JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Between 2,000 and 5,000 wild pigs roam central and southwest Oregon
I do not believe it. I am no expert but what I am is a 30+ year resident of Central Oregon who has hunted, hiked, fished, camped and quad rode all over Central Oregon and I have seen only one dead pig. There are probably less than 2000 bears in this same general area and I see them often.

I have posted on this subject before as my wife's family has a large place in the Ashwood area and most of the ranchers try their best to keep the pigs shot out as soon as they find evidence they are in the area. They are extremely hard to find due to the terrain, plus they are very smart.

In Oregon many of the populations were transported in by folks that wanted to have feral hogs on hand for hunting, and I would expect this is also the case in Washington. Also, the released pets, escapees from farms, etc. may contribute.

Heck, you could go to Texas and they will GIVE you hogs to transplant. Why the fuss over a tiny population in OR that can't easily get across to greater WA? The emphasis by OFG is on the wild hogs..?

I have posted on this subject before as my wife's family has a large place in the Ashwood area and most of the ranchers try their best to keep the pigs shot out as soon as they find evidence they are in the area. They are extremely hard to find due to the terrain, plus they are very smart.

This is probably the best answer yet. Most people do not understand how sneaky pigs can be. At one time they were apex predators..

Last edited by a moderator:
I hunted them on a ranch out of Shaniko for a couple months until it got hot. Time to get back there. We found a good travel route, plenty of sign and torn up ground, no meat hanging yet though.

We did come across an Aoudad carcass that was pretty fresh. Along with the boars that were released there were also a number of exotic sheep. Some of them are still around.

Not to hijack the thread but this is a pretty good article on Ashwood and the exotics and boars.
<broken link removed>

Along with the boars that were released there were also a number of exotic sheep. Some of them are still around.

Not to hijack the thread but this is a pretty good article on Ashwood and the exotics and boars.
<broken link removed>

The sheep you speak of are Barbary Sheep and are from the old game ranch up in that area. I heard that a few months back a rancher bagged one in a very rugged area. We were planning to go up in the area but the fire danger was too great to take a vehical in there. That is one of the ranchers biggest worries as people trespass and do not realize an exhaust system is a fire starter.

Yep, one and the same. There are (were?) a few other species too. Corsicans, Mouflons, Hawaiian Black Corsicans. One or two more maybe that were mentioned in the bubba link. It adds another level of fun to hunt out there knowing you could end up harvesting any of those.

Last time out I saw a really nice buck bedded down on the other side of the creek in the pics. Starting to see antelope around Antelope again too! No sheep yet though, or boars!!

Trespass out there and fire danger is likely not gonna be your biggest problem!

Heck, you could go to Texas and they will GIVE you hogs to transplant. Why the fuss over a tiny population in OR that can't easily get across to greater WA? The emphasis by OFG is on the wild hogs..?

I am not sure I understand what you are getting at. Basically, the fuss over feral hogs by ODFW is that once populations reach over a certain number it will be impossible to stop a growing population, and Oregon will end up having the same problems as Texas.

I am not sure I understand what you are getting at. Basically, the fuss over feral hogs by ODFW is that once populations reach over a certain number it will be impossible to stop a growing population, and Oregon will end up having the same problems as Texas.

They carry disease's that are very detrimental to livestock. You would not believe the damage a few pigs can do to a Alfalfa field in one night. In Texas they cost farmers and ranchers multi-millions in crop damage annually. They will also wipe out native native game birds that nest on the ground. You also have a starting population of ferals up in the Yelm Wa. area.

<broken link removed>

I missed the above somehow.?

He talks about hunting off the loop road and on little trout creek, none of that is public. And I know they never got permission from us or the neighbors north of us and he was asked to leave. I think this might be the same guy.

What a small world we live in.

I get that and it may be a legitimate concern in OR.. my comments were directed at how easy it would be to get hogs for transplant to WA State from anywhere if you were so inclined (please don't)

They carry disease's that are very detrimental to livestock. You would not believe the damage a few pigs can do to a Alfalfa field in one night. In Texas they cost farmers and ranchers multi-millions in crop damage annually. They will also wipe out native native game birds that nest on the ground. You also have a starting population of ferals up in the Yelm Wa. area.

Any links or info on the Yelm thing? Are they feral from some local hog farm?

From what I have heard second hand they are domestic's gone feral in the Yelm area. I live in WA State and I am not up to date on what the state here plans on doing for a feral hog problem, if and when?. Up on the place in Oregon the family has kept them shot out as best they can. They move around and it's very hard to get the sights on them as it's a lot of acreage and some not even accesible with a four wheeler. It looks like if the rancher's fail to control them the state will step in and give it a go and back bill or fine the ranchers if they get bad enough? I do not know any landowners or have heard of any that do not try to keep them under control.

Capitol Press, (Ag news)

Feral Swine, Invasive Species Council Priority Species (http://www.invasivespecies.wa.gov/priorities/feral_swine.shtml)

<broken link removed> . (I do not know if Wa. has a law on landowners controlling them similer to OR.)

Yes there are feral pigs in Oregon but 95% of them are on private land and the owners will not let you hunt them. The closest state with a decent amount of them is Californa but it is exspensive to hunt them. I plan on going to Texas next year it is still cheaper with the extra travel cost.

here is one of 3 pigs I shot this weekend

hog alone.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews