JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lumen ratings, as stated on the package, can be pretty subjective. Sort of like stereo wattage and horsepower back in the day before there was any regulation.

Some guy in a factory overseas guessing that this one's twice as bright as the "600" he used to manufacture might feel comfy putting "1200" in bold red on the new improved package. Why not (or how do you say Kentucky windage in Taiwanese)? I don't picture Ralph Nader, Consumers Union or BBB swooping in there to debate the number anytime soon. From my perspective, Amazon always has a great return policy if it disappoints.

Also depends on what you want a light for. While they can tack-weld retinas to optic nerves, few of these new super-efficient shirt-pocket lights will put a convincing emergency divot in a threatening meth-head's scab-encrusted dome like a good old fashioned 4-5 cell Maglite.

Exactly. There is so much more to a good light than advertised lumens, stuff like clarity and quality of beam lacking of shadows, range of throw, degree and consistency of spill, toughness of body and circuitry. I've have Surefires I've dropped on pavement and concrete multiple times and the keep on ticking, I've had lessor lights crap the bed after bouncing of the garage floor once.

Exactly. There is so much more to a good light than advertised lumens, stuff like clarity and quality of beam lacking of shadows, range of throw, degree and consistency of spill, toughness of body and circuitry. I've have Surefires I've dropped on pavement and concrete multiple times and the keep on ticking, I've had lessor lights crap the bed after bouncing of the garage floor once.

Again, another reason why going cheap with lights isn't a good idea. Just like staking your life on a "cheap gun". It's not worth the risk. And anyone that thinks a light can't be part of saving your life if the SHTF, well.....I can't help you there.

I've had tons of flashlights in the last 7 decades with my biggest peeve beyond light output is the switch.
Old flashlight switches tended to corrode over time and usually not removable for service, but the new lights have come up with an insidious new irritation.
Maybe my patients have worn thin over the years but regardless of how bright it is, having to push the dang switch five times cycling through functions I'll never use just to turn it off!!! is ridicules at best, so it stays in the drawer seeking out less bright, but more user friendly substitutes even if I have to shake them sometimes to get them on.

If I were you, I would look for a single on off function switch, with a screw field of view adjustment sort of helper.
for 20 bucks, @ the gun show I bought a very bright light with a stun gun electrodes on the rim of the lens. (separate switches for the functions) OK, the stun gun part may be a joke but the snapping and flashes will make some think twice. (and you can start a fire with it if you had to)
It recharges with a USB adapter right in my truck. I use it quite often as I have no light in the back of the truck and only charge it about once a year, it always works and snaps but I charge it again when I'm driving around just because I think I should.
Looks something like this:
upload_2018-11-2_11-1-35.png Sometimes cheap will surprise you.

The best semi-cheap flashlight that has not failed me yet is a Lux-Pro LP600. I bought several from BiMart for around $15. The on/off button retains the last setting that you had it on and you don't have to toggle through 3 modes to turn it off. I have two at home and bought one for my sister, who raves about it. She didn't realize how far flashlight had come and uses it at night to feed her horses.

I will eventually buy some high grade lights for my shotgun and AR, just haven't found any that aren't outrageously priced for what you get, or cheapos.

I have a flashlight fetish living in the country and have up 10,000,000 candlepower. Handheld 500 lumen spotlights are used the most and keep one on my porch at all times

We have two flashlights in our cars. Always good to have two in case the first one fails.

These Coleman flashlights are bright and have the battery lock. They are light weight and seem durable. So far very happy with them
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Divide-Battery-Flashlight-Lumens/dp/B01B7C4C1W?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2

The other flashlight all our cars have is a solar charged one. They are not as bright but these lights also have a charging port so you can charge your phone. They are water proof and hold their charge. We have some over 3 years old and they still perform.

https://www.amazon.com/Hybridlight-..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=YNNDY3TEQY5NGQT9VQN5

Costco sells a pretty amazing (IMO) 1000 lumen flashlight. It runs on "C" batteries. Kind of medium sized. This is not the one they sell in the 3 pack. Check the lumen amount. I want to say it was $20, maybe $30. They are our nightstand flashlights, but I was thinking about picking some up for the cars and ditching the ol' MagLights.
Yeah that is the Duracell 1000 lumen flashlight. It takes four "C" cells. It puts out an amazing amount of light! I liked mine so much that I bought a second one for the tool kit in the boat...then sold the boat. :) The predecessor to that one was the 700 lumen model that uses three "C" cells - I have a couple of those too. One sits in the truck all the time and it never seems to have a problem. Both of those are single-LED flashlights. Now I see that Duracell has a four-LED 1500 lumen flashlight. Maybe it's time to drag out the credit card again.

Last Edited:
One more for fenix lights. I own 2 pd35's and use 18650 batteries exclusively. Very bright and while it may not be much of a club, it makes a perfect fistpack.

I think a few quality brands are Fenix, EagleTac, Nitecore, Olight, Streamlight, and Surefire. A lot of good products, but Surefire, for build quality, reliability unbeatable factory warranty is the best...
If I had to count on one, my experience is nothing better.

Yeah that is the Duracell 1000 lumen flashlight. It takes four "C" cells. It puts out an amazing amount of light! I liked mine so much that I bought a second one for the tool kit in the boat...then sold the boat. :) The predecessor to that one was the 700 lumen model that uses three "C" cells - I have a couple of those too. One sits in the truck all the time and it never seems to have a problem. Both of those are single-LED flashlights. Now I see that Duracell has a four-LED 1500 lumen flashlight. Maybe it's time to drag out the credit card again.
I have 3 or 4 of those Costco lights.
Like you I bought one then went back a got a few more .

I only see a couple of entries on the batteries. ie Flashlights?

I like a flashlight that takes a common size - AA or AAA -
although there are sizes which are not-uncommon - just not my preference.

To keep the flashlights in a non-edc role, what batteries are the best options?
(with EDC, I check mine regularly...)

I found this on one reference site:
Why rechargeable batteries are better for flashlights
A flashlight may go months between use, so it's important to understand the risk of using alkaline batteries. Wise put it bluntly, "Don't ever use alkaline AA or AAA cells in high power devices like flashlights. It's almost a guarantee that they'll leak and destroy your investment." Instead, he recommends using "a good set of Ni-MH rechargeable cells. Preferably pre-charged ones like Eneloops. If the light will sit in a drawer forever between emergency uses, splurge on lithium cells. They're good for 10+ years and won't leak." For our rechargeable battery recommendation, see our guide to the best rechargeable AA batteries.

Olight is by far my favorite go to flashlight company. Super high quality at half the price of some of the other big names.

Here is a brand new redesign of one of their best EDC flashlights that will be introduced this Friday, November 9th. They are offering this light at a 30% discount this Friday only as part of the introduction. I will be picking up two of these.

Sale price will be $48.99 then regular price of $69.99

Here is the link:

Olight LED Flashlights - Online Shop | OlightStore.com

Hope this helps!

I only see a couple of entries on the batteries. ie Flashlights?

I like a flashlight that takes a common size - AA or AAA -
although there are sizes which are not-uncommon - just not my preference.

To keep the flashlights in a non-edc role, what batteries are the best options?
(with EDC, I check mine regularly...)

I found this on one reference site:
Why rechargeable batteries are better for flashlights
A flashlight may go months between use, so it's important to understand the risk of using alkaline batteries. Wise put it bluntly, "Don't ever use alkaline AA or AAA cells in high power devices like flashlights. It's almost a guarantee that they'll leak and destroy your investment." Instead, he recommends using "a good set of Ni-MH rechargeable cells. Preferably pre-charged ones like Eneloops. If the light will sit in a drawer forever between emergency uses, splurge on lithium cells. They're good for 10+ years and won't leak." For our rechargeable battery recommendation, see our guide to the best rechargeable AA batteries.
True I bought a flashlight once it had some odd battery in it.
Lol it worked but I couldn't replace the battery.
Unless I got it on eBay from China .
bubbleguming eBay

They always laugh at me every year when I give out flashlight for Christmas gifts.
Lol until next year when they say they used it .
When the power went out or they needed it .
Then they say .I AM GLAD YOU GAVE ME THAT LIGHT

People don't realize how important a flashlight is until they need one.

I buy them buy the dozen if I find one I like and works I buy as much as I can afford .
And give them as gifts .

Another thing that nobody thinks about is batteries.
Next time you're in line at Walmart or Safeway.
Or wherever you shop .
Just grab a pack of batteries .
And if you do that every other time you go to the store .
Before you know it you'll have a stock of batteries .
Just like if you buy a canned food soup or something else and extra every time you will have a emergency supply of food.and throw in a three dollars for a case of bottle water.
And before you know it your a prepper .
With a supply for when the SHTF.
I love the 4 for 5 bucks cans of soup .
I put three in the kitchen and one in the closet.

Last Edited:
But then again every one has a flashlight now lol.and till there battery is dead on there phone.Lol
Because they couldn't bring a charging cable with them .
Because it didn't fit in there SKINY JEANS. group-young-beautiful-multiethnic-man-450w-410602798.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top