JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Try this HTM Address: Poster 138 - Keep the Mail Safe

Type Common Examples Domestic International Domestic Mail Maximum Amount Permitted in Mail Additional Information Air Surface DMM Pub 52.

Y* should equal YES & N* should equal NO.

Y*Specimens only and with prior HQ permission per IMM and Pub 52, Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail Y**Only with prior written permission per IMM and Pub 52
N*Except as permitted by mailing rules

Y* Specimens only and with prior HQ permission per IMM and Pub 52, Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail Y**Only with prior written permission per IMM and Pub 52 N*Except as permitted by mailing rules

Firearms Handguns (concealable firearms) AIR N* SURFACE N* INTERNATIONAL N* See 601.11.1 43 See Reg. 601.11.1 Except between authorized parties; international mail subject to ICL restrictions/ prohibitions. No content markings on outside of mail piece are permitted.

Rifles, antique guns (unloaded) AIR Y SURFACE Y INTERNATIONAL Y See Reg. 601.11.2
601.11.3 43 601.11.2 / 601.11.3 No content markings on outside of mail piece are permitted

mjd.

Appreciate the responce, thank you-John

As I read it also pokerace. I've been known to be wrong more than once, and sometimes in a row, but on this one I would want to be danged sure. Again thanks-John
EMP9596, it's probably my lack of computer skills, but I couldn't open the files? If you don't mind, give me your interpretation of what it states please, thanks-John.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

I know that you have to be 21 years of age to buy ammunition, does that law apply to private sales?

For more information, I'm looking for .22LR for a ruger 10/22. I'm 19 years old.

I believe it is 18 years for rifle ammunition and 21 years for handgun ammunition so you should just be able to buy it anywhere. Some stores could have their own policies though.

Ah ok, thank you for your response. The cashier at walmart wouldn't sell me a box of federal.

Walmart is the worst about this sort of thing in my experience. They card for all sorts of things like spray paint and BBs.

For everyone's info here are the actual laws.

18 USC 922(b)(1) said:
<broken link removed>
(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

27 CFR 478. 99(b) said:
§*478.99***Certain prohibited sales or deliveries.
(b) Sales or deliveries to underaged persons. A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector shall not sell or deliver (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than 18 years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition, is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than 21 years of age, or (2) any firearm to any person in any State where the purchase or possession by such person of such firearm would be in violation of any State law or any published ordinance applicable at the place of sale, delivery, or other disposition, unless the importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector knows or has reasonable cause to believe that the purchase or possession would not be in violation of such State law or such published ordinance.

Oook... So I'm still hazy on what to do. I found a buyer in Oregon for a Colt that I have listed here, I am a WA resident. I found via gunbroker a reasonably priced oregon FFL to do the transfer. Heres were the haziness comes in... The buyer, an Oregon Officer seemed to think FTF across state lines was ok, along with the Oregon FFL. The Oregon FFL asked me several valid questions pertaining to the sale. Am I missing something here? I plan on going thru an FFL regardless.
Also, can i drive the Colt to the Oregon FFL and meet the Oregon Buyer? Or do i have to ship it?

If it is for a handgun, the FFL transfer has to take place in the buyer's state, if it's for a long gun, it doesn't matter if it's in your state or the buyer's state. But yes you can take it there and have the transfer done, you don't have to ship it.
The only time you'd have to have it shipped from a FFL in one state to a FFL in another state, is if you found a hand gun you wanted to buy in another state, you'd have to have it shipped from the out of state FFL to a FFL in your state so you could buy it.
If it were for a long gun, you could just go buy it from that FFL in the other state.

I hope this was helpful.

This is true, some of them do require it, not legally required to, but per their business practices. You can call around and find one that doesn't require shipping.
I know there is a pawn shop in Beaverton around Canyon and the 217 that does the transfers in house without needing it to be shipped, I forget which one, but I want to say it's A Cut Above Pawn or Beaverton Pawn.

It is Cut Above. I used them when I lived in Beaverton. Great people and $ 15.00 transfers. Just bring your own trigger lock. They insist that every gun leave the store with one. They have 'throw aways' that they sell for $ 5.00.

As some of you know, I have a Arsenal of Bulgaria SLR-95 (AK-47 clone), and I would like to replace the Buttstock and Pistol Grip with K-Var US-Made parts. I'd like to know about the whole "922R" thing, and the receiver is marked "Made in Bulgaria" and I do have some US-made magazines, but if it's 1 part short, will the ATF take the gun away from me? and how do I tell if it already has US-made parts in it? I don't want to toy with the gun too much.

Hey folks, I just had a quick question, didn't think it was important enough to warrant making a new thread though.

Regarding the concealed carry permit in OR, what kind of handgun proficiency are they testing on? Is it just handling the gun? Or are you actually shooting it? I live out in Clackamas County if that matters. I know about the classes over at the PSTC but I'm just curious to see what they'll be testing on. If anybody has any input on this that'd be much appreciated.

I picked up a Safir Arms T-14 Upper for the AR-15 platform. Just want to be sure there are no laws I'm breaking when I take it to a range to shoot. This thing shoots .410 shells. Is there a magazine limit on this? Detachable mags are good to go?

Hey folks, I just had a quick question, didn't think it was important enough to warrant making a new thread though.

Regarding the concealed carry permit in OR, what kind of handgun proficiency are they testing on? Is it just handling the gun? Or are you actually shooting it? I live out in Clackamas County if that matters. I know about the classes over at the PSTC but I'm just curious to see what they'll be testing on. If anybody has any input on this that'd be much appreciated.

No shooting required, just a safety course. No test required. This online course works, and it is free. MD Firearms Safety Training

For a face to face transaction, you need to meet at a FFL holder to complete the transaction.

If you want to ship the rifle from WA to OR, you need to have it shipped to a FFL holder so they can complete the background check on you.

When I bought a AK-74 from a seller in OR we met at an FFL in Beaverton, I inspected the weapon, paid the owner, then the shop owner did the paperwork, cost me $25. I then walked out with the AK and drove home to WA.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top