JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just subscribe to dropping an elk on public land and sprinting to it so no other "hunter" will beat you to it and shoot it in the neck then tag it.

Kind of hard to sprint to a long distance shot. My son-in-law shot a nice bull two years ago at that kind of distance. When he got to it, three other "hunters" beat him to it and it had their tag on it. Didn't even show signs of another bullet hole. They got really testy when he complained. He left empty handed...

This happened in the Chesnimnus unit.

know what you mean... there are some low rent hairballs out there... we were in eastern wash. somewhere around Moses Lake. still burns my backside and that was in 72 just after i got out of the Corps:mad::mad::mad:

Just my 2¢...

If your going to hunt with it:

A. Go synthetic stock.

B. Go Stainless Steel

C. Go with a Tikka;)

Great choice in caliber though:cool:
Yeah, and i also wouldn't buy a leupold. Ive seen too many go bad. For a hunting rifle, its hard to go wrong with a fairly inexpensive burris ffII 3-9×40 with ballistic plex reticle.

Here's some elk that just barely died from a 7mm-08:

View attachment 553547

View attachment 553548

View attachment 553549

View attachment 553550

The first bull is the only one that took more than one shot. He was dead and didn't know it, so my nephew kept shooting. That's the rule.

All four were just marginally killed. Sixty-eight yards to 409 yards.

Three different rifles, but all Tikkas.

P
Im glad you posted those pics pharm. Its funny some guys are saying the 7mm08 is just barely "adequate" for elk. We got to remember hunters success in this state is extremely low. So much in fact that there probably arent too many guys in this state that have actual experience in regards to what is actually adequate when it comes to handily taking elk down. Its not their fault pharm...

my 2 cents...
everybody has their own likes and dislikes in weapons... big or small caliber, dead is dead... for those about to jump out of their chair on my opinion... that doesn't mean that i think it's ok to be hunting elk with a 22... have another beer and sit back down and schedule another double session at your shrink...:D:D:D.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top