JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to get my first Long Range Precision Rifle. I am targeting the calibers of 300 PRC or 338 LM. I am still open for thoughts on which caliber, both get out to approx the same yardage. The 338 LM has the most energy at the longer ranges I believe. The real question is which rifle should I start with? I have primarily been researching two rifles.
  • Ruger Precision Rifle
  • Christensen Arms Modern Precision Rifle, steel barrel
Not sure how far I will be shooting at first, I would like to get out to 1,000+ yards at some point. They are close in price but, very different in form and function. Thoughts on these two or other suggestions please. Happy to provide more information if needed.

Just a thought, those two calibers are going to be pretty heavy hitting (on your end) for extended practice sessions. I'm assuming you are new to long range and will need to spend a lot of time shooting to develop technique and good habits. There's nothing wrong with a .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor for 1000 yards. There will be a cost difference in reloading for the larger rounds as well. As far as rifles go, you will get lots of responses but it comes down to what you're confident in. The two you mentioned are great and a couple others that offer a lot of performance per dollar are the Tikka CTR and Bergara HMR.

The .338LM is a great way to spend as much $$$$ a year as you might on any other expensive thing. The cases are costy to start with, and so are even the 'cheapest' bullets - not that you'd actually BUY the cheapest bullets, because you are looking for long-range accuracy, right? Berger or JLK are the preferred option here in yUK for reloading, with factory stuff at around $625 or so per C.

cartr338lapuamagap485__74132.jpg Quick View
.338 Lapua Magnum 300Gn 10 Round Pack - Collection Only
£49.77
In stock

They also use a LOT of powder. And as Arne K notes, you are going to need a substantial mount of lying-down-style range time to become proficient with whatever load it is that you settle on. He further notes - correctly IMO - that if you are going to limit yourself to around a thousand yards, more of less, then TBH the .338LM, as used by CoH Craig Harrison to drop a Taliban MG team at almost 3000 yards, is going to be wasted.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is an established long-range winner, is easy to load, gentle to shoot, especially from prone [and have you actually FIRED a .338LM from prone?] and around 1/3rd the price to shoot.

Of course, you might also be a millionaire - we have no way of knowing - and all our advice is just f*rting in the wind.

Last Edited:
Just a thought, those two calibers are going to be pretty heavy hitting (on your end) for extended practice sessions. I'm assuming you are new to long range and will need to spend a lot of time shooting to develop technique and good habits. There's nothing wrong with a .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor for 1000 yards. There will be a cost difference in reloading for the larger rounds as well. As far as rifles go, you will get lots of responses but it comes down to what you're confident in. The two you mentioned are great and a couple others that offer a lot of performance per dollar are the Tikka CTR and Bergara HMR.

Very good advice. Probably burn up a barrel or two in the process of learning with either of the calibers mentioned in the OP.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand when you get to reloading the .338LM, remember all that beautiful super-precise reloading equipment you are going to need. Messrs Redding/Forster/Sinclair will take their next vacations on the Moon from their take on your purchases.

Well, almost.

@tac makes excellent points. You might consider getting a 6mm BR, join a club with a 600-1000 range yard shooting group and learn the craft there. To say there is an immense amount of skill involved when long range shooting would be a gross understatement.
Then graduate to the 338LM and get your 1, 1.5 and 2 mile badges.
The .338LM is a great way to spend as much $$$$ a year as you might on ocean yacht racing.
Nice analogy but not even in the same orbit. My brother was a minor owner of a racing yacht in CA over less than five years, and just the slip fees cost more than all the money I have spent on guns, ammunition and gear in my entire life. That doesn't include any maintenance or incidentals.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand when you get to reloading the .338LM, remember all that beautiful super-precise reloading equipment you are going to need. Messrs Redding/Forster/Sinclair will take their next vacations on the Moon from their take on your purchases.

Well, almost.
Well, at least one or two month's greens fees at your golf club, depending on how much you play.

Had a 338 Lapua. Still have all the reloading gear. Getting to places where I could shoot 1K uninterrupted was never easy, so 98% of the time the longest I could shoot it was 300 yards. Sold it to a buddy six years ago for 85% of what I paid for it. He has had it out shooting 3x since then, and I have been with him two of those times.

@tacNice analogy but not even in the same orbit. My brother was a minor owner of a racing yacht in CA over less than five years, and just the slip fees cost more than all the money I have spent on guns, ammunition and gear in my entire life. That doesn't include any maintenance or incidentals.

My comment was in the nature of what those of us had to learn English as literal hyperbole, a comment intended to denote a deliberately over-exaggerated notion for effect, rather than a true, or even partially-true statement of fact. To make amends for my over-use of it, I have removed it from my post, hoping that it will still make sense.

I am brand new to the long range shooting game as well and strongly considered the Ruger.

In the end, though, I chose a Savage 12FV in .308. Why? Because I know that I can't shoot 1000 yards right now and will be starting much closer and slowly pushing out.

.308 over 6.5 because factory loads are cheaper and I'm still acquiring reloading gear.

The Savage model 12 because it's a no nonsense rifle. Also, because I got it for ~$320 out-the-door, new, and could easily resell for half that and get rid of it quickly.

If I ever feel like anything about that Savage is holding me back, I can always replace the stock or barrel. But honestly, I probably won't.

I'll shoot that Savage until my skills as a shooter are good enough to max out the rifle. At that point, I'll have the reloading setup and will then consider another rifle/caliber to continue pushing out. To each their own, though. Good luck!

My comment was in the nature of what those of us had to learn English as literal hyperbole, a comment intended to denote a deliberately over-exaggerated notion for effect, rather than a true, or even partially-true statement of fact. To make amends for my over-use of it, I have removed it from my post, hoping that it will still make sense.
Ah, c'mon. Reading the hyperbole was like a comical breath of fresh air. Don't remove it!

Thanks for the reminder of figures of speech. I tend to be thick at times, and usually then too literal.

go smaller to refine your fundamentals. nothing wrong with 223 to get the fundamentals down. 308 and the 6.5s are also good rounds to start out with and easier on the wallet long term. also another thing to think about is barrel life as those two rounds are roughly 1500k-ish before you need to think about replacing it.

Over 1000 yards is the starting point for .338LM. The 6.5CM will get you to 1000+ yards.

My very first shot with the then-new .338LM AI British long-range sniping rifle took place in the rain at Warminster School of Infantry Weapons Wing in the early 90's. The target was an old, beat-up Land-Rover with no top, dolled up as a radio CP. It was, according to the handy little map, a tad over 1560m away up a hillside. A quick bit of math gave me the hold for a slightly uphill range of 1585m. My shot went through the windshield frame and into the stack of 'radios' in the back.

I was very happy.

My very first shot with the then-new .338LM AI British long-range sniping rifle took place in the rain at Warminster School of Infantry Weapons Wing in the early 90's. The target was an old, beat-up Land-Rover with no top, dolled up as a radio CP. It was, according to the handy little map, a tad over 1560m away up a hillside. A quick bit of math gave me the hold for a slightly uphill range of 1585m. My shot went through the windshield frame and into the stack of 'radios' in the back.

I was very happy.

Exactly. If you're not shooting in the 3/4-mile+ neighborhood, .338LM is over kill and a waste. People reach out to 1000 with 16" 308's, the Lapua is just silly at that range.

Cartridge choice notwithstanding, there are MUCH BETTER options out there than Ruger's "Precision Rifle".

Yes, I have actual experience.

Good ol fashioned .308 is going to be a super easy learning curve for you, the Mil. and most experts have plenty of established data for this cartridges performance and the rifles that do best with them! A nice tuned Remington 700 ( I can believe i'm recommending one) in the M-24 config with the R-5 rifling will certainly take you to the very outer limits of what that caliber is truly capable of! Savage is also making some exceptional rifles in this chambering, with the 10 FCP or 10 T-SR being tops! :)
Wait until you get board shooting tiny little 6 in groups at a grand, then think about bigger and meaner chamberings like the .300 Win Mag, or the .338 L.M.
And don't forget, the Grand Daddy of long range, the mighty .30/06 properly loaded is more then capable of 2200+ meters in a well built and tuned rifle!

Good ol fashioned .308 is going to be a super easy learning curve for you, the Mil. and most experts have plenty of established data for this cartridges performance and the rifles that do best with them! A nice tuned Remington 700 ( I can believe i'm recommending one) in the M-24 config with the R-5 rifling will certainly take you to the very outer limits of what that caliber is truly capable of! Savage is also making some exceptional rifles in this chambering, with the 10 FCP or 10 T-SR being tops! :)
Wait until you get board shooting tiny little 6 in groups at a grand, then think about bigger and meaner chamberings like the .300 Win Mag, or the .338 L.M.
And don't forget, the Grand Daddy of long range, the mighty .30/06 properly loaded is more then capable of 2200+ meters in a well built and tuned rifle!

I consider .308 a "mid range" cartridge, past a grand it's gonna get pretty dicey.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews