Act section of the Employment Department's COVID-19 web page.

I ran out of benefits before the COVID-19 closures happened, and now I can't find a job. Can I still get benefits?

The Oregon Employment Department is working to implement the Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) portion of the CARES Act. This includes 13 weeks of additional benefits. Please keep filing your weekly claims for the weeks you are out of work and eligible for benefits, and subscribe to updates at COVID-19 Related Business Layoffs, Closures, and Unemployment Insurance Benefits to receive notifications for when this program starts.

P.S. Want to stay in the know? Sign up for our email updates.

Interesting. I haven't seen anything about another extension or more expanded benefits - yet.

They did have a number of extensions in 2008 - depending on the unemployment rate of the state, whether it was a certain amount over the national average. They had some people on unemployment clear out to 99 weeks.

Not going to hold my breath. I will be satisfied, for the time being, if they would just catch up with the current benefits in Oregon and start paying them out.

Just checked and it shows that I am being paid for UI. Probably be getting a check in the mail for the 4 weeks they are paying me.
$544 per week UI
$504 per week Fed, after state and fed taxes ($96)
Hope you guys are seeing this with your UI benefits now ;)

Ron

It is a LOT more people than have ever been unemployed before, but yes, they totally fell down on the job prior to the emergency; the whole thing of sitting on the $90M fed money allotted for fixing the system, for many years and not doing anything is just astounding.

For those who are unemployed in Oregon, this might be something to look into.

Empower Yourself. Be your own boss.

Do you have professional expertise - or a passion for a pursuit - that could turn into a business? This could be your opportunity to make it happen.

The Self Employment Assistance (SEA) Program empowers people to start their own businesses, without losing the 'safety net' of unemployment. With no requirement for weekly job searches, you can focus on building your business full time. You can keep the profits you earn, and still receive up to 26 weeks of unemployment insurance benefits.

SEA provides the support and resources to build your own business and be your own boss. All it takes is a viable idea, and a willingness to work hard.

Talked to a neighbor yesterday who had a relative that had filed for UI six weeks ago - nothing - no response from UI. :s0092:

I checked this morning - same as yesterday. I feel bad for those people who had no savings and were living paycheck to paycheck. :(

Just more proof why we must count on ourselves and not some "benevolent" Governmental leaders.

Yes. As I mentioned before (I think), ten years ago I had an employer who tried to claim I was fired for cause (they had a habit of doing that because of their high turnover). They lost when I quoted verbatim what my boss told me on my exit interview - but you never know what is going to happen with UI.

I have a neighbor who was in a bad car accident (his truck went off the road in the woods). He can't get UI, and he has been waiting for many months to get SSI disability. He had TBI from the accident and was in a coma, then in a wheelchair, and now can barely walk (needs assistance) - he was a diesel equipment mech and he can't do that anymore, he probably can't do much of any kind of work - still recovering. He had just changed jobs and didn't have the disability insurance he had previously had.

Stuff happens and most insurance won't cover every possibility.

Not everybody can afford to payoff their debt and set aside $ for a "rainy day", but if it is at all possible, one should (especially if they are tempted to buy non-essential stuff instead). As I said, stuff happens and you usually don't know when it is going to happen. I was lucky in that my client/employer was talking about layoffs and a recession last year so I switched to 80/20 & 60/40 bonds/stocks in my retirement accounts - so I didn't lose as much as I could have.

I also paid 2 months ahead in my mortgage payments back in 2018 when I had that timber sale, so now I can put off my mortgage payments for May and June.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top