JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've heard rumors of guys poppin' hogs on the coast and in a few neighboring counties to mine (Linn). Even a couple getting whacked just a few miles east of my town. Anybody know if these rumors are true? And if so, any idea of a place to chase down the vermin?

Yes, they are in Oregon but I have not heard of them on the coast or in the valley, mostly only in Central/Eastern Oregon. I would not be the one to tell you it is not true though. These things spread like wildfire so it is completely likely that they are on the coast and even breaking into the valley.
Here is a link from this forum talking about the pig issue.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/hunting/35808-hog-hunting.html alot of rambling but some good info in the middle! There is a map showing where they are now.

A bit more: http://www.northwestfirearms.com/hunting/1944-feral-pig-hunting.html

I have yet to see any but I have also been told they are starting to pop up. If its true there will be plenty of them in short order.
I havent checked the regs lately but last I saw it was shoot'em on sight, no tag required so apparently ODFW is concerned as well.

I replied to a similar post previously on this issue. The last (and only one) I have ever seen personally was shot near Gray Butte, which is a little North of Redmond, in 2003. It was a 325 lb sow with tusks so definitely feral but since then I have only heard of a few being seen much less shot; and during this time frame I spent a lot of time in this area and did not see any. I do not believe we will ever experience the population of pigs like those in the southern states due to our climate and possibly the lack of food, especially here in the 'East' side otherwise we would be seeing many more but now their numbers are few and far between.

I ran over one on a forest service road in Lincoln county a few years back. After contacting ODFW, I went back with a rifle to the area and shot several more ranging to 200 pounds over a couple of months time. A few of us in the area hunted them hard and killed quite a few, since then we haven't seen any, but there are reports that there are a few still in the area to the east of Devils lake. A word of caution, this area has now been restricted to shotgun only so check the regs first.

Years ago had a place south of Eugene. Someone in the valley let their pigs run free range. I had several feral looking pigs come across my property. They were not too people shy and I just could not shoot one as it did not seem too sporting.

Bait and waite or use dogs to hunt them. I've also heard they are around the coastal counties. I personally never seen a picture of a downed hog so I'm guessing they are very few and far in between. But if you came up on a pack of them with a 30rnd mag locked and loaded you could be a celebrity for a day around here ;)

I just happened to talk to a Two different ODFW game biologist on Wednesday (march 23) and they do seem to have hogs over east. Only problem is they said they are almost 100% on private property and most land owners are not willing to allow hunters on their property due to bad past experience. They did tell me they are more concentrated near the John Day River. I have more info that they gave me but it is written down in my car. Still most is Privately owned property!

Might as head to nor cal the Teham county. Some huge hogs. 340 killed their in 2010.

<broken link removed>

bow5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads