JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, flashlights have gotten insanely bright and interesting in just a few short years. If you're old, like me:), time to brush up on this insanity. There's a whole bunch of crazies over on BudgetLightForum (BLF) who pursue lumens like we (us normal people) pursue calibers and new weapons.

Occasionally we bump into our own interests crossing paths, such as getting a great light for a handgun or rifle, say a Maxtoch designed to reach out farther than you can sight a rifle (hog hunting), or as preppers looking for a lightweight insane amount of light for a low cost (Fenix headlamp, Emissar D4 or Nitecore MH20GT) that doesn't need recharging except after lengthy use (anything with a 18650 battery, same battery that powers the Tesla S (but it uses a few more of course-). State of the art in flashlights has jump 3 levels in a short time period. It amazing and happily fantastic.

These guys buy, tinker, improve, and even design from scratch flashlights that outperform the worlds best from just a few years back and mostly they aren't that costly. I've got into 3 group buys with them. The BLF A6, the Q8 and the BLF GT( greater throw). and every one has been crazy amazing. These things darned near will spot the next desert island over if you are stuck on a raft in the middle of the south Pacific! If you think state of the art is a Maglight, it's time to check this site out: Home | BudgetLightForum.com or candle power forum. BLF is more just smart flashlight enthusiasts with minimal commercial interest (there are some regular super smart and sharp Chinese flashlight mfg guys who make great flashlights and fit in like OJ's glove to his hand and they are encouraged to stay of course.

1 caveat, BE CAREFUL! . The battery's have so much power, that they can literally blow up if you buy some cheap intimation crap or take a good one and damage it, so care must be take to approach this slowly, buy quality chargers and cells and try to gain knowledge from others so you don't blow 4 of your teeth out like the guy vaping in Boise (18650 battery in the vape pen blew up).

Anyone have any flashlight story's to share?

This is my buddies fetish...his freakin flashlights and headlamps are out of control. Makes me feel inadequate whenever we camp. He even got these military remote lights in case anyone or anything tries creepin into camp.....Theyre freakin BRIGHT. Theyll blind you if you actully make it into camp. I dont get it but it definitely makes me feel better when were out there. Then he starts wiring bubblegum up.....smh....

My wife calls me a flashlight nerd. I have LOTS of quality lights, mostly from Streamlight, Surefire and Fenix. The brightest one is 2000 lumens.

Well.... I never would have guessed to have been talking with so many flashlight nerds and not even know.

I bet I have 40 flash lights of various types, I carry one in my pocket and I would have to count how many in my truck but I would guess its someplace between 8 and a dozen.... Course three of them are in or on my fire bunker gear, two on my wildland gear and the rest just in the truck someplace...

Well.... I never would have guessed to have been talking with so many flashlight nerds and not even know.

I bet I have 40 flash lights of various types, I carry one in my pocket and I would have to count how many in my truck but I would guess its someplace between 8 and a dozen.... Course three of them are in or on my fire bunker gear, two on my wildland gear and the rest just in the truck someplace...

I've got lights all over my house and vehicles. Even a few random crummy lights that say NRA on them. :)

I bought my wife a purple Streamlight Strion HL last year for her birthday! :p

What about head lamps, I have a few of them too :p
i picked up a dozen of these in the checkout aisle at Walmart. $1 each. Perfect to scatter amongst the vehicles. If i lose them or they cr@p out, it's just a buck.

IMG_20171231_152739.jpg IMG_20171231_152731.jpg

Every cheap-o light I've bought has failed and ended up in the can. I need to know that when I need them, they will work without fail.

Every cheap-o light I've bought has failed and ended up in the can. I need to know that when I need them, they will work without fail.

Yeah, I bought a few of those at Harbor Freight and put them in Explorer and pickup. Grabbed one after 4 months and of course non functional. Tossed them all. I have a bunch of the Costco small hand lights with AAA batteries. Everywhere. Vehicles, coat pockets. I have a favorite rechargeable that is in my pocket everyday. 3 settings, lights, SOS, and strobe.

Yeah, I bought a few of those at Harbor Freight and put them in Explorer and pickup. Grabbed one after 4 months and of course non functional. Tossed them all. I have a bunch of the Costco small hand lights with AAA batteries. Everywhere. Vehicles, coat pockets. I have a favorite rechargeable that is in my pocket everyday. 3 settings, lights, SOS, and strobe.

I think establishing a core group of quality lights and finding their purpose in your system is important. Then fill in the cracks with garbage if you see fit. But rely on the good ones and figure the rest are unreliable and disposable. If they work, enjoy the surprise and exploit it to your advantage.

Kinda like guns.

For a buck, I don't care. They're just quick, cheap, lights for map reading, looking at something under the hood, etc. It's not like I'm duct taping them to the rail on my AK.

For a buck, I don't care. They're just quick, cheap, lights for map reading, looking at something under the hood, etc. It's not like I'm duct taping them to the rail on my AK.

At my old work I had a chance to buy a bunch of cheap lights and figured I'd stash them around the house for GP.

They all failed so fast that I finally decided to give up and stick with quality versus quantity. YMMV.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top