JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know a pit that I'd let kick my baby. I've also been bit twice by pits. Once in the leg, once in the face. I don't love pits, but, I don't totally fear them either. It has a lot to do with who is raising them and what you want from them. Ironically, it's a lot like politics. Squeezing people/dogs into a tiny, Ill-fitting, box just makes them lash out and do bad things.

I would shoot it, but it would break my heart to do so. It isn't the dog's fault that it has an idiot for an owner that is irresponsible and doesn't keep track of their dog. I would be furious at the owner who put me in that position by not taking better care of their dog, and broken hearted that I had to kill the dog.

For sure, killing a pet dog would suck. But It is better than killing the dumbass motherbubblegumer that let them get out of control in the first place (least from a legal standpoint.)

Why ball ammo? It goes through humans (let alone dogs and other predators) and does very little damage. I keep the ball ammo for practice, and carry Remington Golden Saber
+P in my EDC.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"
[/B]
"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

What if you encounter something bigger like a 2 legged varmint or a bear? Think it won't do the job? I suggest you talk to all the GIs that used it through several wars and research how many dead Germans, Viet Cong, N. Koreans, etc met their demise with Ball ammo. Plus if you are using Ball and you end up in court over it, you won't be labeled a gun nut for shooting hollow points. Plus all my .45 hollow points are handloads. Plus it ALWAYS cycles in that particular gun, whereas some hollow points won't. That about covers it.

Just had a "friendly" black lab corner me in my garage this morning. Real "nice and friendly" individual if you ask the owner, and a great breed right?

I was trying to decide if I should grab the machette, or the samurai sword I had been sharpening. (I was on my way to work on a Navy base, so no gun)

Even "good" breeds can be a problem with bad owners. Funny thing is that the Boxer that used to live in that house until the owners moved got out even more often than this guy, and the only thing I ever was afraid of with him was getting my face wet and shirt dirty.

I've had the unfortunate displeasure of having to finish a job left undone by one of my former crews, and got to experience the further unpleasantness of hanging out in a client's house alone with his steroided-out pit. Didn't realize the dog was there until I came in through an upstairs window with both arms full of things that couldn't be used as weapons and saw motion in the corner of my eye.... his gigantic, bulging head, which appears to be at least 97% jaw, rose slowly above the rim of his cute little doggie bed. He didn't attack me, nor even growl at me.... he just stared... and glared... head low.. silently waiting for me to do something.

Know what I did? I left.

Customer "Oh he's a big sweety.. sooooper friendly." I bet he is.

I've had the unfortunate displeasure of having to finish a job left undone by one of my former crews, and got to experience the further unpleasantness of hanging out in a client's house alone with his steroided-out pit. Didn't realize the dog was there until I came in through an upstairs window with both arms full of things that couldn't be used as weapons and saw motion in the corner of my eye.... his gigantic, bulging head, which appears to be at least 97% jaw, rose slowly above the rim of his cute little doggie bed. He didn't attack me, nor even growl at me.... he just stared... and glared... head low.. silently waiting for me to do something.

Know what I did? I left.

Customer "Oh he's a big sweety.. sooooper friendly." I bet he is.

I worked with dogs as a utility worker for 3 years and was never bitten because I understand animals and was respectful of their space. I also never handed out a treat and only had one negative encounter when I spooked the poor fellow, I escaped OK without harm to him , he was a family pet, a bull mastiff named Crusher

I worked with dogs as a utility worker for 3 years and was never bitten because I understand animals and was respectful of their space. I also never handed out a treat and only had one negative encounter when I spooked the poor fellow, I escaped OK without harm to him , he was a family pet, a bull mastiff named Crusher

Ha Ha! Spooking Bull Mastifs is a pretty low joy endeavor! I'm glad the both of you weren't harmed.

I have had 4 neighbors, 2 Pits a Rottie and Husky-German Shepherd mix who's dogs have come after me, with them in tow, assuring me that they are harmless. I have in all cases reserved shooting the dog as a last resort. I have to go to work and leave my family next door to the folks who have already demonstrated that they have no regard for the safety of my family and will undoubtedly blame me for the situation. Their Hatfield and McCoy mentality produces enmity, when you call animal control after repeated request to have them control their dog so you can have reasonable enjoyment of your property.

If you lived next door and have these things snarling through the fence at your kids and charging you when the owner turns their back on the dog, you might have a different view of things. I watched my neighbors Pit scale a 6' chain link fence and crawl over into the front yard, they are unbelievably determined and athletic dogs. Going to war with the @-hole owners are the biggest deterrent to shooting them, followed by the unbelievable potential legal burden.

My neighbor across the street was bit in the face by her friends Pit. So yeah, it's not jut the breed I don't like, it's the folks that own them, and live in a dream world about them. When reality bites, sadly, it's usually not the owners that get bitten or mauled. The lame rationalizations they make after the dog attacks are equally sickening. The local laws here are way to relaxed when it comes to aggressive dogs.

I have never had an issue with my other neighbors golden retriever, ever.

That dog get out and gets onto your property you will have no legal problems if you end its existence.

This was my normal hiking partner, a 120 lb black eastern European German Shepherd...
Sounds like a really nice dog. I had a beautiful Sable coated Czech Shepherd that was scary smart. He would look me in the eyes for his commands and permission to go. Was gentle as could be with my grandkids and their little dachshund, but I have to say he needed a very firm hand when it came to other dogs arriving unannounced and unapproved by him. He always had my back when we were out hiking. Best dog I ever owned.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top