JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you can find some BLM lands around Ashwood, you will find pigs... I killed one back around 1999 in that area while coyote hunting. It was about 90 pounds or so, smelled like hell and was mediocre tasting. There is a game ranch near there that got into some trouble with the state about escaping animals etc... Clover Creek Ranch I think...

Your right it's not political - just a little 'applied' humor based on the subject matter of the thread. Get used to it and let the Mods do the 'admonishing'.
Good points. We're having a free conversation here; regrets for any offense taken by all caps.
I post/reply and convo in Legal and Political + Off Topic too.
Tried to get away from that here, and appreciate the discussion.

Last Edited:
Spray oregon has some but there on privet land , the land owners gripe about them and want them gone but if you go ask to shoot them they want an arm and a leg , makes no sense to me they tear up the ground wreck the fence they gripe and moan about them then want to charge . So needless to say I never did hunt them I refuse to pay .

ORS 498.180 Sale of hunts for feral swine prohibited
(1) A person may not offer for sale or sell a hunt for feral swine on public or private lands.
(2) Violation of subsection (1) of this section is a Class A misdemeanor. A person may not be convicted under this subsection if a civil penalty has been imposed against the person under subsection (3) of this section.
(3)(a) The State Fish and Wildlife Commission may impose a civil penalty of $1,000 for a violation of subsection (1) of this section.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/OARs/58.pdf

Ha! Just talked to a RV transporter from NE Texas - he tells me they shoot them from deer blinds in the off season. Most of the time he said everyone's freezer is full so the shoot them as varmint control. He also said they can be dangerous if cornered, especially the boars with tusks. Yea he said they are a problem is Texas.

One of my cousins lives outside of Dallas, Texas, and he said it costs well over $1000 to go kill a pig there, even though the ranchers want them gone. It is their right to charge a fee when someone is willing to pay it. He did send me a picture awhile back of a pig he found as road kill not far from his house. Feral pigs are primarily nocturnal, so good luck finding one to shoot. Texas hunters are using helicopters and NVG gear on alot of those hunts, so it gets pricy. Most folks hunting in daylight will only see the sign and damage left behind. . While everyone is arguing over it, the problem is just going to get bigger until it is completely out of control. The state / taxpayer does not have the financial resources to eliminate the pig population. Besides, "elimination" of the pigs would likely get the PETA crowd all up in a wad. Not enough people want to pony up the cash to hunt a pig to effectively control the population. I can tell you from experience, if you think you're going to get a nice tasty bunch of ham and bacon like you get in the store, you will be disappointed. Pigs taste like what they eat, and you have no idea what they have been eating. (They are omnivores). If you decide you are going to pay a landowner to hunt pigs on their property, there is no guaranty you will be successful, and the fee is likely non-refundable. This is a sport I have no need to participate in again.

One of my cousins lives outside of Dallas, Texas, and he said it costs well over $1000 to go kill a pig there, even though the ranchers want them gone. It is their right to charge a fee when someone is willing to pay it. He did send me a picture awhile back of a pig he found as road kill not far from his house. Feral pigs are primarily nocturnal, so good luck finding one to shoot. Texas hunters are using helicopters and NVG gear on alot of those hunts, so it gets pricy. Most folks hunting in daylight will only see the sign and damage left behind. . While everyone is arguing over it, the problem is just going to get bigger until it is completely out of control. The state / taxpayer does not have the financial resources to eliminate the pig population. Besides, "elimination" of the pigs would likely get the PETA crowd all up in a wad. Not enough people want to pony up the cash to hunt a pig to effectively control the population. I can tell you from experience, if you think you're going to get a nice tasty bunch of ham and bacon like you get in the store, you will be disappointed. Pigs taste like what they eat, and you have no idea what they have been eating. (They are omnivores). If you decide you are going to pay a landowner to hunt pigs on their property, there is no guaranty you will be successful, and the fee is likely non-refundable. This is a sport I have no need to participate in again.
Have no desire to do Texas style hunts you describe. Understand why you're turned off by them. Me too - from that perspective. Good observations about characteristics and habitat.
Good comments about taste too; wondered about that.
The only hogs I had anything to do with raising were duroc weaners fed to 220 at slaughter and fattened on watermelon, along with other produce gleanings from a big box grocer we arranged pickup from. Sweet!
Wild ones would be game, young and old - and I'd expect 'em to be anything from rank skank to nutty putty... but nothing like farmland's beast.

How much ham or bacon do the pigs have to eat to taste like that? :s0084:

I did shoot a pretty good sized tusker years ago while stationed in Hawaii (Oahu). Yes, they have feral pigs running around there as well. The Big Island has Peccary that were brought over by sailors in the 1800's, (you can hunt them with pistol in Volcanoes NP) but the ones on Oahu are domestic pigs gone feral. That pig was nasty tasting, no matter how it was cooked / cured. The wife has a nephew in Tillamook that took to raising pigs, and we bought one for slaughter a couple years ago. He had a lot to learn about feeding pigs, and we were early on his learning curve. What a deal!

I did shoot a pretty good sized tusker years ago while stationed in Hawaii (Oahu). Yes, they have feral pigs running around there as well. The Big Island has Peccary that were brought over by sailors in the 1800's, (you can hunt them with pistol in Volcanoes NP) but the ones on Oahu are domestic pigs gone feral. That pig was nasty tasting, no matter how it was cooked / cured. The wife has a nephew in Tillamook that took to raising pigs, and we bought one for slaughter a couple years ago. He had a lot to learn about feeding pigs, and we were early on his learning curve. What a deal!

Hmmm…Interesting.

I hunted pigs for many years on the Big Island: quail, turkey and chucker too for that matter. Never once did I hear about peccaries being brought over by sailors or anyone else. I just looked at game laws for hunting in Hawaii. They don't mention peccary at all: not as a game animal; not as a protected animal.

They didn't mention them in the game laws when I was stationed over there either.

What kind of whiskey are you drinking Bill? :)

Four of my buddies just went down to E Texas and spent 3 days at ranch. Got 10 hogs and brought back around 400 lds of meat. they took it to Butcher Boys here in Vanc and had it processed. The Italian sausage was real good. Haven't tried the chops yet.

update: Chops were tough as nails. Not bad tasting but not great, definitely need a half hour in the pressure cooker.

Last Edited:
Four of my buddies just went down to E Texas and spent 3 days at ranch. Got 10 hogs and brought back around 400 lds of meat. they took it to Butcher Boys here in Vanc and had it processed. The Italian sausage was real good. Haven't tried the chops yet.

update: Chops were tough as nails. Not bad tasting but not great, definitely need a half hour in the pressure cooker.
Something like this?
<broken link removed>

Not that one Ed, they did the Hunting Hogs Texas. It has a few bad reviews but they had a good time and got hogs. Its around $350 per person not including some extras you have to pay. No choppers :(

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top