JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice to hear. There have been a number of positive stories on this site about air travel with guns. I plan to go to Michigan next year to compete in the State games of America (the cheezy downscale olympics) with a couple of pistols and a rifle. Nice to hear I won't have big hassles.
Great thing is Alaska Airlines flies directly into Detroit from Seattle. I taking 5 firearms classes an hour south of Cleveland this year and so I'm flying into Detroit and driving down because it's going to be a lot cheaper and Alaska Airlines is really cheap as long as your flying direct flights.

I went to Michigan about 2 years ago, and here's my experience:

Leaving PDX: Pistol in small pistol case locked with a non-TSA lock (yes, that's how you do it), placed inside large checked baggage locked with a TSA-Compliant lock. Went to counter checked baggage, declared the firearm. They brought my bag down to the end of the counter, where I met with a TSA guy, who put on gloves, asked me to open my large bag, verified that my pistol case was locked (I don't honestly remember if he had me open the pistol case, I don't think so). He then swabbed the pistol case, maybe some of the clothes, and the outside of the large bag, stuck the swabs in a machine to check for gunpowder residue that my set off some other alarm or dog or something, but all came back clean. Zipped the big bag back up, locked it, and off it went on the conveyor belt. Everyone was nice, no attitudes, no problems. Pickup in Detroit was nothing different than without a firearm. Bag came down the turnstile.

Leaving DTW: Even easier. I declared it, told them it was in a locked case inside my big bag, and they said okay, and didn't even want to look inside or inspect like they did in PDX. Pickup in Portland was the same as usual, as well.

BTW, Michigan's rule on CCW is that they will respect out of state permits, so long as they're issued by your home state (e.g. if I have an OR driver's license, then my permit needs to match). For example, I have both Oregon and Utah permits, but in Michigan, even though Oregon has no reciprocity agreements, and Utah has a bunch, Michigan would respect my OR CWL, but not my UT permit.

If you're going to be traveling with a firearm and have an Android phone, I'd highly recommend the app called "Legal Heat." It allows you to download info (that is pretty kept up to date) about the open carry, concealed carry, transport rules, etc, for all the states in the US. Lots of good info, and in easy to use/read format.
Thanks for the insight. Glad to hear Detroit is easy to fly out of. Did you fly Alaska? The counter in Raleigh was only open 2 hours before the flight because Alaska only operates one flight out of there a day. Was wondering if that's the same situation in Detroit.

Luckily both Michigan and Ohio accept my WA permit.

Flew through Fort Lauderdale this weekend (out of PDX). If any airport would have firearm issues I would think it would be there after the attack. No problems whatsoever. Super easy check in with Southwest. PDX was the same as usual as well. The TSA folks and ticket agents appreciate it when you have your ducks in a row...which is true with all aspects of travel I have found.

And just to give another update...Alaska Airlines out of Boise last week. Very easy, Alaska folks great to work with as was the TSA. It works very similar to PDX in that after filling out the declaration at the ticket counter and placing the form in you luggage, you walk you back to TSA oversized, wait for the inspection (about a minute) and off you go.

Most of flying is done between Sacramento, CA and Seattle, WA. Only minor differences. At Sacramento, the Airline agent gave me the card to fill out, she checked it and then had me put it on top of the firearms case, inside checked luggage. Since checked baggage does one floor down, they have me stand to the side. When the bag clears TSA, the ticket agents give you a high sign or wave and off you go. Only takes a few minutes. At Seattle, TSA ran a chemical swab over the exterior and zippers, had me open the suitcase and firearms case asked if the firearm was unloaded, then had me lock it up. TSA then holds the bag until loading.

I would be more worried about the potential for Baggage theft or damage. They know what that is and there are always one jerk wants to steal something.

Theft by people along the way has LONG been a slight problem with luggage and flying, as has loss. Considering the millions of bags zipping around it's small but of course does happen. The theft part was why they long ago did away with the tags outside the bags. Back when they first started restricting this there was a tag on the outside. Soon came to be known as the "steal me tag". They long ago did away with it for just this reason. Guns are of course not the only thing airline employee's are famous for stealing. Many just figure the risk is worth the hassle of other options. Since we don't fly often and when we do it's to see family we ship. Costs a little but to me worth it. Checking a gun through is also NOT always easy as I try to warn people. It is "supposed to be" and was set up to be. Problem is for all the tales of gun owners telling how easy it was there is the poor guy who got stuck with some moron. Does not matter which airline or airport. I warn people who are going to check one to not listen to the tales of how easy it is and assume they can show up with not much time cushion. Get there a little early or risk a missed flight. What you do NOT want to do is just put a gun in the checked bag and not say anything. This is now just begging for a huge mess.

I've flown to SD every year for the last decade with my shotguns, always Delta since they own the route. Never a problem, check in, disclose gun, sign tag saying unloaded, take to TSA, done. In SD they seem more interested in searching the box of frozen birds :)

My wife and I will be trying it out for the first time in about a week. Alaska Airlines from PDX to Memphis........

should go fine if you follow the rules which are easy to see online. System was made to be easy. What often worries me is when this comes up on any forum there is always a lot of people saying how for "them" it's a snap. That some certain airline is great and such. The problem is this makes some get complacent. It does not matter which airline or airport you use. When there is problems it's because there is not one person who does this at every airport in the US 24/7. You have to deal with humans. Some are unlucky enough to get one who is either ignorant, arrogant, anti gun, or best yet, all of the above. It is sadly not unknown to have one tell someone they "can't take a gun", or some version of this. How the person trying to fly handles this can make a huge difference at that point. Also matters with how long it takes to get another human who does know what they are doing. This is no different than trying to ship a gun to a dealer or manufacturer. Law is clear, does not stop many humans from "thinking" they know better. All that to say show up early. Take something to entertain yourself for a while after you get through security and are waiting. Last time I flew I got there with a couple hours+ to spare. Sailed right through, sat with laptop watching some shows. One thing that is all too common at airports is people who did not come prepared, or with enough time, who then get angry when it looks like they are going to miss a flight. Getting angry and showing it is the best way to make sure you will miss your flight.

Thanks Alex. I actually decided to call Alaska today and confirm what I already suspected but I will pass it along anyhow. When I fly for work I like to use the curbside check-in and head from there directly to the security line. In this case however since I will have my pistol in my checked bag the Alaska Agent said that I will need to check in at the ticket counter and sign my "Declaration" that I have complied with all of the required rules. I'm not quite clear and should have asked what happens after I check my bag with Alaska?

According to the Alaska website....

"There is no limit to the number or type of firearms (rifles/shotguns/pistols) per case. Different firearm types may be in the same case as long as each type is properly packed."

I assume this would also mean that in addition to my Pistol and Factory Box of Ammo that I can also put in a couple of spare magazines?

According to the Alaska website....

"There is no limit to the number or type of firearms (rifles/shotguns/pistols) per case. Different firearm types may be in the same case as long as each type is properly packed."

I assume this would also mean that in addition to my Pistol and Factory Box of Ammo that I can also put in a couple of spare magazines?

Mags don't matter to the law. You can send it in the mail. Only thing that is a "sticking point" is guns and ammo. Mainly guns. Law was set up to be simple. It's people who make it hard. Just like going to FedEx or UPS and saying you want to ship a handgun.
Main thing is give yourself some time. Should breeze through. Take a tablet or Chromebook or such with something to watch or listen too and you can relax. Far better than the people you see at every airport who do not give themselves enough time then get upset when it comes to crunch time.

Mags don't matter to the law. You can send it in the mail. Only thing that is a "sticking point" is guns and ammo. Mainly guns. Law was set up to be simple. It's people who make it hard. Just like going to FedEx or UPS and saying you want to ship a handgun.
Main thing is give yourself some time. Should breeze through. Take a tablet or Chromebook or such with something to watch or listen too and you can relax. Far better than the people you see at every airport who do not give themselves enough time then get upset when it comes to crunch time.

Lol......30 years ago I was everyone's favorite passenger that they used to hold the door for. I'm not "that guy" anymore. These days it seems like the earlier I am the shorter the lines are.....I get it. Besides I'm flying with "The Boss"..............

TSA1.jpg TSA2.jpg
Will this work? Anyone see any issues here? Thanks.........

View attachment 387989 View attachment 387990
Will this work? Anyone see any issues here? Thanks.........

Nice case and the correct locks, TSA locks. I "think" they want the ammo separate from the gun though. Check on the site it has the info. Last coupe times I flew I did not check guns through but seems like that was what it said in all the rules. Make sure before you show up. Back when I was still checking a gun through I also took the slide off auto's. I had heard of TSA guys wanting to check the gun themselves and did not trust them doing this with mine. So I put them in a case with the slide off the frame.

TSA Website on 8/31/2017, The 3rd "Bullet Point" ;) describes the ammo transport

Ammunition
  • Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
  • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
  • Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm.

Here is Alaskas take on it, also 8/31/2017

Ammunition
On Alaska Airlines flights 001-999 and flights 2000-2999, up to 50 lbs.(domestic) and 11 lbs. (international - where permitted) may be checked. Customers checking in or connecting to Alaska Airlines flights 3300-3499 are limited to 11 lbs. of ammunition. Ammunition must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal). The projectile must be no larger than 11/16" in diameter, the size of a dime. Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm. Spent ammunition shells will be accepted in checked baggage provided they meet the same acceptance procedures as live ammunition (e.g. packed in a crush-proof case)

Here is Alaskas take on it, also 8/31/2017

Ammunition
On Alaska Airlines flights 001-999 and flights 2000-2999, up to 50 lbs.(domestic) and 11 lbs. (international - where permitted) may be checked. Customers checking in or connecting to Alaska Airlines flights 3300-3499 are limited to 11 lbs. of ammunition. Ammunition must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal). The projectile must be no larger than 11/16" in diameter, the size of a dime. Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm. Spent ammunition shells will be accepted in checked baggage provided they meet the same acceptance procedures as live ammunition (e.g. packed in a crush-proof case)

Great looks like you are set to go then. Just show up a little early with something to do to kill time once you get checked in. Then enjoy the trip!

Along this line a humorous story from a few years back. Guy at work flew to Phoenix. As carry on he used a bag he also uses as a range bag. Flew out of SEA-TAC all fine. Way back at Phoenix they call him into a separate room. Several TSA and a Cop. Ask if this is his bag, then show him loaded mag that was in it. He knew what it was, said it was in the bottom and he did not see it when he packed. He told them it had to be in there when he flew out of SEA-TAC. They said they didn't want to hear that and did at least smile. Gave him a warning and offered to let him give the mag to someone if they could come and get it before he left. He said the rest of the time he was there until he got on the plane several TSA Blue shirts seemed to be suddenly hanging around him.:)

Sorry to add information that may not agree with what you've previously been told, but if those are TSA locks they are likely no go. As I understand it, you should have non-TSA and non-combination locks. You will take the bag from the ticket counter to the special TSA inspection area and show them the contents before locking, then you toss in the declaration form and lock it up. Only you will maintain a key and that is the important part here...they don't want anyone (including TSA agents) to have access to the contents after it has passed inspection. This is the way I've been instructed and I spend a lot of time in airports, so you may want to verify.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top