JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Gifting is okay to do under Washington state law.
My wife bought me a shotgun last year , she paid for it and filled out the paper work , BGC etc ...
The shop knew it was a gift for me.
As long as the gift is to a family member , who is legal to own a firearm you are good to go.
Andy

But wait, there are only 23 posts so far. We need way more discussion and opposite views regarding what is the real issue here. Was it a Glock that he bought for his Dad, or some other inferior made weapon?

A few months back my pop expressed interest in getting his first firearm. I decided to surprise him,so I put a bid on a pistol on gun broker & I won. I had the gun shipped to an ffl close to where he lives & went down with him to go through the process when the gun arrived. I was informed by the ffl that since the gun arrived with my name on it,they could not run the check on my father & that when I was cleared we'd have to go back & then have my pops go through the process. My thought is that they're just trying to double dip on the transfer process. Am I wrong?
A few months back my pop expressed interest in getting his first firearm. I decided to surprise him,so I put a bid on a pistol on gun broker & I won. I had the gun shipped to an ffl close to where he lives & went down with him to go through the process when the gun arrived. I was informed by the ffl that since the gun arrived with my name on it,they could not run the check on my father & that when I was cleared we'd have to go back & then have my pops go through the process. My thought is that they're just trying to double dip on the transfer process. Am I wrong?

"LyleLovett666 If you are legally able to buy the firearm then do so. After you have received the firearm then give it to your father, as family transfer of firearms does not require a ffl transfer if your father is legally able to own a firearm then the process is complete.

i've been giving my boys a gun out of my collection every christmas for the last half dozen years.
never been told that would be a problem

So long as your state doesn't make that an issue, it's fine. In Oregon and Washington, they've been trying to make that more difficult to do.

I think you guys are making this way more complicated that need be.

The law is simple and clear. You cannot act as a buyer for ANYONE, either a prohibited or non prohibited person. If you are buying a firearm to give as a gift to your father YOU ARE THE BUYER, you are not acting as a buyer for anyone. Even with Washington's bastard law you can buy the gun as a gift with the intent to give it as a gift to one of the named family members listed in the I594 exemption.

If it was not a gift, if your dad was giving you money to buy it for him that is a crime (a dumb crime, but still a crime) But that is not what we are talking about.

There is no need to do two transfers. You are the buyer, you answer the question truthfully that you are and then you give it to your dad as a gift. That is 100% on the up and up, there is not even any gray area.
Exactly Right

I was going to donate all my guns to anyone that would take them but the boat sank during the crossing so all you poor baaaassssttttttaaaaarrrrrrddddddddsssssss are just shiiiit out of luck. Wife is really pizzzzed cause now I have to start buying more guns, there goes Disneyland.

In the past year(last Christmas), I bid on and won a handgun for my son that we shipped to an FFL in Kentucky. I paid for it, they sent it to the local FFL there, they performed the background check on my son and Viola!! He got his Christmas gift.
Bought my younger son a handgun at Cabelas that was on sale-they ran the background check on me and I in turn gave it to him for Christmas.

In the past year(last Christmas), I bid on and won a handgun for my son that we shipped to an FFL in Kentucky. I paid for it, they sent it to the local FFL there, they performed the background check on my son and Viola!! He got his Christmas gift.
Bought my younger son a handgun at Cabelas that was on sale-they ran the background check on me and I in turn gave it to him for Christmas.

"Never post anything that can be used against you 10 years hence"
That's what I heard an attorney sayo_O

If your father doesn't immediately go out and rob a bank or murder someone with it...don't worry about it. If he really wants it, in his name, wait 6 months and do another transfer.

It's really not much different than somebody thumbing their nose at I-594 and selling to a friend or family member without the "required" background check. They're pretty sure the recipient is not a crazy, so the transfer should be reasonable. Bypassing I-594 doesn't make them any more a criminal that those folks I still see driving along while chatting on their phones.

I think you guys are making this way more complicated that need be.

The law is simple and clear. You cannot act as a buyer for ANYONE, either a prohibited or non prohibited person. If you are buying a firearm to give as a gift to your father YOU ARE THE BUYER, you are not acting as a buyer for anyone. Even with Washington's bastard law you can buy the gun as a gift with the intent to give it as a gift to one of the named family members listed in the I594 exemption.

If it was not a gift, if your dad was giving you money to buy it for him that is a crime (a dumb crime, but still a crime) But that is not what we are talking about.

There is no need to do two transfers. You are the buyer, you answer the question truthfully that you are and then you give it to your dad as a gift. That is 100% on the up and up, there is not even any gray area.[/QUOTE

Never say the word "bomb" in an air port.
Never say the word "gift" in a gun shop.

I'm glad to see this thread. At Christmas, I was told by a large sporting goods store that I couldn't buy a gun as a gift for my husband. I thought they knew what they were talking about.

I'm glad to see this thread. At Christmas, I was told by a large sporting goods store that I couldn't buy a gun as a gift for my husband. I thought they knew what they were talking about.

A member since 2010!:eek:

Post more please, I at least would appreciate more female opinions on this forum;).

Not sure in Washington, but you could pay the bill and have him there to do the transfer paper work.
In my understanding in most states its not who pays its whom does the background checks and hold possession. So I want to buy a gun for my uncle in bla bla state. I give him a gift card he pays for it and background checked, done deal end of story. I just did this in Oregon last year bought my son a rifle he did the FFL and I swiped my Cabeals card no one batted an eye as he was doing the papers. Its not a straw sale as I didn't buy it, I paid funds and he owned it.
Let me see if I can do this another way. You enter a raffle for a firearm, you win it no one is paying one transfer to you end of story. Check around but in my knowledge its not who swipes the card its whom fills out the paperwork.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top