JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been wondering about the disposition of legally transported firearms when they are part of a motor vehicle crash or when a CHL holder has a medical emergency; is incapacitated and taken away by a "bus".

Deductive Reasoning leads me to believe the weapons are given to the LEOs; I got that much, but what is the process for next of kin (NOK) to get them back?

First or second hand information or a PM would be greatly appreciated.

Addendum; I always leave a note at home (or my packing list) for my family to know which firearm and which of the other high dollar Items I have taken with me....In the event of a MVA, so they would know if something was "lost".:confused:

Thanks

The police would hold the guns for "safekeeping" and when you are released, you can pick them up. I don't think that next of kin can pick up the guns unless you die, in which case, the kin will need a probate order to the effect that the kin is the rightful heir of the guns.

if a member of said family requets the return I believe they will get them providing same last name as the law is written.
Otherwise you would have to pettion jurisdiction in order for return on firearms

The police would hold the guns for "safekeeping" and when you are released, you can pick them up. I don't think that next of kin can pick up the guns unless you die, in which case, the kin will need a probate order to the effect that the kin is the rightful heir of the guns.

Unless you have a gun trust and the person that is picking it up is the successor trustee?! Correct?

I'm not too sure about gun trusts, but I HIGHLY doubt anyone at the police department is going to be parsing legal language of a gun trust to figure it out. They will likely tell you to take a hike until you come back with a court order.

In Idaho it's not a big deal. If I am on a motor vehicle crash as either fire or an EMT and we located a firearm we request law enforcement secure it. If no law enforcement is on site we request a unit to come deal with it. Chances are if you are ok you just stop in and pick it up from the sheriff when you are feeling better. If you are not ok, as in no longer sucking air, I would expect it becomes part of probate and there are procedures and paperwork involved but still probably not a big deal. Here in Idaho guns are still seen as normal personal property and not as evil inanimate objects of death to be feared.

A gun is personal property. As long as it's in a safe condition it can just go with you to the hospital via ambulance and all hospitals have protocols for securing personal property.

Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Last place I want and of my personal property going it with the PD.

Lots of valuable responses; it appears as though the mere thought of legally-owned firearms being in the hands of the jurisdiction will continue to make me ill.

It's also apparent that how the disposition is carried out could be a regional variable. So, I'll ask a couple LEOs from a couple counties what they think.

The thought of my belongings in the hands of a jurisdiction compels me to stay healthy and be the best defensive driver I can possibly be...:confused:

In Idaho it's not a big deal. If I am on a motor vehicle crash as either fire or an EMT and we located a firearm we request law enforcement secure it. If no law enforcement is on site we request a unit to come deal with it. Chances are if you are ok you just stop in and pick it up from the sheriff when you are feeling better. If you are not ok, as in no longer sucking air, I would expect it becomes part of probate and there are procedures and paperwork involved but still probably not a big deal. Here in Idaho guns are still seen as normal personal property and not as evil inanimate objects of death to be feared.
That burnt potato perma-smell seems sweeter and sweeter all the time.:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top