JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We often watch movies for just the fun and escapism. And that is a wonderful thing. However, some films make us think and ask questions; be it philosophical, ethical, theological, metaphysical, the application (or misuse) of technology, etc. Many, though not all, of these movies become cherished classics for that reason.

One I watching for the umpteenth time the other day got me to thinking about this question: what are some of your favorite cerebral films and why? What did the picture make you think about and what conclusions were reached? Did you discuss with anyone else and, if so, did they come to the same or a different conclusion?

Thanks for sharing. :)

Oh come on, what did you watch for the umpteenth time? Great thread topic.

I watched the Chernobyl mini-series in this light. I thought it was outstanding, and as I was in high school during the actual events, so it was amazing looking back at it with what we know now and how this played out. Plenty of questions to be asked.

Oh come on, what did you watch for the umpteenth time? Great thread topic.

Blade Runner (1982). I've watched various "cuts" over the years, but this one was the "Final" one. I have a copy of the sequel (Blade Runner 2049), but I haven't had the uninterrupted time to watch said.

And thank you for the kind words.

I watched the Chernobyl mini-series in this light. I thought it was outstanding, and as I was in high school during the actual events, so it was amazing looking back at it with what we know now and how this played out. Plenty of questions to be asked.

That sounds very interesting. If I may ask, which subscription service did you watch this mini-series on? Thanks. :)

My vote is for a slow moving, liberal film starring Bruce Dern with sound track by Joan Baez. 1972 Silent Running
silent running.jpg

We often watch movies for just the fun and escapism. And that is a wonderful thing. However, some films make us think and ask questions; be it philosophical, ethical, theological, metaphysical, the application (or misuse) of technology, etc. Many, though not all, of these movies become cherished classics for that reason.

One I watching for the umpteenth time the other day got me to thinking about this question: what are some of your favorite cerebral films and why? What did the picture make you think about and what conclusions were reached? Did you discuss with anyone else and, if so, did they come to the same or a different conclusion?

Thanks for sharing. :)
"Nostalgia" the original Tarkovsky film. Don't expect a plot cuz there is none. Amazing film but not if u must have standard formula Hollywood movies, have to have action, or don't want to think and try to figure out what the symbolism is that is in nearly every scene. Art through images and profound poetry is the order of the day on this one. Some films are a mile wide and an inch deep. This film is an inch wide and a mile deep.

One example scene is at 1:17:54 mark (film link below). Amazing photography using classic rennasaince styles, white horse is symbol for Europe which is where the father is. Expresses a lot with no dialogue at all.

Last Edited:
Another one that is a simple 1 hour film but such great content and so exemplary of our society at the moment, "Kill all others". One may notice a lot of symbolism in this one too as well as if you pay attention to the names that represent something (or someone) such as past computer pioneers.
1414AA0B-4F23-428B-9BD5-7EA00CAE450B.jpeg

Blade Runner (1982). I've watched various "cuts" over the years, but this one was the "Final" one. I have a copy of the sequel (Blade Runner 2049), but I haven't had the uninterrupted time to watch said.

And thank you for the kind words.

That sounds very interesting. If I may ask, which subscription service did you watch this mini-series on? Thanks. :)
I believe it was HBO.
So which Blade Runner was the good one? I've never watched any of them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top