JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's not that easy IMO.
why not?

I get there is a lot of subjectivity in definitions but somewhere there is a line that most of society can agree on. Someone convicted of violent crime isnt safe to be free. Currently we keep letting these people go and its clearly a problem.

Someone goes to prison for possessing marijuana where there were no guns involved in the crime?

How about felony theft - such as embezzling?

Once someone has paid their penalty for breaking the law, most who did not commit a crime of violence or have a history of violent crimes, should have all rights restored.
I guess I view it more as a deterrent penalty more than based on if a person is actually an ongoing threat with a firearm or not. You lose your freedom, you lose your firearm rights, you'll be on probation, likely ordered to make restitution. Those are all part of the things a person risks when chosing to commit a crime.

I also don't believe that your payment to society has ended the moment you walk out of prison. Not until all aspects of your debt have been paid. Including successful completion of probation and full restitution payment.

In the case of a revolving door felon, auto restoring 2A rights takes some teeth out of future convictions and penalties. I don't disagree with that either.

That said... most states have long had processes for convicted felons to have their firearm rights restored. It's already on the books! It does take some legwork and requires a case-by-case review, but I believe it should! If you were convicted of a non firearm or violence related crime... you most certainly should and CAN have your rights restored. It's done all the time... but it is a case-by-case basis.

Don't want to pay? Don't do the crime! It's a choice.

.... off topic, but I could add too.... through the same process of having your 2A restored it can also expunge your felony all together. I fully agree with that! If a felon has paid their debt to society and can have their 2A rights restored... they shouldn't have to live out their lives with the limitations and stigmatism of having a felony on their record either!

why not?

I get there is a lot of subjectivity in definitions but somewhere there is a line that most of society can agree on. Someone convicted of violent crime isnt safe to be free. Currently we keep letting these people go and its clearly a problem.
Let's start there then. A sentence that fits the crime. Last time I checked firearms weren't readily available in prison. No bail. No parole. No easy outs.

If one intentionally manipulates/hurts another person either physically, financially, etc. (to a felony level) then I am perfectly ok with them loosing LEGAL access to a tool that has the potential to increase the ease of doing it again.

I'm not into all the humanitarian BS that America loves when it comes to criminals.

You arent going to offend me - go for it.
I could care less about offending people. But I have been banned for periods of times and posts seem to get deleted when I speak my mind so I'll leave it at that.

This forum is about the second amendment. The first amendment seems to get censored from time to time. So I'll keep my opinions to myself.

Hell…. This post may not be here soon.

If one intentionally manipulates/hurts another person either physically, financially, etc. (to a felony level) then I am perfectly ok with them loosing LEGAL access to a tool that has the potential to increase the ease of doing it again.
Thats a simple starting point that works for me. Its simple, if your convicted of criminal violence you should be behind bars.

I'm not into all the humanitarian BS that America loves when it comes to criminals.
I probably agree with you. I say life with no parole.
but that humanitarian BS is whats letting many violent offenders out to harm again.

If you think American prisons are too soft... have you seen the Halden "Prison" thing in Norway, where some inmates live large like its a hotel?? :rolleyes:
Prison should be bad enough that you wished you were dead. And if you get out you never ever have the inclination of committing the crime again.

Thats a simple starting point that works for me. Its simple, if your convicted of criminal violence you should be behind bars.

I probably agree with you. I say life with no parole.
but that humanitarian BS is whats letting many violent offenders out to harm again.
.25 cents is a permanent fix for a repeat offender.

Something like the Halden system, and other similar "humane" institutions.. should be used for the mentally ill and homeless addicts.. that's one way we could reduce the plague of such in the cities... while actual prisons.. I agree should be bad enough to make people not want to go there.

.25 cents is a permanent fix for a repeat offender.
Id be willing to go as high as .50cents but technically capital punishment is another subject.

I support the idea that if you do your time you should have all your rights restored, but thats based on the principle that just doing your time properly rehabilitated the person.
But I'll repeat the real issue is we keep letting repeat violent offenders go. Until that is fixed all the ideas we have here are moot. If they... "we" ...keep letting violent offenders free then yeah they shouldnt have their gun rights back.

Id be willing to go as high as .50cents but technically capital punishment is another subject.

I support the idea that if you do your time you should have all your rights restored, but thats based on the principle that just doing your time properly rehabilitated the person.
But I'll repeat the real issue is we keep letting repeat violent offenders go. Until that is fixed all the ideas we have here are moot. If they... "we" ...keep letting violent offenders free then yeah they shouldnt have their gun rights back.
Agreed. But that will never happen. So I am not going to waist my breath arguing over it. America will continue to get softer on crime. The country and its foundation will crumble. We are watching it in real time. They care more about BS culture wars and made up genders then they do about our countries safety or it's citizens rights.

My concern is for my family and those I love. That's what gets my focus. That's why I carry. That's why I train. I have ZERO faith in the government or in politicians. Left. Right. Or center. #APAC

If you are a felon and want a gun then just buy it illegally. Worst case scenario is you get caught, booked and released. Then just go buy another one and try harder to not get caught this time around. You got nothing to loose. It's us legal and law abiding citizens who are loosing everything. I could care less about criminals or how rehabilitated they are. You made a choice. Now you live with the consequences.

Sucks to suck.

Agreed. But that will never happen. So I am not going to waist my breath arguing over it. America will continue to get softer on crime.
Sadly I agree. Ive debated liberal friends over this subject and its complete feelings over facts.. "we cant lock up someone for life over a mistake".

To my knowledge, simple possession of weed isn't a felony, unless they have a large amount and intent to distribute or sell.

I give zero F*cks about thieves and don't care if they lose their rights.

Committing a felony isn't something that just accidentally happens. There are, of course, exceptions to everything, but I feel as though criminals aren't held accountable enough for what they do anymore. The soft-on-crime mentality of many of today's prosecutors, judges and politicians is just maddening. Hell, a good portion of felonies committed in this day and age are plead down to gross misdemeanors it seems like anyways.
You literally have no clue about this. The average person commits 3 felonies a DAY without knowing it.

Sadly I agree. Ive debated liberal friends over this subject and its complete feelings over facts.. "we cant lock up someone for life over a mistake".
The left loves criminals and hates the law abiding. Todays America is the result. It's all down hill from here.

I don't care about feelings. Hence the reason I won't use your "pronouns" or bend a knee to the woke agenda. Facts are facts.

They can continue to manipulate statistics, hide things, and lie. But some of us can see right through it.

We're not all sheep getting lead to the slaughter.

You literally have no clue about this. The average person commits 3 felonies a DAY without knowing it.
not intending to speak for others but for me Im only referring to violent felonies for this discussion. I dont think non violent felonies should all get removal of rights.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top