JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know this has been asked in the past but I don't want to jump into an old thread or take over someone else's.
Anyway, I'm looking to get my first bolt action rifle.
This rifle will be for the purposes of target shooting and Hunting (deer, maybe elk in the future). I'm new to hunting so I want to get my rifle soon in preparation for the season.
1st. For starters, I chose the caliber 30-06 because it seems to be a very versatile round. Good enough for deer and will work for bigger things like elk and others. This will probably be my only bolt action for the forseeable future. If anyone has a strong reason why I should choose something else, let me know..
2nd. I know I want a wood stock, and am willing to spend a bit (see number 3) more for something that looks nice. I like the look and the extra weight isn't really a problem for me. Also I like the look of a blued finish rather than stainless steel.
3rd. Budget: I'd "like" to stay at around $600, but I am willing to go up to around $800 for quality. Then another $200-300 for glass.

One I'm leaning towards is the Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe (829.99 on GrabaGun). I like the look. I wasn't able to feel one in person though as my local sportsmans didn't have one in stock with a wood stock. I did try the synthetic one they had and it felt good in comparison to the others I tried (Tikka T3, Browning X, Ruger .....something or other, and Bergara B14, Remington 700, - -all of these being synthetic)

Being as this is my first bolt, I want to make sure I don't make a mistake getting the Weatherby if there is a better option out there.

Sorry this post is so long.
Also looking for glass recommendations..

Ruger Hawkeye.

upload_2019-2-27_20-14-15.jpeg

Ruger 77 Hawkeye 30-06 Satin/Blue

I think a Leupold 3-9x40 would go well with something like this.

I love the look of a wood stock but I would prefer a synthetic stock for hunting as others have mentioned.

If you really want a wood stock check out the CZ 557 America and you can get it in 30-06 but I would probably get 6.5 Creedmoor or .308 instead.

I think what I'll end up doing is going to Cabelas sometime soon and taking a look at all the rifles suggested. If anyone has any others feel free to add them. Also I'll do some 6.5 creedmoor vs 30-06 research and go from there. Thanks for the input everyone

If your going to hunt with it:

A. Go synthetic stock.

B. Go Stainless Steel

C. Go with a Tikka

I agree with A and B. C is one of several options, but a good one that fits your budget.

On cartridge, I try to encourage new buyers to avoid thinking in terms of a do-everything load. It sounds appealing at first, but you soon realize that 90% (or all) of your hunting for the first several years will be medium game (deer-size). I think it's better to optimize the cartridge for this size game. It will recoil less, you'll shoot it better, and you can house it in a lighter rifle. Personally, I think 7mm-08 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor both fit this role well. There are others.

When you're ready to hunt elk, you'll be more experienced and you'll have new ideas about a rifle optimized for that size game.

I think what I'll end up doing is going to Cabelas sometime soon and taking a look at all the rifles suggested. If anyone has any others feel free to add them. Also I'll do some 6.5 creedmoor vs 30-06 research and go from there. Thanks for the input everyone
I like cabelas a lot, but their gun counter is understaffed. I'd hobtobsportsmans warehouse. Same selection I think and easier to deal with. Prices about the same.

Wood looks nice. Synthetic is the way to go.

30-06 is great but a lot to shoot for targets. Your shoulder is going to set tired. Think about 308 which is REALLY close in power but a little less kick.

6.5 creedmore is great but harder to f'ing ammo in a pinch and you didn't say you were going to reload. 7mm-08 better than 6.5 cm but even harder to find loaded ammo in out of the way places.

Tikka is a great choice. I am a savage guy though and savages all shoot like a champ out of the box. There is a package savage 11/111 hunter with scope, Nikon I think, in 308 or 30-06 for about $479 at sportsman's or cabelas.

Also note that hunting and target are opposites in weight. If you get a good hunter it's going to be a little light for Target. You say now that the extra weight doesn't matter but it will in the field.

On sale at sportsman's for 399 right now in choice of 25 calibers.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting/rifles/savage-trophy-hunter-xp-bolt-action-rifle/p/p32164

Last Edited:
Page 5 or 6 rifle classifieds tikka 7mm-08 Syn stock $500 scappoose.
Great accurate marginal for elk but very very good first rifle and a good price.

I'm not sure how anyone can claim a 7mm-08 is MARGINAL for elk ? marginal at what range ? 400 yrds ,nope, 800 yrds maybe. ive taken elk with a 6mm and 6.5mm, a well placed bullet will always trump a larger caliber poorly placed bullet. keep your range within the proper velocity of your choosen bullet( per manufacturers suggestion, typically 1800 fps or above)to work and place the bullet where it needs to be and you have meat in the freezer!!

Last Edited:
I agree that 7mm-08 will kill elk
I just subscribe to dropping an elk on public land and sprinting to it so no other "hunter" will beat you to it and shoot it in the neck then tag it.

Remingtons, tikkas, savages, bergaras, CZs, winchesters. 7-08, 6.5 cr, 260 rem, 308, 30-06 (any short or long action between 264 and 308+ is a 'candidate' for elk, and a solid choice for deer).

Watch this forum, the local shows, and gunbroker to get an idea of pricing. Sounds like you are feeling things out, and if you watch for a good deal on any of the above combos then you run a better chance of getting some of your investment back if you change your mind.

There are dozens of rifle and caliber combinations that will do what you are looking for.

Good luck, have fun, be safe.

Page 5 or 6 rifle classifieds tikka 7mm-08 Syn stock $500 scappoose.
Great accurate marginal for elk but very very good first rifle and a good price.

Here's some elk that just barely died from a 7mm-08:

IMG_2066_zpsej9a1sn2.jpg

image_zpsywwzuuj0.jpg

IMG_3766_zps2tpww811.jpg

IMG_2988_zps35396acc.jpg

The first bull is the only one that took more than one shot. He was dead and didn't know it, so my nephew kept shooting. That's the rule.

All four were just marginally killed. Sixty-eight yards to 409 yards.

Three different rifles, but all Tikkas.

P

Last Edited:
Harrison; I found you an excellent rifle to get "into" hunting with it's TRICK
In 243 Win(cheap practice ammo) just right for deer and the miles of walking you will need to put in to learn about hunting.

Savage lightweight Storm 243Win = 5.65 lbs 20"
( maybe get a nice wood stock from Boyd's or? Later on)

I think alot of people missed it, but back in December BiMart had messed up and got a bunch of Savage Axis stainless Combos with Weaver 3-9x in 6.5 creedmoor, there mess up was in pricing, they priced them the same as a blued axis, everywhere I looked they were running from 389-415$ , BiMart everyday price was 299$ , then they had a 40$ off any centerfire rifle before Xmas, making them 259$ on sale, and above that Savage offered a holiday 60$ rebate , making them 199$ plus bgc. I bought 3:D:p:).
6.5 creedmoor bolt rifle in stainless with a 3x9 scope for under the price of a 22 rim fire. who woulda thought .

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top