JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This morning at 2am, my neighbor came over and asked if I knew how to change a flat tire on a car, (he sees me changing oil and maintaining my stuff). His 25 year old son got off work at the mall at 10pm to find his car with a flat tire, called AAA, and has been waiting in the parking lot for 4 hours for them to show up, they had a very busy night, and had no idea when they would make it. Now this guy is in his late 40s, and says he has never had to change a tire in his 30 some odd years of driving, that's what AAA is for. So I jumped in his car with him, and we drove over to his sons car, and I changed the tire for them, with their eyes glued to their phones when I thought they were watching and learning. :mad: Then when we were done, turns out duma$$ son was listening to his stereo for the whole 4 hours he was waiting, so the battery was dead. Guess who didn't have jumper cables, or even know how to jump a car? THESE GUYS!!! so we had to go all the way home to get my cables to get him going. On the way home, I told my neighbor that they really should learn basic skills like what we did tonight because what if you are on a mountain pass, or on your way to the coast and have no signal when you get a flat. He agreed with me and I said that I would show them this weekend. This morning he came to my door with Starbucks and doughnuts to say thank you, (as Rodriguez yard service was mowing his 10 x 10 foot front lawn) and told me that he and his son talked it over, and decided they didn't need me to show them anything, because that's what they pay AAA for. :confused:

You never know what skill will save you when the time comes so learn all that you can and practice. Be prepared. There are no guarantees in life so stack the deck in your favor. Being dumb is costly.

Before I let any of my kids loose on the street, I make sure they know how to do the basics, such as changing a flat, or pumping their own gas, so they don't have to rely on a stranger for rescue. I know that sounds dumb, but you would be amazed how many Oregonians don't know how to pump their own gas.

o_O gonna have to back off of that friendship/acquaintance-ship whatever you want to call it and let those people deal with their own problems. You can lead a horse to water........

Sums it up...

11695807-E931-4882-B06B-FFC83AFF2A6C.jpeg

It makes me smile when I think of how under prepared people are for the simplest of things.

I recall a situation when I was 14, yep, 14! We were in Elko Nevada for a select league soccer tournament. I was riding with my friend and his mom, she rented a Ford Expedition so she could drive all the kids back and forth from the fields and the hotel.

We got a flat. I don't remember if Kim had a cell phone back then. Anyways out of the 6 kids and one adult in the car, I was the only one who knew where the spare was, how to get it down from under the rear of the car, as well as actually change the tire.

My dad was always wrenching on cars. I learned a lot from him at a young age, that combined with his genes mixed in I guess I've always been one to want to be able to do it myself.

My wife never learned these things, you bet she learned from me the moment we started living together.

OP I commend your patience! I don't think I'd be as kind. The moment he stated that he didn't want to take me up on my offer to teach, I would have stated that he is no longer welcome to ask me for any favors like the one you provided. He can just wait for his insurance to take care of him, since it's what he pays for.

When I was a kid (that poop stain's age) I had a dead battery and it would not even hold a charge with a charger. So I emptied out a back pack, hiked to the auto store and carried a battery back to my place. I guess I could have called someone to give me a ride but I did not want to bother anyone on a Saturday morning.

Im pretty sure it was up-hill both ways.

All that time on their phones and they can't youtube how to change a tire.
I use youtube for everything.

I used to work for AAA and was always amazed at how many college age kids can't change a tire.
They wait an hour to have someone change their tire in 10mins, including paperwork.

I would throw a few jabs in when they were with their girlfriends.
The calls to help the college age ladies I never minded though.

I've often felt like I should open my own business teaching a class on life basics to high school grads.

I changed my first tire when I was about 12 years old.
My friend was 16 and we got a flat in the woods. As she was reading the owners manual on step two, I was tightening the bolts.

Maybe I was always mechanically inclined. But it's pretty freaking easy

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top