JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I'm leaning towards getting a couple Fenix LD41's that Reno911 mentioned.

I like that they are AA and I have some eneloop rechargeable as well as buy in bulk.

I also like that Streamlight concernedcitizen listed since it also runs on single AA

I'll look into headlamps.

I pulled my car flashlight out tonight, the one like hers and it was dead too, so time to buy a couple sets.

Way too many choices.

I carry a "Tactical" pen. Mostly because it has a flashlight on it as well as the pen.

For something small and bright, this is my favorite:
https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-...ght+protac&dpPl=1&dpID=41SwJgPPo6L&ref=plSrch

Can use a single AA, or a single CR123.

For EDC, I use this:
https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-..._FMwebp_QL65&keywords=streamlight+microstream

I've always found that the flashlight you carry with you is better than the one you have stored someplace. ;)

You'd really be surprised how often you use a flashlight when you always have one available.

I have two of the first one you linked. Good lights!!

I have several SureFires, Zebralights, and other decent brands, but for a bang around the house (or car) light, this is a really good, economical one. It was even recommended by several folks on Candlepowerforums (the forum for flashlight enthusiasts). I'd recommend lithium batteries instead of the alkaleaks they provide in the package, though, especially for a light that will likely go a while between uses.

Rayovac Workhorse Pro 2AA LED Virtually Indestructible Flashlight-DIY2AA-BC - The Home Depot

Costco sells a pretty amazing (IMO) 1000 lumen flashlight. It runs on "C" batteries. Kind of medium sized. This is not the one they sell in the 3 pack. Check the lumen amount. I want to say it was $20, maybe $30. They are our nightstand flashlights, but I was thinking about picking some up for the cars and ditching the ol' MagLights.

BTW, I've developed a good practice of changing all of the batteries in all of the flashiights and Mr. Beam lights around the house every New Years, whether they need it or not. Batteries are cheap.

Lumen ratings, as stated on the package, can be pretty subjective. Sort of like stereo wattage and horsepower back in the day before there was any regulation.

Some guy in a factory overseas guessing that this one's twice as bright as the "600" he used to manufacture might feel comfy putting "1200" in bold red on the new improved package. Why not (or how do you say Kentucky windage in Taiwanese)? I don't picture Ralph Nader, Consumers Union or BBB swooping in there to debate the number anytime soon. From my perspective, Amazon always has a great return policy if it disappoints.

Also depends on what you want a light for. While they can tack-weld retinas to optic nerves, few of these new super-efficient shirt-pocket lights will put a convincing emergency divot in a threatening meth-head's scab-encrusted dome like a good old fashioned 4-5 cell Maglite.

Last Edited:
Do rechargeable batteries leak like their alkaline counterparts? I love the Costco multipacks and keep buying more to replace every time they start leaking, they leak inside in a relatively short amount of time (using Duracell and Energizer batteries). I'm watching this thread closely as I'm in the market for a more permanent solution.

Do rechargeable batteries leak like their alkaline counterparts? I love the Costco multipacks and keep buying more to replace every time they start leaking, they leak inside in a relatively short amount of time (using Duracell and Energizer batteries). I'm watching this thread closely as I'm in the market for a more permanent solution.

I have the Kirkland batteries both AAA and AA start leaking when the battery was not even dead. I do not see this behavior typically in Duracell batteries have long since died. But I have two in my super bright flashing tail on my bicycle and they were dead but still not leaking. Not sure why some Duracell batteries leak while others do not leak at all.

No. They don't leak. But they do have their own set of issues.

Lithium polymer batteries need a charge. They usually do have low self drain which is good, and low memory issues. However once they have been discharged past a certain point they can expand and get volatile, or even rupture and explode. Lithium is a highly combustible metal. Most have a tiny circuit board that disables themselves from discharging past a certain voltage point. This allows them to essentially sit at a safe voltage for an extended period of time without anything bad happening. Lipos tend to have a good cycle life too. Anywhere from 100s to thousands of charge cycles. Think of your phones life cycles.

Nimh and Nicd have memory issues. IE once left discharged for a long time they tend to hold less and less charge each cycle. They also have less of a life span. Usually only a few hundred cycles before they won't hold much of s charge.

There is one oddball out there but fairly hard to get for traditional flashlight style batteries. Life (lithium iron phosphate) and they are kind of the best of both worlds. Great life, no volatility when over discharged, no memory issues.

For the car, a headlamp is best. Leaves both hands free to do stuff. You can also hold it in your hand if you just need to check something quick. Have you ever had to hold the light in your mouth because you needed both hands? Don't cheap out, check the run times on the lights you are looking at. Plenty out there with AA or AAA. I run the lithium batteries as they don't leak and last longer.
+1, except if you get pulled over.

For a handheld inexpensive light, the Mag Lite XL50 is a great little light. 1 inch tube, takes AAA batts, comes in a pack with a removable pocket clip, anti roll ring, and colored lenses. Tail cap switch, high beam, low beam, and strobe settings. $30ish bucks. Can get in most stores that sell flashlights. I'm on my 2nd in roughly 7 years, but only because my original got lost.

For those of you that are fans of the 18650 battery, just be sure you buy a reputable brand like Panasonic and from a reputable seller (i.e. NOT Amazon). Stay away from cheap no-name brands.

These batteries store a lot of energy and poor quality Li-Ion batteries can explode violently. They are a big favorite of vapers and because they go through a lot of batteries, they unwisely buy cheap ones and there have been many documented explosions with at least one fatality.

This May Be a First: Exploding Vape Pen Kills a Florida Man

Any flashlight left in your car is subject to extreme temperatures that can kill alkaline batteries and create a fire hazard with some lithium batteries. Take your flashlight in the house when you are not using the car during the summer and winter. I know that it is a pain, but better than grabbing a dead flashlight. Some of the more expensive flashlights may be more immune to temperature extremes, so choose carefully.

Picked up a rayovac at Costco couple of years ago. 1300 lumen, 4 c cells. Enough light for my job and the batteries last months. 3 function button high/low/flash. Was 20 bucks with batteries.
I also have a five d cell mag light that I modified to accept 6 c cells and replaced the bulb with a 3watt led. Not much light but ok indoors, the big plus is battery life, accidentally left it on and put it in my trunk, still lit after five days. I change the batteries annually.
Plus I have a heck of a club if I need it, call it my Rodney king special.

Any flashlight left in your car is subject to extreme temperatures that can kill alkaline batteries and create a fire hazard with some lithium batteries. Take your flashlight in the house when you are not using the car during the summer and winter. I know that it is a pain, but better than grabbing a dead flashlight. Some of the more expensive flashlights may be more immune to temperature extremes, so choose carefully.

What about carbon batteries? I have a few 6v LED lantern batteries in my vehicles and they use 6V carbon(non alkaline) batteries. They still work and replaced the 6v batteries last year only.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top