JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Invasive species: on Oregon's "100 worst" list.
No tags, no limit - just ODFW license to hunt, if on Public lands.
No license, no tags, no limit on private land. (Always get permission!)
Who does this, how, and where?
Very interested in hunting these critters, 'cause pork = delicious...:D
Thanks for your responses, I'm looking forward to learning more about this.

There was a good article on just this issue a few months ago in Northwest Sportsman magazine. I tried to find it online but could not. If you can (find it) it was pretty informative and outlined how some land conservation organization was getting involved with it. Bottom line is most are concentrated on private land. Try to find the article.

"In general, there is little opportunity to hunt feral swine. There are still relatively few in the state (between 2,000-5,000 pigs) and most observations have been on private land. If you do see a feral swine while out hunting for another animal and you have landowner's permission, you can take the animal. You will be doing wildlife and habitat a favor."
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/hot_topics/swine.asp

"In general, there is little opportunity to hunt feral swine. There are still relatively few in the state (between 2,000-5,000 pigs) and most observations have been on private land. If you do see a feral swine while out hunting for another animal and you have landowner's permission, you can take the animal. You will be doing wildlife and habitat a favor."
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/hot_topics/swine.asp
Thank you everyone! Good info. and advice.
This may be a fun thread.
Anybody know of a land owner with a significant pig problem that might allow a responsible person to hunt them?

"In general, there is little opportunity to hunt feral swine.
Yep, more hype than hogs unfortunately. Unless you have access to private land where they have been seen you really don't have a chance. In 30 + years of hunting, hiking fishing etc. in supposable known areas for hogs I have seen one killed by a guy who was deer hunting in an area just North of Redmond - and never one 'on the hoof'.

A double-edged sword here. Selfishly speaking, I wish we had a pig population such that we could hunt them at will. But thinking of the folks that are having both public and private habitat destroyed by these pigs, I should never hope that we get a large pig population.:confused:

After I typed this, I had a couple more thoughts...
I watched a hunting show a while back where they were hunting feral hogs on private property in Northeast Oregon. The production was elusive and never did say exactly where they were hunting. Also, I have traveled and hunted throughout the state for many years. I have never seen a feral hog.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
I should never hope that we get a large pig population.:confused:
I can see how certain parts of Oregon COULD have supported larger populations but they haven't and that most certainly rules out large numbers in Central and Eastern Oregon due to limited range, habitat and the cold weather. I suspect some that have them on their property are most likely 'aiding and abetting' their survival for hunting opportunities - for a price. It seems there was an issue with something illegal regarding this this a few years ago somewhere in Oregon.

I can see how certain parts of Oregon COULD have supported larger populations but they haven't and that most certainly rules out large numbers in Central and Eastern Oregon due to limited range, habitat and the cold weather. I suspect some that have them on their property are most likely 'aiding and abetting' their survival for hunting opportunities - for a price. It seems there was an issue with something illegal regarding this this a few years ago somewhere in Oregon.

I remember that too...in part...Ranchers were promoting the increasing pig herds just so they could sell hunting opportunities. The state said they couldn't do that, so the ranchers said watch, and we'll let these pigs take over the whole state. Don't know how totally accurate this is, but it was certainly part of the story that was told to me.

WAYNO.

Don't know how totally accurate this is, but it was certainly part of the story that was told to me.
Seems like this is what it was all about - if I recall one of the 'ranches' involved was West of Redmond, toward Sisters. I recall seeing it when I would head out toward the Squaw Creek area I used to hang out in quite a bit. Nice fences and some 'catchy' name on the big signs all over the place.

I was under the impression that what few there were are in the SW portion of the state. I had also read they prefer oak brush and trees as they like the acorns but of course they also destroy crops too.

Have a friend from the military who is going hunting pigs this year in Texas where they are plentiful.

California treats them like a game animal; have to have a license, tags, etc., the whole shebang. I guess when they get tired enough of them they will open it up, but not right now.

I would like to go hunting them, but where there is good hunting is too far away right now.

Spray oregon has some but there on privet land , the land owners gripe about them and want them gone but if you go ask to shoot them they want an arm and a leg , makes no sense to me they tear up the ground wreck the fence they gripe and moan about them then want to charge . So needless to say I never did hunt them I refuse to pay .

Spray oregon has some but there on privet land , the land owners gripe about them and want them gone but if you go ask to shoot them they want an arm and a leg , makes no sense to me they tear up the ground wreck the fence they gripe and moan about them then want to charge . So needless to say I never did hunt them I refuse to pay .
Thanks for all the replies.
I got on to this by reading the 2015 ODFW hunting regs where there's a paragraph describing them as a fairly widespread problem. Sounds like not so much...maybe a few landowners are starting a hunting preserve? (probably get more on the hunt fees from a few animals than they would have brought at slaughter - haha)
I've never seen or heard them when out. Think it's too cold here, most places. More like a SW US thing.

I looked into hunting them ~5 years ago, & read some habitat preservation study from OSU where the population range was limited to SW & South Central - basically infiltrating from Cali. IIRC the population then didn't reach above the latitude of Grants Pass. It didn't look promising, so didn't bother.
A buddy of mine was the pig/vermin manager at an almond ranch, he commented that they were wily and good hunting - but almost all his killing was done between dusk and dawn. Another lost two brothers to Russian boars in Cali - gored and trampled. Friends in TX who hunt pigs and javelina have to pay because it's all on private land. The only free place they talk about is the beaches along the gulf, but pigs there are rare.

I looked into hunting them ~5 years ago, & read some habitat preservation study from OSU where the population range was limited to SW & South Central - basically infiltrating from Cali. IIRC the population then didn't reach above the latitude of Grants Pass. It didn't look promising, so didn't bother.
A buddy of mine was the pig/vermin manager at an almond ranch, he commented that they were wily and good hunting - but almost all his killing was done between dusk and dawn. Another lost two brothers to Russian boars in Cali - gored and trampled. Friends in TX who hunt pigs and javelina have to pay because it's all on private land. The only free place they talk about is the beaches along the gulf, but pigs there are rare.
Thanks for the replies.
I've got a pretty fair picture of the situation now - and I appreciate your personal experiences.
It was great to hear from you all, and unless anybody can think of anything else to say on the subject, we could probably close this thread., if you want to (don't know how) , or keep at it - either way's OK. Thanks again.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top