JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yes, it's happened, like many of you said it would way back when I first posted here: I've outgrown my first gun and am itching to spend some money on something else. But what to do with this one? I have a couple of questions.
  • Do stores take trade-ins? I've got my eye on a Beretta PX4 at Cabela's, so I'm wondering if they'd take my S&W Shield 380 in partial payment.
  • If they do take trade-ins, should I actually go for that or is it worth my time (meaning, am I likely to get more money) if I try to sell it privately?
  • If a private sale is the better way to go then...how? Classifieds? If I get a buyer that way, do I have to find an FFL holder to effect the transfer? (I'm in Oregon, btw.)
  • If I go the private route and don't need an FFL holder for the transfer, should I nevertheless meet them at a neutral location, for safety's sake?
Any recommendations/advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

Everyone's just going to tell you to just keep the first and go ahead and buy a second and then really get started!

I've sold guns for profit, for loss, and for a wash. Just like almost any used product of any sort, you need to accept that you'll most likely take a loss, breaking even should feel good, making money is unusual. Just like almost any used product of any sort, you are going to get the worst return as a trade-in to a shop towards a replacement. Unless you're attached to buying a brand new replacement gun, you can offset that loss on your end by trying to find a good deal on a used one of what you want on the classifieds here and see some savings over retail. Ideally you could find someone who even would want to work out a trade with you and the amount of +/- cash on either your or their end is minimal. I would recommend posting a "For Sale/For Trade" ad here with both a reasonable cash price (in most cases probably less than what you paid originally, including for accessories) and a list of any other guns you're trying to acquire and whether you've got cash to add on top of your gun.

In private sales in Oregon, it needs to go through an FFL. It's most common to either name a preferred shop that you want to do the transaction at or a geographical area you're willing to meet in, specifics negotiable. In most cases the buyer will pay the fees, though that's negotiable, and if you're trading usually both folks cover their own fees. I believe the only reason you wouldn't need an FFL is if the gun is a C&R (maybe that's true based on your username) or among close family, so the question about a neutral location is sort of moot, though in general that's good practice for selling/buying other items on these classifieds.

You might also ask a store employee at Cabela's if they know of any upcoming sales on the gun you want, like for Black Friday or Christmas.

-Most stores take trade-ins, you'll likely get $120-$140 for your S&W Shield. LGS's take trades and I believe Cabela's does, I don't think Sportsman's Warehouse does.
-You'll definitely get more selling it yourself ($250-$300), it's a matter of whether it is worth it to you to deal with it.
-The Classifieds here are a good way to go. Oregon requires you to go through an FFL.
-You're in Oregon, so a moot point.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads