JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That does bring up another point to ponder too though. Statistics show that the vast majority of felons have a history of criminal activity... that LE actually knows about.

When considering a person convicted of a non-violent crime.... that is simply the crime he actually got caught doing with enough proof to convict them. That doesn't negate the possibility that their crimes where much greater, but lacked sufficient proof, or that is wasn't the only crime they committed but may be unknown to LE.

I guess the point being that it's easy to understand the arguement that someone willing to commit a crime at a felony level has a higher propensity to have, or will, commit other felony level crimes than your average citizen.

That's not entirely fair for the non-violent criminal that just made a bad choice one day and was otherwise fully law abiding... and unfortunate if he pays higher dues right along with the hard core elements... but that's kind of the nature of crime and punishment. If you're gonna play, you gotta be willing to pay.

Unfair or not, they did in fact make a choice... all by their lonesome.... so while it's easy to feel empathy, it doesn't gain much lenient favor in my eyes.

not intending to speak for others but for me Im only referring to violent felonies for this discussion. I dont think non violent felonies should all get removal of rights.
I want a list of felonies that the average American citizen (politics aside) commits on a daily basis. Unless I'm reading his statement incorrectly.

Property damage over $250 in Washington state is a felony…

Lose your gun rights.

But get in 5,000 bar fights and keep your gun rights 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
$250 property damage might be a felony, but only IF you find a prosecutor willing to not plead it down or even prosecute in the first place. Think "mostly peaceful" riots...

More likely to get a felony from a bar fight.

Oregon Possession Laws & Penalties
More than 8 ounces: Class B Violation. A ticket, not a criminal offense.
More than 16 ounces: You face a Class B Misdemeanor criminal charge.
More than 32 ounces: You face a Class C Misdemeanor felony charge.

Tall that to somebody who has a pistol brace or a 14" barrel with what they thought was a soldered/pinned flash hider that wasn't soldered or pinned, just thread locked. Or a person with a 20 round mag in OR or WA that the state says has no serial # and you don't have a receipt before Dec 8th 2022.
> 60 oz you get a city job

Not when it comes to Constitutionality.

The "War on Drugs" is a farce intended to control people. It is no coincidence that marijuana was made illegal just about the same time the NFA was enacted.
"Marijuana" was made illegal because it was in direct competition of certain powerful industries, chiefly the paper industry (William Randolph Hearst) and the petrochemical industry (DuPont), back then it was known as hemp.

Hemp makes better products than plastic (dupont) and better paper quality than trees (hearst)
I meant this paper lol
1682725214409.png

Weed should not be nor should it have never been illegal in the first place.

I also don't believe that your payment to society has ended the moment you walk out of prison. Not until all aspects of your debt have been paid. Including successful completion of probation and full restitution payment.
I can certainly get behind that one.

Aloha, Mark

Just my opinion, I agree with the judge in this case. We've this discussion on NWFA before. One argument for granting contemporary felons the right to bear arms was (if I remember correctly), something like, "There were no felons in colonial times. They were hanged." The judge in this case has gone back to colonial times and later to determine that there is historic precedence to deny felons the right to have arms. It's certainly been an accepted practice in my lifetime. There are examples in English common law, upon which much of original US law is based, that go back to three digits AD.

However, have you ever watched an old movie (Western) where a guy just gets out of prison and the Prison Warden hands back the guy's gun?
That's the Hollywood version. But was it real? Probably in some cases. But in others, the warden may have sold the guy's gun in the meantime!

Just my opinion, I agree with the judge in this case. We've this discussion on NWFA before. One argument for granting contemporary felons the right to bear arms was (if I remember correctly), something like, "There were no felons in colonial times. They were hanged." The judge in this case has gone back to colonial times and later to determine that there is historic precedence to deny felons the right to have arms. It's certainly been an accepted practice in my lifetime. There are examples in English common law, upon which much of original US law is based, that go back to three digits AD.
then this would suggest there is historic precedence to let violent people free. So I guess if thats the case then its probably pointless to suggest we change that now....

then this would suggest there is historic precedence to let violent people free. So I guess if thats the case then its probably pointless to suggest we change that now....
There is a stronger historical tradition of freeing violent offenders from this mortal coil. Maybe that is the direction we should be going. Like in Texas... you kill one of ours... we'll kill you back!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top