JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is it possible to meet out of state buyer at FFL shop?

Say I meet buyer at OR FFL shop and I hand out my firearm to FFL shop, then FFL shop hand out firearm to buyer.

Btw, do they check buyers background before handing out firearm?

Is it possible to meet out of state buyer at FFL shop?

Say I meet buyer at OR FFL shop and I hand out my firearm to FFL shop, then FFL shop hand out firearm to buyer.

Btw, do they check buyers background before handing out firearm?

Depends on what you are selling. If it is a long gun yes. If it is a handgun they can only be transferred in the buyers state.

Yes the buyer will have to complete the 4473.

Yes, I am selling a long gun to OR buyer, and I am from WA.

So I meet him at FFL shop, then I hand over firearm to the dealer and buyer will fill out the 4473 form and pay the fee?

Do I have to fill out anything?

So I meet him at FFL shop, then I hand over firearm to the dealer and buyer will fill out the 4473 form and pay the fee?

The FFL will have to record in his bound book where the firearm came from. So basically he will want your DL. Then the dealer will have the new buyer fill out the 4473. Who pays the fee will be between you and the buyer.

I would call the FFL you are planning on using, don't just show up at their door. Find out if they are willing to do what you want, some are not. Find out how much they want to charge you for their service. Find out how they handle these situations.

If I purchase a firearm from online and ship it to local FFL shop (WA) Do they charge tax out of price I paid online or they add their FFL transfer fee to price I paid and add tax from that?

How does it work?

I am not trying to avoid the tax fee, I am asking how they are taking it off.

From price I paid online or with their FFL fee added to what I paid or from their value book?

I thought that WA changed the sales tax on just the transfer fee to the total purchase price now. Or maybe they are just now enforcing the law.

Xfer fee goes on the purchase price then supposed to tax gross sale.
I have heard 2nd hand that a few have been warned?
My last handgun sent over from Oregon was tax on pistol + tax on xfer fee and just checked paperwork to verify.

<broken link removed>

You do not need an FFL to sell a long gun to someone in OR, if you live in WA. RCW 9.41.122

Yes you do, all interstate transfers require an FFL, regardless of what gun it is. The law you specified just says that residents of washington may purchase rifles or shotguns from another state, it still has to go through an FFL.

Residents of Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns in a state other than Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such purchase is made.

You do not need an FFL to sell a long gun to someone in OR, if you live in WA.

Very wrong. Have to go through FFL in OR.

But I am still wondering about how tax is calculated?

For an example:

1)
$500 (online price) + FFL fee + Tax = Total

or

2)
$500 (online price) + Tax = Total + FFL fee

I am guessing FFL fee is flat no tax?

Originally Posted by Skang

--------------------------------------------------

The FFl should want to see and record your ID.

"...the State in which the licensee's place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States

WA and OR both allow for FTF...if you read this section of the ATF regs it is legal for a person to purchase in another state (longgun only), if the person is complying with state law just like you could go to another state and purchase a rifle there from an FFl Face to face...the requirement is face to face and state law compliant.

Everyone knows that ATF regs are basically written for "licensees", Right? The reason the wording is as it is... If it is legal to do so in the state, the ATF requirement is it must be Face to Face, only applies to long guns...not pistols.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

"...the State in which the licensee's place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States

WA and OR both allow for FTF...if you read this section of the ATF regs it is legal for a person to purchase in another state (longgun only), if the person is complying with state law just like you could go to another state and purchase a rifle there from an FFl Face to face...the requirement is face to face and state law compliant.

Everyone knows that ATF regs are basically written for "licensees", Right? The reason the wording is as it is... If it is legal to do so in the state, the ATF requirement is it must be Face to Face, only applies to long guns...not pistols.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

That law is written for "licensees" because it only applies to licensees. It's saying that it's legal for two people to transfer a firearm via an FFL in either state, it only applies to rifles because you can't purchase handguns in any state but your own.

If you read up just slightly you'll find the law that applies to regular citizens:

§ 922 Unlawful acts
(a) it shall be unlawful-
(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes

Again jordanka16 is correct...

Briefly...
I am a Washington state resident who holds an FFL-003 License...(and yes I do)

I cannot deliver a C&R pistol or long gun out of state to anyone unless it goes "to" or "through"
another FFL in that state (say Oregon).
However if you are a unlicensed Oregon resident or in other agreeing state I can deliver a C&R to you only in person at the address on my license unless you are the holder of an FFL.

See: ATF 478.96 Out-of-State and mail order sales. (c)(1) (i) (ii) (iii) (iv)

PDX ATF (Group 1) 503-331-7810
Seattle Field Div ATF. 206-389-5800 Either group will clarify it for you.

Hi gentlemen, I'm back with another question, it seems fairly simple enough to answer but I haven't found a solid answer yet.

I'm 20 years old, I turn 20 in June (2 months from now). My understanding is that I can legally buy a long gun and long gun ammunition legally from stores and I cannot buy a handgun or handgun ammunition until I turn 21. My question: Am I restricted from buying a handgun commercially only? Am I allowed to make a private purchase of a handgun? Or can I not purchase a handgun at all, whether the transaction is commercial or private until I'm 21? I've saved enough money to buy my first handgun (a Glock 19 nonetheless) but if I'm going to have to wait til June I'm afraid I'm gonna end up blowing my money on stupid stuff instead. lol.

Thanks in advance.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads