JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my job recently took me to Texas for a week and since I have a Utah CCW I started researching how to legally fly with a handgun. Surprisingly it was super easy. I went to BiMart and purchased a locking hard sided case and a small ammo box. Placed the gun without a magazine in the case, magazine beside the gun and the ammo box beside those. When I checked into Alaska they had me sign the duplicate form attesting I followed their rules, no one asked to inspect it and the TSA didn't hold me at gun point while my bags were searched by dogs.

Flying home from Houston was a little more complicated. Alaska grilled me on my locking case and reviewed each rule with me then the TSA pulled me aside and while my bag was being x-rayed. A very nice TSA person came out from a side door and said everything looked great.

As long as my next destination is CCW friendly I will from now on always fly with a handgun.

If you have any questions feel free to ask away.....

Nice to hear. There have been a number of positive stories on this site about air travel with guns. I plan to go to Michigan next year to compete in the State games of America (the cheezy downscale olympics) with a couple of pistols and a rifle. Nice to hear I won't have big hassles.

I took my Utah class a while back. I think it was around four hours, the cost is pretty inexpensive and it's good for several years. It's nice now you can renew online.

As long as my next destination is CCW friendly I will from now on always fly with a handgun.

Even if its not you're usually good to go. I fly in and out of Illinois with my ccw all the time. Non residents are not required to have a FOID card and I obviously can't carry but provided my gun is cased its fine in my hotel room or driving across the state in my rental. Never had an issue.

Never had an issue at a ticket counter either but just in case I carry a packet of each airlines rules, federal laws, and state laws in case one of the ticket agents gets a little uppity. Most don't care and gun declarations are a regular occurance.

Flying with a pistol is so easy theres really no reason not to. I'm typing this from a hotel out of state and getting ready to fly Wednesday myself. Hopefully I didn't jinx myself. This is my travel piece. d3bc830ecb.jpg

When there is a problem with this it's not the rules, it's the moron who thinks they know the rules. The system was set up to work. The problems pop up when some anti gun / ignorant person starts in. It normally goes fine. I still warn people who are going to do it to show up plenty early. All it takes is one idiot to screw around and make you miss a flight.

One other thing to consider and make sure you avoid is using most of the standard pistol cases you got when you bought the firearm.
Yes they can be locked but there really need to be more than one locking point. I actually watched some poor guy get raked over the coals one evening at Seatac. He had a S&W semi atou in its factory case. It was locked and he submitted it correctly. Problem was the TSA agent could crack the other corner corner from the lock and potentially get access. The case must be locked tightly enough so you can't possibly get into and get access to the firearm.

I add this so someone else does run into the same issue.

One other thing to consider and make sure you avoid is using most of the standard pistol cases you got when you bought the firearm.
Yes they can be locked but there really need to be more than one locking point. I actually watched some poor guy get raked over the coals one evening at Seatac. He had a S&W semi atou in its factory case. It was locked and he submitted it correctly. Problem was the TSA agent could crack the other corner corner from the lock and potentially get access. The case must be locked tightly enough so you can't possibly get into and get access to the firearm.

I add this so someone else does run into the same issue.
Pelican Case FTW.

SeaTac is hit or miss and you're right its usually some young antigun TSA agent that makes it difficult. which was the case once for me. but oh well

It's why I always warn anyone who is asking, get there early. The rules were set up to make it easy. It is supposed to be easy. It normally is easy. The problem is now and then you are the lucky guy to get the moron. If missing the flight is no big deal then nothing to worry about. If you need to make connections or the next flight is not easy don't cut it close. I get there several hours early. Always get right through. Then once on the other side of the security checks I have a laptop and some stuff to keep myself entertained. It's worth it to me to be able to relax and not have to be standing there watching the clock and wondering if I'm going to make it.

I have flown several times with Delta and Alaska out of PDX to Seattle, Salt Lake City, Sacramento, Dallas, and Miami. I always bring my pistols along for the ride. Pelican cases are the only way to go. I have never had any issues.

DO NOT use TSA approved locks on your firearms case! As stated from the TSA website "Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock"
Transporting Firearms and Ammunition

When you check your bags, ask for a "firearms declaration form". It's a small card stating that your firearm is unloaded. Simply sign and date it, unlock and open your firearms case, place that card anywhere inside, and then close and re-lock the case. NO ONE, I repeat NO ONE, will need to look inside the case or inspect your firearm. The baggage agent will tag all of your luggage and give you claim receipts.

At this point, you will take your firearms case directly to TSA/oversized luggage inspection. It's adjacent to the ticket counter. They will run it through X-ray and swab the exterior of the case. It takes less than 1 minute. Once they give you the all clear, you're free to catch that flight. They will handle your firearms case and make sure it gets on your flight.

I always check my Pelican case as a 2nd piece of luggage instead of placing it inside of my main suitcase. That way, the firearms case will have its own baggage tag and receipt, and it's much easier to track and file a claim if something comes up missing.

The only thing I don't like is that once you reach your destination, your checked firearms case comes out on the carrousel with everyone else's baggage. Kind of weird in my opinion.

Ammo, magazines, and pistols can all be inside the same lockable case. I carry ammo in its factory 50rd box, 5 unloaded magazines, and 2 Glocks (G19 & G43) in my Pelican 1500.

IMG_0101.JPG

Last Edited:
Keltek,
Are you using the Pelican case as the exterior box/case/bag/container as well with the card inside with the firearm? Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly and just wanted to make sure. Some airlines may require the card to be on the outside of the case...which would obviously be bad since everyone would know it is a gun case. I chain mine to the inside of an unassuming suitcase and Southwest tapes the card to the case inside.

Your case layout is awesome, very clean!

I have flown several times with Delta and Alaska out of PDX to Seattle, Salt Lake City, Sacramento, Dallas, and Miami. I always bring my pistols along for the ride. Pelican cases are the only way to go. I have never had any issues.

DO NOT use TSA approved locks on your firearms case! As stated from the TSA website "Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock"
Transporting Firearms and Ammunition

When you check your bags, ask for a "firearms declaration form". It's a small card stating that your firearm is unloaded. Simply sign and date it, unlock and open your firearms case, place that card anywhere inside, and then close and re-lock the case. NO ONE, I repeat NO ONE, will need to look inside the case or inspect your firearm. The baggage agent will tag all of your luggage and give you claim receipts.

At this point, you will take your firearms case directly to TSA/oversized luggage inspection. It's adjacent to the ticket counter. They will run it through X-ray and swab the exterior of the case. It takes less than 1 minute. Once they give you the all clear, you're free to catch that flight. They will handle your firearms case and make sure it gets on your flight.

I always check my Pelican case as a 2nd piece of luggage instead of placing it inside of my main suitcase. That way, the firearms case will have its own baggage tag and receipt, and it's much easier to track and file a claim if something comes up missing.

The only thing I don't like is that once you reach your destination, your checked firearms case comes out on the carrousel with everyone else's baggage. Kind of weird in my opinion.

Ammo, magazines, and pistols can all be inside the same lockable case. I carry ammo in its factory 50rd box, 5 unloaded magazines, and 2 Glocks (G19 & G43) in my Pelican 1500.

View attachment 328167

No chance, I'd rather have it concealed in my bag. ;)

Keltek,
Are you using the Pelican case as the exterior box/case/bag/container as well with the card inside with the firearm? Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly and just wanted to make sure. Some airlines may require the card to be on the outside of the case...which would obviously be bad since everyone would know it is a gun case. I chain mine to the inside of an unassuming suitcase and Southwest tapes the card to the case inside.

Your case layout is awesome, very clean!

No the small orange tag is placed inside the case right at the ticket counter when checking all of your luggage. The Pelican or firearms case is not marked on the outside as a firearm, and its also suggested not to put firearm fanboy stickers on your case, avoid as much attention to your firearms case as possible.

No chance, I'd rather have it concealed in my bag. ;)

If you place a firearms case inside your suitcase, which has TSA approved locks or no locks at all, that leaves your firearms case available to anyone shady or dishonest, working as baggage handlers to open your suitcase and get to your firearm. If the firearms case comes up missing from inside your suitcase at your final destination, you have no way of proving what was taken from inside your suitcase since the firearms case didn't have its own baggage tag and claims receipt.

If you check your firearms case as a separate piece of luggage, it has its own baggage tag and also a separate claims receipt. Either way its up to you, I have never had an issue with checking my Pelican 1500 case (18.5 x 14.06 x 6.93") as a separate piece of luggage.

Delta and Alaska also allow you to track luggage through their mobile app. As soon as you check your luggage, it shows each scan time, date, and location for each piece of luggage, allowing you to make sure everything made it on the plane and also on each connecting flight.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top