JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes the dogs ARE born that way,sorry. You take most breeds and don't do much with them they generally won't hurt people.
Rots,GSDs,Pits,and the like have the ability to go after people more so if,IF they are not socialized. And Rots more so than Pits because Rots watch,or are suspect of, everything,not just little animals.Pits usually like people and have problems with other animals.
I spent may years watching my Rot mix and many other breeds interact at the dog parks. Learned a lot about dogs and controlling them,physically and mentally.

And I love dogs,just don't believe there are many individuals capable of owning,I should say intelligent and disciplined enough to own a smart,hard headed dog like a Rottweiler. And even less that should own Pits (throw AMSTAFFs in there since they are virtually the same dog,look it up)

So when I see a Rot,pit,GSD, that isn't in control,I am ready to stop its heart.I have pulled many dogs apart in fights *without getting bit....yet*.
You don't have to shoot to stop most dog attacks. Kinda saves court costs.Many other easy ways to subdue dogs.
Actually I carried a huge folder at the dog park in Lakewood because of free range pits in the neighborhood.A walking stick does wonders over the nose. Pick up the back legs to stop the dog. He can't do much without his drivers. Heck put your leash around his neck and drag him down.

Collar and in front of back leg and lift the dog,then drive it to the ground.
Takes the fight out and then you sit on it with a shin on the neck and the other on the small of the belly.

Problem with shooting a dog is there will be people in close proximity. Things could go terribly wrong real fast.

Pit bulls are the breed of choice among the low brain function crowd.

I've been a UPS driver for 26 years. Dealing with other peoples dogs is something I do thousands of times per year, so I consider myself well-informed on the subject of dogs and the tendencies of the various breeds.

My experience has been that pit bulls are no more dangerous and no more popular among the "low brain function" crowd than any other breed.

My experience has been that it is the unhappy, abused and neglected dogs that are the most prone to biting people. Happy and well-cared for dogs dont bite people.

The two most challenging breeds to deal with in my experience are German Shepherds and Chows. They tend to be unfriendly, and it is very difficult if not impossible for me to "read" their body language. Pit bulls, on the other hand, are far more likely to be friendly and affectionate and it is very easy for me to look at one and determine immediately if it poses a threat. There are currently 8 pit bulls on my route and every one of them jumps into my truck and greets me with kisses and affection when I arrive to make my delivery. There are at least that many German Shepherds on my route; only 3 of them can even remotely be described as "friendly" and several of them are extremely aggressive to the point of being dangerous.

Yes the dogs ARE born that way,sorry. You take most breeds and don't do much with them they generally won't hurt people.
Rots,GSDs,Pits,and the like have the ability to go after people more so if,IF they are not socialized. And Rots more so than Pits because Rots watch,or are suspect of, everything,not just little animals.Pits usually like people and have problems with other animals.
I spent may years watching my Rot mix and many other breeds interact at the dog parks. Learned a lot about dogs and controlling them,physically and mentally.

And I love dogs,just don't believe there are many individuals capable of owning,I should say intelligent and disciplined enough to own a smart,hard headed dog like a Rottweiler. And even less that should own Pits (throw AMSTAFFs in there since they are virtually the same dog,look it up)

So when I see a Rot,pit,GSD, that isn't in control,I am ready to stop its heart.I have pulled many dogs apart in fights *without getting bit....yet*.
You don't have to shoot to stop most dog attacks. Kinda saves court costs.Many other easy ways to subdue dogs.
Actually I carried a huge folder at the dog park in Lakewood because of free range pits in the neighborhood.A walking stick does wonders over the nose. Pick up the back legs to stop the dog. He can't do much without his drivers. Heck put your leash around his neck and drag him down.

Collar and in front of back leg and lift the dog,then drive it to the ground.
Takes the fight out and then you sit on it with a shin on the neck and the other on the small of the belly.

Problem with shooting a dog is there will be people in close proximity. Things could go terribly wrong real fast.

Rotties are great family dogs and very gentle with children when trained and socialized. Germans bred them for thousands of years for family bodyguards and cattle dogs. HOWEVER you are correct that few people are capable and responsible enough to handle such a strong willed and powerful canine

Note you said "Rot mix".. how can you blame an unnatural hybrid on the purebred Rottie DNA? You can't

Dog attacks were one reason I bought a gun in the first place. I used to live in the ghetto, and someone got mauled every week.

Word... I've never really lived in the ghetto, but as a carpenter, I've worked in some. At one point, after getting chased up my ladder by large, hungry dogs one too many times, I finally threaded a .45 holster onto my toolbelt and started packing at work.

To answer the question, bubblegum yes I'd shoot a dog.

One quick story... I generally use a hatchet, rather than a hammer, which happens to also make a decent weapon. One time in the days before cell phones (or at least before I had one) I was over around the high-digits in SE.... 170ish and Division... in one of those bubblegumty little 1960s subdivision pocket neighborhoods that should have been bulldozed 30 years ago.. A very large pit was roaming the neighborhood all morning while I was on the roof, occasionally getting into fence-fights with other dogs and chasing cats around and crap. Classic example of broken-window theory, nobody called the cops all morning. Finally, around 1 or 2 in the afternoon, I went down for lunch. I usually only ate a quick bite while standing at the truck in those days, and as I stood there inhaling a sandwich, I see the dog come galloping down the street in my general direction. I think if that fuccer gives me any grief, I'll lodge this hatchet in his fuccin skull. Sure enough, he sees me, and comes walking toward me with his head low. I think I said something to it, like "the bubblegum you lookin' at?" and started growling at me. Well I was done with my sandwich anyway and started back across the lawn toward my ladder... don't know what it is about dogs, but they sure love when you turn your back on them. He started that rawrsnarlerawr bubblegum and came at my ***. I spun around and reached for my hatchet to rearrange his face......

Stanley_Hand_Tools_PHT150C_Sharpshooter_Hammer_Tacker.jpg

This is what comes up in my hand. Apparently I'd left my huge *** 30oz framing hatchet on the roof.

Boy I got up that ladder fast.

Apparently it had eaten a couple of cats throughout the day, and eventually someone called PoPo. I can't remember if they shot him, or if that was a different incident.. I've actually been in the neighborhood when police have shot marauding dogs a couple of times.

Yep. Towns I lived in were Lancaster and Palmdale, in the very top of Los Angeles County. It's the Mojave Desert, and for decades it was ignored. Mostly it was an aerospace place because of the flight test center next to it. But, they built a prison, and real estate was cheap. Everybody in east LA who got their family members tossed in the slammer sold off their homes, drove up there, bought new ones, and then the whole place went to hell. Murder rate passed Compton, and they all brought their Pitts. Not to say Pitts are somehow the only problem, but they're the favorite in the ghetto, and they cause the most trouble there. I've never seen anyone mauled to death by a Chihuahua.

Any rate, my friend used to keep his Mossberg locked up in the safe. He was playing with his Siberian Husky in the yard and this Pitt comes into his neighborhood, runs right up and latches onto his dog. He ran inside, fussed with the safe, pulled out the gun, loaded it, and by that time a Mexican gardener had already bashed the Pitt's skull open with a post-holer. Luckily the Husky was alive, all that fur helps shield the skin. But the Police arrived, shot the Pitt, and then my friend learned you keep your gun nearby and loaded if you want it to be of any use.

I learned from his lesson.

Word... I've never really lived in the ghetto, but as a carpenter, I've worked in some. At one point, after getting chased up my ladder by large, hungry dogs one too many times, I finally threaded a .45 holster onto my toolbelt and started packing at work.

To answer the question, bubblegum yes I'd shoot a dog.

One quick story... I generally use a hatchet, rather than a hammer, which happens to also make a decent weapon. One time in the days before cell phones (or at least before I had one) I was over around the high-digits in SE.... 170ish and Division... in one of those bubblegumty little 1960s subdivision pocket neighborhoods that should have been bulldozed 30 years ago.. A very large pit was roaming the neighborhood all morning while I was on the roof, occasionally getting into fence-fights with other dogs and chasing cats around and crap. Classic example of broken-window theory, nobody called the cops all morning. Finally, around 1 or 2 in the afternoon, I went down for lunch. I usually only ate a quick bite while standing at the truck in those days, and as I stood there inhaling a sandwich, I see the dog come galloping down the street in my general direction. I think if that fuccer gives me any grief, I'll lodge this hatchet in his fuccin skull. Sure enough, he sees me, and comes walking toward me with his head low. I think I said something to it, like "the bubblegum you lookin' at?" and started growling at me. Well I was done with my sandwich anyway and started back across the lawn toward my ladder... don't know what it is about dogs, but they sure love when you turn your back on them. He started that rawrsnarlerawr bubblegum and came at my ***. I spun around and reached for my hatchet to rearrange his face......

Stanley_Hand_Tools_PHT150C_Sharpshooter_Hammer_Tacker.jpg

This is what comes up in my hand. Apparently I'd left my huge *** 30oz framing hatchet on the roof.

Boy I got up that ladder fast.

Apparently it had eaten a couple of cats throughout the day, and eventually someone called PoPo. I can't remember if they shot him, or if that was a different incident.. I've actually been in the neighborhood when police have shot marauding dogs a couple of times.

As a former carpenter, I laughed pretty hard.

I've also considered, over the years, getting a lightweight pocket pistol of some sort, for running. It hasn't happened in a long time, but in my crappy little town with 40% unemployments and slowly developing necrosis, I've had some very scary encounters with dogs while running at night. Depending on what's going on in my life, after dark is the only time I have to get my runs in, and I always wear a headlamp, for sake of drunk and brain-damaged rednecks barreling down our non-sidewalked streets... the combination of me running and the headlamp on my head makes loose dogs go absolute ape-sh!t. I mean jumping over fences and coming after me kinds of crazy. I had to kick a dog right square in it's face with my tennis shoe (which probably hurt me more than the dog) one night, he'd actually nipped my ankle a little. Somehow the owner happened to get out there quick and reign him in.

This is the kind of situation that really freaks me out, though.... it's pitch asss black out (hardly any street lights 'roun hur), raining, with owners letting their dogs out in the front yard to piss and bubblegum because they think it's 11 at night and nobody else is around... now here comes me, who indeed has every right on earth to be there too, running along, and the dog decides to come at me. What am I gonna do? Shoot him, and potentially get shot by the owner? Shoot him, then stand around waiting for someone to come claim the corpose? Shoot him and then run to the closed police department (which is less than a mile from anywhere in the city, so you can do this) and report the discharge?

I guess I'd just battle it out with a dog for as long as I wasn't getting my asss handed to me.. and if it manages to rip into me real good, go ahead and try to pop a couple off at it and not shoot my own leg or ricochet one into the neighbor's bedroom.

My friend has a couple of Shih Tzu/Terrier mix dogs.

She post her property because they collectively have the pack mentality and protect their property and owners.

However, she cannot even trim the hair on the oldest one.
They are otherwise very loving dogs but I have to help her give him a bath, or trim, when needed because she and her daughter have been bitten by him too many times.

If he knows you, he won't bite you.

They both bit my granddaughter, when she visited. She moved too quickly and they attacked.
He has only bitten me, in the last couple of years, when I tried to scold him about biting his owner. I reached under a table to grab him and he snarled viciously and bit me.

He is still my favorite dog and I would protect him.
We took them to obedience training, when they were young but the continuity was not maintained.

Don't buy into the tale of "A dog that wags his tale is a friendly dog".
That is BS. These dogs will continue to wag their tales while severing your members.

She post her property because they collectively have the pack mentality and protect their property and owners.

They are otherwise very loving dogs but I have to help her give him a bath, or trim, when needed because she and her daughter have been bitten by him too many times.

They both bit my granddaughter, when she visited. She moved too quickly and they attacked.
He has only bitten me, in the last couple of years, when I tried to scold him about biting his owner. I reached under a table to grab him and he snarled viciously and bit me.

We took them to obedience training, when they were young but the continuity was not maintained.

That is BS. These dogs will continue to wag their tales while severing your members.

You let dogs that bit your granddaughter live? How old was the granddaughter?!

My mother-in-law has dogs (maybe it's just one?) that bite, if you're not careful. I'm pretty sure at least one has bitten one or some of my kids.

When these things bite, you give them a wallop to the side of the head and move on with life. They're more gerbil than dog... you don't put a gerbil down when it bites, you just don't pick it up again.

My mother-in-law has dogs (maybe it's just one?) that bite, if you're not careful. I'm pretty sure at least one has bitten one or some of my kids.

When these things bite, you give them a wallop to the side of the head and move on with life. They're more gerbil than dog... you don't put a gerbil down when it bites, you just don't pick it up again.

To each their own, I guess. I open little bitey dogs like that as I would a beer. Twist off and discard cap.

April, 2011 I was hiking in William O Douglas Wilderness on American Ridge alone with one of our German Shepherds (young female but not my normal hiking partner). I was carrying a Beretta Tomcat .32 ACP in my pocket, as I NEVER go into the woods without some kind of sidearm. My dog alerted and I looked up to see two full grown male Rotties come charging in a dead run out of the woods barking and snarling. My dog was leashed. The owner was not in view, but I yelled for him to get his dogs. They attacked, but fortunately were more interested in killing my dog than me. I did my best to fend them off with my hiking staff, but they got around me. I let the leash go and my dog ran. She made it about 50 yards before they had her down, but she was fighting them as best she could. My gun came out and I told the owner, who had just shown up a ways down the trail, that I was going to shoot his dogs if he did not get them under control. I knew with the little .32 I was going to need to be close, and I started to run over to where my dog was getting mauled. All this time the owner was yelling at me how friendly his dogs were, while heading in the same direction. He got to his dogs just slightly before I got there and was able to pull them off. I gave him a tongue lashing he will not soon forget about how irresponsible he had been. He didn't argue. I pocketed my gun and continued on my way. Fortunately, my dog was not too much worse for wear, but this was not the kind of "wilderness experience" I had in mind when I started off that day.

When I got home, I told the wife and she said since I had pulled my pistol, I should probably report the incident to the police. I called sheriff's office and related my story. The officer on the other end basically said he had no sympathy for me whatsoever, as I had the tool I needed and hadn't used it and had put both myself and my dog in more danger than I realized--the message being I should have dropped them both when they first got within range.

OK fine. I don't need to be told twice. No more .32 ACP pocket pistols in the woods for this buckaroo. These days, the minimum is full house 9mm hollow points in a Browning High Power Practical or Kimber Eclipse Pro Target with 230 gr. Ball, shoulder holster carried, cocked and locked, safety on. Once since then I was approached by some big barking dogs on the trail (other end of American Ridge), and the .45 came out instantly, held to my side with the thumb on the safety and finger by the trigger, as I "firmly" told the owners get them on a leash now. They did. My dog was in a sit-stay on a leash at my side, and we were off the trail the whole time till the others went by. This was my normal hiking partner, a 120 lb black eastern European German Shepherd who never gets more than 20 feet from me, never takes is eyes off me, and always lets me know through his alerts when someone is either ahead of us or behind us on the trail. His job is looking out for me on the trail and he knows his job well. Accordingly, I am almost never caught off guard.

I blame the people, not the dogs. Lots of clueless folks take their dogs into the woods and have no control over them whatsoever and then wonder what went wrong when the dog gets lost or gets into trouble.

April, 2011 I was hiking in William O Douglas Wilderness on American Ridge alone with one of our German Shepherds (young female but not my normal hiking partner). I was carrying a Beretta Tomcat .32 ACP in my pocket, as I NEVER go into the woods without some kind of sidearm. My dog alerted and I looked up to see two full grown male Rotties come charging in a dead run out of the woods barking and snarling. My dog was leashed. The owner was not in view, but I yelled for him to get his dogs. They attacked, but fortunately were more interested in killing my dog than me. I did my best to fend them off with my hiking staff, but they got around me. I let the leash go and my dog ran. She made it about 50 yards before they had her down, but she was fighting them as best she could. My gun came out and I told the owner, who had just shown up a ways down the trail, that I was going to shoot his dogs if he did not get them under control. I knew with the little .32 I was going to need to be close, and I started to run over to where my dog was getting mauled. All this time the owner was yelling at me how friendly his dogs were, while heading in the same direction. He got to his dogs just slightly before I got there and was able to pull them off. I gave him a tongue lashing he will not soon forget about how irresponsible he had been. He didn't argue. I pocketed my gun and continued on my way. Fortunately, my dog was not too much worse for wear, but this was not the kind of "wilderness experience" I had in mind when I started off that day.

When I got home, I told the wife and she said since I had pulled my pistol, I should probably report the incident to the police. I called sheriff's office and related my story. The officer on the other end basically said he had no sympathy for me whatsoever, as I had the tool I needed and hadn't used it and had put both myself and my dog in more danger than I realized--the message being I should have dropped them both when they first got within range.

OK fine. I don't need to be told twice. No more .32 ACP pocket pistols in the woods for this buckaroo. These days, the minimum is full house 9mm hollow points in a Browning High Power Practical or Kimber Eclipse Pro Target with 230 gr. Ball, shoulder holster carried, cocked and locked, safety on. Once since then I was approached by some big barking dogs on the trail (other end of American Ridge), and the .45 came out instantly, held to my side with the thumb on the safety and finger by the trigger, as I "firmly" told the owners get them on a leash now. They did. My dog was in a sit-stay on a leash at my side, and we were off the trail the whole time till the others went by. This was my normal hiking partner, a 120 lb black eastern European German Shepherd who never gets more than 20 feet from me, never takes is eyes off me, and always lets me know through his alerts when someone is either ahead of us or behind us on the trail. His job is looking out for me on the trail and he knows his job well. Accordingly, I am almost never caught off guard.

I blame the people, not the dogs. Lots of clueless folks take their dogs into the woods and have no control over them whatsoever and then wonder what went wrong when the dog gets lost or gets into trouble.

I took my 90 pound blue tick hound (bear dog) to an informal dog training area near the Columbia Highway one day. I had him on a hunting leash, which is about 6 feet long and mostly chain. As we walked along I saw 4 or 5 miscellaneous mutts come bolting up the trail toward us, the owners, a couple of women, calling out, "Don't worry, they're friendly!"

They proceed to encircle us and start growling and walking stiff legged. The biggest one was about 40 pounds. Willy, my hound, went into alert mode, which is similar to reaching the second stage on a two stage trigger. This was before I had a CHL, so it being within the city limits, I was unarmed. The women cheerfully continued to tell me how wonderful their off leash dogs were as they approached, but any split second one of them was going to snap at Willy and I knew he'd kill all of them in short order. I told the women in no uncertain terms that unless they got control of their dogs and put them on a leash that mine would kill them, and that I wouldn't try to stop him. They both turned white and gathered up their dogs, and high tailed it down the trail. That's the last time I walked a dog unarmed.

Srsly? If my own flesh and blood allowed this to happen to one of my daughters, they would be covered in dog guts when they arrived in the ER. Solid food and unassisted breathing would be a thing of the past for them.
You let dogs that bit your granddaughter live? How old was the granddaughter?!
THIS:
A dog that bites a person without legitimate provocation needs to be euthanized. Period.
And THIS:
Without question! Bang..flop.

I have had 4 neighbors, 2 Pits a Rottie and Husky-German Shepherd mix who's dogs have come after me, with them in tow, assuring me that they are harmless. I have in all cases reserved shooting the dog as a last resort. I have to go to work and leave my family next door to the folks who have already demonstrated that they have no regard for the safety of my family and will undoubtedly blame me for the situation. Their Hatfield and McCoy mentality produces enmity, when you call animal control after repeated request to have them control their dog so you can have reasonable enjoyment of your property.

If you lived next door and have these things snarling through the fence at your kids and charging you when the owner turns their back on the dog, you might have a different view of things. I watched my neighbors Pit scale a 6' chain link fence and crawl over into the front yard, they are unbelievably determined and athletic dogs. Going to war with the @-hole owners are the biggest deterrent to shooting them, followed by the unbelievable potential legal burden.

My neighbor across the street was bit in the face by her friends Pit. So yeah, it's not jut the breed I don't like, it's the folks that own them, and live in a dream world about them. When reality bites, sadly, it's usually not the owners that get bitten or mauled. The lame rationalizations they make after the dog attacks are equally sickening. The local laws here are way to relaxed when it comes to aggressive dogs.

I have never had an issue with my other neighbors golden retriever, ever.

I can say that being the 15 year owner of a pitbull gives me the insight to say you are completely ignorant about the breed. Pitbulls have a long and treasured American history, from wartime service to the family protector as they are known as the "nanny dog". Petey from Little Rascals was a pitbull.
Yes, they are strong physically and mentally and require training like any other breed of dog, but making sweeping generalizations makes you no better than a person who prejudiced against an entire ethnic group just because you met a few who were bad apples. The same legislation and liberal based drivel you're spewing about a dog breed is no different than the anti-gun rights argument.
Think before you speak. Otherwise I might have to blind you with facts....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top