Flashlights?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by fredridge, Nov 1, 2018.

1. fredridge

fredridge
    Vancouver

Wasn't sure where to put this, so I thought prepper friends would know best.

a couple of flahslight questions

1. My wife wants a new flashlight for her car.

Current one is not bright enough. Older LED 3 "C" cell, probably 250 lumens

Looking for something brighter, maybe a couple different modes. Can handle being store for a long time and possibly used as a club if needed, but that is low in priority.

If possible, something that ran "AA" or "AAA" as I store more of those - or some kind of rechargeable.

Can something quality be had for less than $50

2. What do you use as your "have everywhere" flashlights. I was buying those really cheap amazon ones that take "AA", but would like something better and brighter. One the good side I never cared if I lost those.

If possible, Amazon links for your recommendation would be great.

thanks

2. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro
    Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

Lol. I have those AA ones off Amazon everywhere.

Not in the car though. I put crank up flashlights in the vehicles as they don’t get checked for batteries ever. Though if your better at checking batteries, I’d say go for the 10-12 Amazon flashlights that take a 18650.

Pops1911 likes this.
  3. Kruel J

Kruel J
    Forest Grove
    Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Lifetime Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

I don't do cheap lights. I run Surefire, Streamlight and Fenix only. But Surefire and Fenix have some offerings in that $50 range. Worth a look.

4. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I agree. I keep a small fenix in my leatherman wave side pocket. Fits like it was made to go there. Another brand I like is nite core. The last one is a 1000 lumen, and came with battery and charger. It also has an adapter so you can charge in the car. Cost $56.00

BlindedByScience likes this.
  5. fredridge

fredridge
    Vancouver

I have some crank flashlights in the emergency bags in the trunk, but mostly looking for a more regular use light next to seat. Usually gets pulled out to look for stuff in the car at night, but other stuff too.

She used it for trick or treating and decided it wasn't bright enough

Those little amazom ones have been great, not uncommon to have 2-3 end up in same place cuz I can just grab and leave.

I could probably do more, but probably not more than $100. Any models you recommend?

6. fredridge

fredridge
    Vancouver

cool, looking that up

bsa1917hunter likes this.
  7. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro

8. fredridge

fredridge
    Vancouver

oh and another issue. I do have some cheap amazon 18650 lights (not sure brand), but they seem to get hot after a bit. Would prefer something that keeps cool, assuming battery and light would last longer

9. nammac

nammac
    I-5 Corridor - West of Portland
    Constitutionalist Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

I run a Fenix LD-41, it’s 960 lumens and runs on “AA”s... Four of ‘em... not the smallest flashlight, but sure as heck serviceable....

10. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Check Ebay. When I was thinking about doing armed security, the instructors all had them.

fredridge likes this.
  11. fredridge

fredridge
    Vancouver

size isn't an issue, its for sitting in map pocket. Current one is size of 3 cell maglite and she just wants brighter. Looks like might be a good choice

nammac likes this.
  12. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro

fredridge likes this.
  13. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro

Being a former RC nut. I recommend getting good batteries as well.

Tenergy is my go to for 18650s.

Heyjoe, fredridge and KKG like this.
  14. Taco_lean

Taco_lean
    SW WA
    Well-Known Member 2018 Volunteer

I like armytek. I have used the major brands, and some in the same price point/quality as armytek, and they are still the most durable by far in that price range, surpassed by surefire only IMO. I mounted their Viking to my AR for 500 rds and it was fine.

flashlight • r/flashlight

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    fredridge likes this.
  15. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver
    Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

I have a flashlight in my bag but I use my headlamp that runs on a couple AAA batteries 95% of the time. Has adjustable brightness and was under $40.

I keep a led mini mag led that runs on 2 AAA batteries and is plenty bright for everything I've ever used it for and was $20.

3 D mag light for my house flashlight.

Silver Hand and fredridge like this.
  16. Pops1911

Pops1911
    Kent

Like others I have purchased more than a few from Amazon. Always did what I need them to do. Brighter does not always equal more money.

17. ConcernedCitizen

ConcernedCitizen
    Tigard/Tualatin
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2018 Volunteer

teflon97239 and fredridge like this.
  18. ConcernedCitizen

ConcernedCitizen
    Tigard/Tualatin
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2018 Volunteer

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    fredridge likes this.
  19. wp4

wp4
    Lakeview

sample1.jpeg

Transport

Cigarette lighter rechargeable, lives in there.

Pops1911, teflon97239 and fredridge like this.
  20. Hawaiian

Hawaiian
    Tigard Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

For the car, a headlamp is best. Leaves both hands free to do stuff. You can also hold it in your hand if you just need to check something quick. Have you ever had to hold the light in your mouth because you needed both hands? Don't cheap out, check the run times on the lights you are looking at. Plenty out there with AA or AAA. I run the lithium batteries as they don't leak and last longer.