JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for the link. I'm guessing that's the budget counterpart to Candle Power Forums. Those guys are seriously crazy for flashlights over there but very knowledgeable if you need help with a torch. I bought my first high quality light...probably 10 years ago...a Surefire M2...long before LCD's were even a thing. Still got that light but now it runs a Malkoff conversion in it. My EDC light is a 320 Lumen HDS. Love that thing. It will probably outlive me.

My occasionally used lights are a Solar Force (2x123 litjium battery) with a P60 drop-in (fits surefire lights), get's about 350 lumens. I have two maglites (3-D cell, 4-4 cell) with malkoff drop ins I got years ago, get about 300 lumens.

My go to lights are:
Fenix E01 - 1AAA (keychain)
Thrunite Archer 2xAA version 3
Nitecore EA41 4xAA

The Thrunite and Nitecore are using Eneloop Pro rechargeables, with a Maha C9000 charger. My key-chain light I use either a plain old alkaline or lithium aaa battery.

I decided on the Thrunite and Nitecore lights as they use readily available, alkaline, lithium, or rechargeable nihm AA batteries. Though the alkaline batteries won't last long and probably won't get you maximum output, but they will work in a pinch. My opinion is, these two lights provide good power, easy to use, low light to high output depending on need, affordable, use readily available batteries. I have stayed away from specialty batteries, even the 123 lithium I moved away from.

Good information here:
Selfbuilt's Flashlight Reviews

Last Edited:
I had an incident a few years back where I found myself trying to get through some slash piles after dark while elk hunting. It was pretty tough going - take a step and fall into a hole up to your waste. I was using cheap flashlights that did not lite up the area well. I learned and swore back then that I would have the proper equipment after dark. To me a flashlight less that 200 lumens is useless. I always have at least two lights and spare batteties. 80$ is not exspensive when you need a good light

I had an incident a few years back where I found myself trying to get through some slash piles after dark while elk hunting. It was pretty tough going - take a step and fall into a hole up to your waste. I was using cheap flashlights that did not lite up the area well. I learned and swore back then that I would have the proper equipment after dark. To me a flashlight less that 200 lumens is useless. I always have at least two lights and spare batteties. 80$ is not exspensive when you need a good light

Good post, JRuby ......... good post.

When my son was @9 I bought him a cheap flashlight. Little did I know the lesson it was going to bring me. One time we were heading out to GI Joes in Jantzen Beach and he wanted to bring it along. I was not supportive of it but let him. As we're getting out of the truck he wanted to bring it along but I made him leave it behind, telling him that they may have thought he's stolen it. He put if back in and no joke, we'd walked maybe 20-30 steps to the store when clunk: all the power went out in the store. We turned back to get his flashlight, him smiling and happy. They had some kind of emergency power as there was a very low level of light and the doors worked, but it was still dark inside. As we entered the dark store, we had the only operating flashlight.

It was a good lesson to me.

When my son was @9 I bought him a cheap flashlight. Little did I know the lesson it was going to bring me. One time we were heading out to GI Joes in Jantzen Beach and he wanted to bring it along. I was not supportive of it but let him. As we're getting out of the truck he wanted to bring it along but I made him leave it behind, telling him that they may have thought he's stolen it. He put if back in and no joke, we'd walked maybe 20-30 steps to the store when clunk: all the power went out in the store. We turned back to get his flashlight, him smiling and happy. They had some kind of emergency power as there was a very low level of light and the doors worked, but it was still dark inside. As we entered the dark store, we had the only operating flashlight.

It was a good lesson to me.

People will carry an umbrella when there's a 30% chance of rain. But there's a 100% chance it's going to get dark tonight and folks won't carry a good torch. Don't leave home without one! :)

I have one of these on my keychain. More than enough for everyday use.

3863301-2.jpg

I'd like to get some rechargeable batteries for this and all my other gear, but that is a whole other rabbit hole I'm not sure I'm ready to go down.

Lights come in several stratus (not counting weapon mounted)
You get the SureFire type - $400
You get a the ACE/ TruValue / WalMart / Harbor Freight - snuck in with a purchase
EDC - where it fits in your system (I use a pen sized Fenix in my shirt pocket)
Scatter - car, bathroom, shed, junque drawer in kitchen

This is an interesting article on the Sub $40 choices and why certain features are desirable and why so many lights have 3 batteries.

The Best Flashlight sub $40.
Key features they suggest -
1 - 2 AA batteries - not CR123 and not AAA
2 - separate switch for strobe
3 - really low - low setting (not to kill night vision)

Why we can't recommend a cheaper flashlight

AA
"Through our research it was clear that the two-AA setup has a better balance of power and run time than a single-AA or any of the AAA configurations you often find with lights on the lower end of the quality scale.1"

See also:
https://smile.amazon.com/LRI-FMWC-Freedom-Keychain-Micro-Light/dp/B000IXGBJI?th=1

ref:
"Chief among these sites is CandlePowerForums, but we also read through threads at BudgetLightForum, The Flashlight Forum, and <broken link removed>. These forums are filled with people who are really into flashlights, and it's not uncommon for them to own 20 or 30 (or more) flashlights."

Other Threads
Badass Flashlight...
Eagle Tac Flashlights
Best Small Quality Reliable Flashlight Under $40?
Best flashlight to keep in the car for emergencies?
One last Q: how much lumens do you recommend for an outdoors flashlight?
EDC Flashlight

Gun.deals - has a number of threads on flashlights

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked up a Fenix TK20R today. Really nice light and I love rechargeables. 1000 lumens in a nice compact light!

Oh yeah, and thread moved to Off Topic.

Yeah, I bought a few of those at Harbor Freight and put them in Explorer and pickup. Grabbed one after 4 months and of course non functional. Tossed them all. I have a bunch of the Costco small hand lights with AAA batteries. Everywhere. Vehicles, coat pockets. I have a favorite rechargeable that is in my pocket everyday. 3 settings, lights, SOS, and strobe.

I used to have those CostCo ones, the 200 lumens were great. Since then they are up to 350 lumens, but are now crap. The on-line reviews say crap. The ones I got drain the battery - so you can't be sure it will work. If I could still get those 200, I would.
just checked, new model out only 7 reviews
Costco Wholesale

At under $7 apiece, I'm not surprised. I spent $100 today on my Fenix, and was happy to put it in the rotation. I have well over $1500 in lights in my collection. I'm ok with that.

Probably twice that in lights I've either given to my dad, offered as a giveaway prize here or sold off for something else. As I said before, I don't cheap out on tools.

Sorry to revive an older thread but just last night I came to realize that I need a good light. I needed a flashlight and after finding several Costco ones that the battery had leaked and was dead I got a little po'd. Had to settle for my iPhone:mad:. I'm looking for a wall mounted unit I can leave plugged in full time without damage for occasional use. Also, if not too much to ask, under $100 would be a bonus.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top