Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Feral Hogs in OR?

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by Fox_Hound, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Fox_Hound

Fox_Hound Willamette Valley, OR Member

I've heard rumors of guys poppin' hogs on the coast and in a few neighboring counties to mine (Linn). Even a couple getting whacked just a few miles east of my town. Anybody know if these rumors are true? And if so, any idea of a place to chase down the vermin?

2. Mason3379

Mason3379 Oregon City Active Member

Yes, they are in Oregon but I have not heard of them on the coast or in the valley, mostly only in Central/Eastern Oregon. I would not be the one to tell you it is not true though. These things spread like wildfire so it is completely likely that they are on the coast and even breaking into the valley.
    Here is a link from this forum talking about the pig issue.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/hunting/35808-hog-hunting.html alot of rambling but some good info in the middle! There is a map showing where they are now.

A bit more: http://www.northwestfirearms.com/hunting/1944-feral-pig-hunting.html

3. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

jefferson, wasco, and crook counties, there arent alot but there are some.

4. blacktail hunter

blacktail hunter southern oregon Member

I know they have a few in southern oregon in the sixes unit most on privite property

5. WhyteCheddar

WhyteCheddar East of Moscow by the Willamette Well-Known Member

I have yet to see any but I have also been told they are starting to pop up. If its true there will be plenty of them in short order.
    I havent checked the regs lately but last I saw it was shoot'em on sight, no tag required so apparently ODFW is concerned as well.

6. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

I replied to a similar post previously on this issue. The last (and only one) I have ever seen personally was shot near Gray Butte, which is a little North of Redmond, in 2003. It was a 325 lb sow with tusks so definitely feral but since then I have only heard of a few being seen much less shot; and during this time frame I spent a lot of time in this area and did not see any. I do not believe we will ever experience the population of pigs like those in the southern states due to our climate and possibly the lack of food, especially here in the 'East' side otherwise we would be seeing many more but now their numbers are few and far between.

7. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

a friend of mine has a head mount from a hog shot at willowdale, big black bristly sucker. they are out there, just have to find them.;)

8. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

I ran over one on a forest service road in Lincoln county a few years back. After contacting ODFW, I went back with a rifle to the area and shot several more ranging to 200 pounds over a couple of months time. A few of us in the area hunted them hard and killed quite a few, since then we haven't seen any, but there are reports that there are a few still in the area to the east of Devils lake. A word of caution, this area has now been restricted to shotgun only so check the regs first.

9. orchemo

orchemo Portland Active Member

Years ago had a place south of Eugene. Someone in the valley let their pigs run free range. I had several feral looking pigs come across my property. They were not too people shy and I just could not shoot one as it did not seem too sporting.

10. BFR45/70

BFR45/70 Clackamas Active Member

I know there are hogs over in Spray Oregon , I deer and elk hunt 30 miles from there
    and have seen hogs outside of town .

11. jack1122

jack1122 Tillamook County Member

I personally hope for the sake of the farmers on the coast that hogs never move this far west. Just my opinion.

12. RallySoob

RallySoob Salem, OR Active Member

Bait and waite or use dogs to hunt them. I've also heard they are around the coastal counties. I personally never seen a picture of a downed hog so I'm guessing they are very few and far in between. But if you came up on a pack of them with a 30rnd mag locked and loaded you could be a celebrity for a day around here ;)

13. Shawn the Locksmith

Shawn the Locksmith The Dalles, Or Member

I've been watching and reading one of the other "Threads" on this site and seems most of the hogs are over east "Madras" area? I'm going to head over that way in a week or so and take a looksie.

14. gunnails

gunnails Hillsboro Active Member

Are feral pigs good eating?

15. Shawn the Locksmith

Shawn the Locksmith The Dalles, Or Member

Does Jimmy Dean make sausage?? Sorry i couldn't resist. From my understanding..Yes very much so. I for one am going to try to get one plus and process it just like any other wild game.

16. orduckhunter

orduckhunter Springfield, OR Member

yes - IMO, though, the best eating are the young boars and the sows

17. Mason3379

Mason3379 Oregon City Active Member

I just happened to talk to a Two different ODFW game biologist on Wednesday (march 23) and they do seem to have hogs over east. Only problem is they said they are almost 100% on private property and most land owners are not willing to allow hunters on their property due to bad past experience. They did tell me they are more concentrated near the John Day River. I have more info that they gave me but it is written down in my car. Still most is Privately owned property!

18. sgtmajbilly

sgtmajbilly oregon New Member

My buddy and I want to go to the spray area to hunt feral hogs, have never done it, any help or info you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..Bill

19. BBDartCA

BBDartCA PNW Member

20. BBDartCA

BBDartCA PNW Member

Check out the kill at 3:05